Starting to get weary of Apple

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Starting to get weary of Apple

Postby ozimax on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:56 pm

I like Apple products and have done so for 4-5 years now.

My 2007 (still under warranty) Macbook has carked it. Well, sort of. It is a continuing kernel problem. I have re-installed OS X several times, but nothing seemed to work for any length of time. Today it locked up for good. Not a happy camper as I'm about to embark on a 7 week (business) trip come Saturday. I rang my local Apple dealer and was told I'd have to join the service queue. When I explained that I was leaving for an extended trip this week, I was told that to get in the priority queue would cost me $140 an hour for labour! We eventually came to an agreement and they have hopefully put me in some sort of priority.

I have a feeling that as Apple becomes more price competitive, their quality control declines. My daughter's Macbook (2007) has had small problems since new, my son's Macbook (2006)had to be rebuilt under warranty. Oh, and the cover on my Macbook has cracked and is awaiting replacement under warranty.

Am I alone in this or are others having quality control issues with Macs?

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Starting to get weary of Apple

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:43 pm

ozimax wrote:Oh, and the cover on my Macbook has cracked and is awaiting replacement under warranty.

Hairline crack on the fascia adjacent to the touchpad?

I had that, plus a pixel line in my LCD. Both replaced under warranty just after my return from the US.

They tried to pull the extra cost for expedited service line with me. I pointed out to them that the unit was under warranty, and that there was no way that I was going to pay anything for warranty service. Dropped the unit in on A Wednesday morning, back the next evening, all problems fixed.

I then had an issue with an Eye-TV USB stick that was faulty, and caused, in turn, my system board to fry its USB ports. Same story, same response from me ... unit dropped in on Tuesday arvo, back in my hands by CoB Thursday.

Part of the issue that you're facing though might be your location, and a lack of proximity to spare parts. Spares are, apparently, closely held by Apple, and only released subsequent to problem diagnosis.

Who are your local service agents?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aaron1 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:22 pm

"Who are your local service agents?"

fair comment gary,
my family live in the Coffs area and are mac users. To this day i have never heard them say one positive comment regarding your local Coffs Mac dealer. Their last purchase was online and frequently come up to the gold coast to deal with the mac place here. (whom i give the thumbs up to - and im a pc user!)
just my 3c.
Good luck with it.

AP
:)
aaron1

Postby ozimax on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:22 pm

ozimax wrote:Oh, and the cover on my Macbook has cracked and is awaiting replacement under warranty.

gstark wrote:Hairline crack on the fascia adjacent to the touchpad?

Yep that's it.

gstark wrote:They tried to pull the extra cost for expedited service line with me. I pointed out to them that the unit was under warranty, and that there was no way that I was going to pay anything for warranty service. Dropped the unit in on A Wednesday morning, back the next evening, all problems fixed.

Hopefully this will be the case with mine. I did a quick search through some Mac forums - some are saying that a firmware upgrade will fix the kernel panic, others that a mainboard/heatsink will be required.

gstark wrote:Part of the issue that you're facing though might be your location, and a lack of proximity to spare parts. Spares are, apparently, closely held by Apple, and only released subsequent to problem diagnosis.

I think you're on the mark here Gary, the dealer has to wait for everything from Apple.

gstark wrote:Who are your local service agents?

Coffs Computing Services. I know the owner well, he's a very good bloke but it's only a small business in regional NSW.
ozimax

Postby carla_d on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:36 pm

my iMac has been great. but i've always been a bit wary of Apple's notebooks. i used a friend's macbook pro for a while and found it overheated really badly. i've also know people who had problems with the Air (and had to get it replaced more than once). but i know others who use macbooks and have no problem with them. is your dealer helpful?
carla_d

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your problem Max but I really do believe that this kind of service is across the board these days.

A few weeks ago my MacBook would not shut down properly and I searched and searched the forums trying to find an answer. There were literally hundreds of suggestions and none would fix my problem.

Finally the problem was solved by running Cocktail - a great program that tends to get rid of that which annoys :up:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby photohiker on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:14 pm

Like any IT, the issue is not whether the system breaks, but how good the service is when it does.

Can't help feeling this is more store related than Apple related.

Wonder how you'd go taking it to the 'Guru' at the Apple Store in Sydney...

Michael
photohiker

Postby ozimax on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and yes Chris, I will have a look at the programme you mentioned.

I went back to the dealer today. Response? "We haven't had time to look at it this week," to which I replied, "Thanks mate, I'll take it back thank you very much!"

I have since performed a zero out hard drive erase and have re-installed the operating system (for the 3rd time in 3 weeks). If this fails, I may try to take it into the Apple store in Sydney in a few weeks when I pass through there.

There are many advantages to living in regional NSW, but there are also some disadvantages.
ozimax

Postby ozboyerp on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Good Evening,

I had my iMac 24 for a year and half and upgraded to 3RAm 2 weeks ago!

Twice this week the fan's been worked unusually for a long time!!!

my macbook 12 months old, (Cross finger all good...)

I'm a big fan too, but maybe, they are victim of their success!

Cheers
ozboyerp

Postby big pix on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Oz........ get into Apple store George St Sydney, but make an appointment at the genius bar, they will get the job done......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Photoaction on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:27 am

Ive been a Mac user since late 80s remember the classic what a champion of a machine....Ive never had any major probs with desk machines and have had many with laptops I make it a rule to get apple care protection for all and Id have to say its worth every cent Ive had techs come to my office to repair, successfully I might add and they sent couriers to pick up. I havent had one bad experience with there repair system has always been quick , productive and there personel very polite......TIP for aching back when driving....a 17in powerbook makes an excellent lumber support...not recommended if you dont have apple care protection....cheers
Photoaction Australia http://www.photoaction.com.au sports action interest e-zine
photoaction@mac.com
Photoaction

Postby binny on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:09 am

my missus mac book died out of warranty (by a couple of months) Apples resopnse was - too bad would you like a quote on a new motherboard ? (apparently a common problem) umm no thanks
binny

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:53 am

hmmm there's another big mac problem huh
i built my pc, this Wednesday just gone the PSU blew up, took PC to work and pulled it apart while i worked and found the prob, shot down to the computer shop, new psu, the guy helped me pack the other and send away for warranty then all fixed.

I'm guessing if u try and fix a mac it voids the warranty?
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EOS 400D
50mm 1.8 EF
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby ozboyerp on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm

Well Thanks Photoactions

I will get the extra care now on...

:cheers:
ozboyerp

Postby ozimax on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Photoaction wrote:Ive been a Mac user since late 80s remember the classic what a champion of a machine....Ive never had any major probs with desk machines and have had many with laptops I make it a rule to get apple care protection for all and Id have to say its worth every cent Ive had techs come to my office to repair, successfully I might add and they sent couriers to pick up. I havent had one bad experience with there repair system has always been quick , productive and there personel very polite......TIP for aching back when driving....a 17in powerbook makes an excellent lumber support...not recommended if you dont have apple care protection....cheers

Good idea, but not for $419! :)
ozimax

Postby Photoaction on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Geez Max
Yes that cost is a bit excessive. Just checked invoice on the last bundles I purchased last year, 2 desktops and a lap top for my building company apple care on the desk tops $249.00 ea laptop $149.00 three years warranty and online /phone support. Has the apple protection cost changed ...if that cost you quoted is the current cost its pathetic and I wouldnt pay for that option either ...cheers
Photoaction Australia http://www.photoaction.com.au sports action interest e-zine
photoaction@mac.com
Photoaction

Postby ozboyerp on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:31 pm

That much!!!

Come on, it's extra cash in an already riched company!!!!! :evil:
ozboyerp

Postby devilla101 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Hmmm, we use Apple iMac (G5's and Intel ones) at work. POS of a computer. Sure its pretty but when it comes to the crunch its a joke. Especially the newer ones. I came up with a theory that I reckon Apple has installed some sort of timer that after 12months the computer will slow down by half and systematically start shutting down so people can constantly upgrade to newer machines. I mean I've read so many stories from people saying their Apple computer stuffed up and its always been just out of the warranty period. Anyone else reckon its some sort of conspiracy?

Me, I'm still happily doing most of my home work on my custom built 3yo AMD X2 3800, 2gb RAM, Win XP Pro. The only problem I had was the PSU stuffing up. But unlike a Mac I easily bought another one and replaced it all by myself plus I had a multitude of PSU's too choose from. Also its still way faster than the iMac I use of similar age (Not to mention cheaper)

However I still have my iBook G4 1ghz and still havent missed a beat. Thats the only Apple product I own and love.
devilla101

Postby hangdog on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:24 am

devilla101 wrote:I came up with a theory that I reckon Apple has installed some sort of timer that after 12months the computer will slow down by half and systematically start shutting down so people can constantly upgrade to newer machines.

You might be on to something, because Microsoft seems to have copied this feature and put it on my XP Tablet PC. :wink:

--Chuan
"When the only tool you have is Thor's hammer, every problem looks like a supervillain." -- Julian Sanchez
hangdog

Postby photohiker on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:43 am

I think it's cheaper to buy the applecare when you purchase the computer or when it's still under warranty rather than try and add it on later.

One of my kids had an iBook at school with 3 years applecare. About a month before it expired, I had a look at it, and the keyboard was stuffed, the monitor was almost invisible, and the battery wouldn't last more than 5 minutes away from the power socket. Took it in to the apple dealer and said 'Fix it. Under Warranty', expecting to have a big argument about the costs. They rang a week later and gave back a virtually new machine for no cost.

Having managed Apples, name-brand PC's and home built PC's in modest volumes (100's of desktops), I can see both sides of the story. In general, I think that the Apple machines are built from better spec componentry than your average PC. On the other hand, if they do break, you usually are locked into Apple parts and they can be expensive. If the machine is a laptop, parts for all brands are expensive, period.

Michael
photohiker

Postby gstark on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:14 am

hangdog wrote:
devilla101 wrote:I came up with a theory that I reckon Apple has installed some sort of timer that after 12months the computer will slow down by half and systematically start shutting down so people can constantly upgrade to newer machines.

You might be on to something, because Microsoft seems to have copied this feature and put it on my XP Tablet PC. :wink:

Yes. it's called Windows.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Further to this post, I took reformatted my Macbook (zero out), installed the os and so far it's running ok. Warranty ends on Aug 19 so if it "dies" again I will take it into Apple and raise up a veritable storm etc etc.

Ozi
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:50 pm

gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:I then had an issue with an Eye-TV USB stick that was faulty, and caused, in turn, my system board to fry its USB ports.

Gary, did you get another Eye-TV tuner? If so, does it work OK, and which model is it?

Ozi.
ozimax

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:50 pm

ozimax wrote:Further to this post, I took reformatted my Macbook (zero out), installed the os and so far it's running ok. Warranty ends on Aug 19 so if it "dies" again I will take it into Apple and raise up a veritable storm etc etc.

Ozi

Max, this could be handy

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/kernelpanics.html
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:00 pm

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:I then had an issue with an Eye-TV USB stick that was faulty, and caused, in turn, my system board to fry its USB ports.

Gary, did you get another Eye-TV tuner? If so, does it work OK, and which model is it?

Oz,

Yes, they replaced it.

It's the Eye TV USB stick - the one that costs about PP150.

It's quite good. I've not really tried using it outside the house (the external antennae) but within the home it's pretty good. The software has an application that lets you convert recorded programs for uploading to the iPhone, which is a bonus, and it comes with a three month trial subscription to IceTV, which is not bad either.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oneputt on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:28 am

Having purchased a Mac not so long ago I can sympathise. Mine arrived with non functioning hardware (Airport) and I had to take it for Brisbane for repair. When it arrived back the case had been damaged, not significant so I just accepted it because I did not want to go through the hassle of taking it back again.

If Apple really want to challenge Microsoft then they need to lift their game. All this self promotion of late is wasted if they fail to deliver.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Dargan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:00 pm

I went through this process of MAc vs Visa just recently so I can relate to the Apple problems having seen quite a few in researching a new purchase. I was going to get an iMac optioned to $3500 plus software and then decided to build my own MS system. Now a happy owner of Quad Core Intel (with Linux as well), high end graphics card and many HD's, happily loading programs. If anything goes wrong I can replace or fix it and all for under $1700. I like Apple but the price and proprietary behaviour and a few doubts about the 24" screen made me go back to the dark side :) Sorry to hear your tale John.
:
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby ozboyerp on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:52 pm

well well well,

I am big Mac fan (apple)

I was on DSLRUser today And my iMac 24 ask to be shut down!!!

First time in 2 years

I re start and it look like the OS X do not start.

black, blue black blue screen!!!

I start it back few time today, but same old s...
ozboyerp

Postby jdear on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 am

im selling my 13" macbook to my mum (less than 2 months old) and buying the new toshiba U400 13" to replace it.
I didnt like the screen, or the interface. (not to mention how bloody hard it is to keep these things clean!)

thankfully I originally got it at a big discount so im not out of pocket swapping it over.

bye bye mac... the love affair that never started.
jdear

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:31 am

We now have two MSI Wind U100 boxes here. They've both been upgraded to 250GB ($80) and 2GB ($25), and both are capable of dual booting XP and OS X. Essentially, MacBook Air, with more storage for around PP800!

They're actually a very impressive box, surprisingly fast, and very portable. As much as I likes the eee, the Wind leaves it for dead.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Reviews