SB800 on Poon's lightstands

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

SB800 on Poon's lightstands

Postby dawesy on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:52 pm

As many forum members have done some time ago i purchased the 2 light kit available through this forum. It's been great and got me some really nice portraits along the way. Recently I also got hold of a couple of SB800s. I had been intending to get a new head with a hot shoe so I could use the stands and umbrellas with it but having not got around to it, I made a wonderful discovery that may or may not have already been made... The ones that come with the it hold the SB800!

It's certainly not what they were designed to hold but it does it well and they are secure enough that I picked up a light stand with SB on it and wandered into the next room without fear of launching in onto the floor.

A couple of quick and dirty images:

Obviously not being how these items are designed to be used I give no warranty whatsoever that this is a good idea!!
dawesy

Re: SB800 on Poon's lightstands

Postby Yi-P on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi dawesy,

I use this method to mount external flashes to these stands as well.

My method in fixing the hotshot into these rails is just simple, paper...

It worked great and the flash sits there like a rock.

Yi-P

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:39 am

I don’t use Poon’s stands but something similar in which I utilise the desk stand supplied with the SB800 and a 1/4” spigot.

Very safe and no electrical problems.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby dawesy on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Here I was thinking I had a brilliant new idea and it turns out everyone is doing it!

I had thought of using the stands that come with the flash, but using the head that comes with the stands means I can combine the SB800 with an umbrella which is good at time.

Cheers.
dawesy

Postby surenj on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Great idea! I should try my 430EX...
surenj

Postby aim54x on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Which Poon stand is this one? I have been considering getting one or two of the Manfrotto Nano stands and umbrellas as a starting point for a lightweight lighting solution. A mate of mine has one and used to use it much like in the picture, often with an umbrella as well.

Nano Stand 001B http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2489

What do these Poon stands look like? Are they similar to the Manfrotto Nano stand? How much? BTW it is a good idea and a great find that the SB-800 fits.

Cheers
Cameron
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby dawesy on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 pm

I bought the Qihe light kit that has two lights, stands, umbrellas and softboxes. The umbrellas are still usable with the SB, the softbox is not as it's built for the studio heads.

There are some images of the kit I have here and you can see above how the SB800 attaches. The kit itself is really very good for the money.

Any other qs let me know!

cheers.
dawesy

Return to Equipment Reviews