Phottix TR-80

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Phottix TR-80

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Just recieved one of these (thanks Gary and Poon) it is listed in the bargins section as the TL-80 N1 (Nikon 10pin version - my fault because i told Gary it was a TL-80).

Anyhow, this is a real gem, self timer, intervolometer, long exposure timer all in one at a bargin price. Especially good for any Canon users or Nikon users who have a D80/D70 (no built in intervolometer in those cameras).

Construction feels solid enough, ie not throw across the room tough, but tough enough. The LCD is a little small and the backlight has a timer that is a little on the short side, but this aside it is very usable. Easy and logical to use, you can set up long exposure, interval shooting to a set number of frames (up to 99 shots when you want to set the number of exposures).

I would definately recommend this to anyone who is looking at getting a timer remoter for their Canon, Nikon or even Sony.

I'll post some pics of this remote soon.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: Phottix TR-80

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:55 pm

aim54x wrote:the backlight has a timer that is a little on the short side,

Thanks for the feedback on this.

An advantage that we enjoy, due to our close relationship with Poon, is that I can pass on observations such as this to him so that the product may be improved upon. I'm not saying that it will be changed in the immediate short term (or even ever), but at least we do have a voice that is listened to and respected. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Phottix TR-80

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:46 pm

as promised, pictures. Taken at uni whilst getting bored. As a bonus it was with the new Macro.

Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews