Adorama

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Adorama

Postby kipper on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:36 am

Out of interest what are Adorama like for ordering stuff from? Are they fairly prompt from order to delivery date?
kipper

Postby fozzie on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:34 am

kipper,

I have not dealt with Adorama myself. I have read posts about Adorama, and also other people have purchased from Tristate which tend to be slightly cheaper:

http://www.tristatecamera.com/

Congratulations on elevation to 'Senior Member'.

Have a great day,
:)
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby kipper on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:42 am

They don't have what I want :)
kipper

Postby huynhie on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:51 am

What exactly are you after Kipper?

I haven't bought from Adorama, only BHPhoto.
huynhie

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:53 am

kipper wrote:They don't have what I want :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I want :lol: I want :lol: and I want :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby kipper on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:58 am

Meh.
kipper

Re: Adorama

Postby xorl on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:20 am

kipper wrote:Out of interest what are Adorama like for ordering stuff from? Are they fairly prompt from order to delivery date?

Yep, I've found ordering stuff from them to be quite quick and professional.
Mark
xorl

Postby stubbsy on Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:50 am

As it happens sitting on my desk as I type is a box of stuff I ordered from Adorama last Wednesday. They shipped it on Thursday and as I say it's just artived so 1 week in total. I'm impressed.

The goods were well packed in a plastic bag inside a box filled with those styrofoam thingies. AND their prices were good - although it cost US$48 for freight I still ended up paying less than if I'd bought it here.

So I'm :D with them
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby SoCal Steve on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:24 am

I've ordered 3 times from Adorama from here in the US of A. Happy each time.

Adorama's parts prices aren't always the absolute lowest, but their basic ground freight was a fast 3 day express from New York to L.A. for only US$14.95 for my SB800 and a few other light pieces. Another NY company wanted $27+ for basic shipping that was slower for the same thing. So the net prices were within a dollar or two of the same between the two and Adorama was faster.

Sometimes ordering from Adorama thru Amazon.com has been cheaper. i.e. EN-EL3 batteries and Lexar CF cards by $5 or $6 dollars per item than buying from Adorama direct, although all of the good benefits remained exactly the same.
SoCal Steve

Postby Onyx on Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:51 pm

You will most likely encounter the need for them to confirm/double check your CC details a day or two after your online order. While this process is exists the same with B&H, and I suspect other reputable online retailers, it's something that some people find an inconvenience and if not attended to could delay shipping of your order indefinitely, thru no fault of the vendor but they foot the blame... Just be aware of the unfounded criticism of shipping delays due to this CC verification process published elsewhere.

They are a great bunch of people. When I was in NYC, I preferred to buy from them than B&H simply because they were less well known (there's always massive crowds at B&H because they're known to every photographer in the world and whoever visits NY must visit them!). But Adorama offer the same excellent levels of service, extremely polite and helpful staff, advice that's far more knowledgeable than even the best photographic retailers in Aust. Possibly the best thing is they keep a large inventory, so the hard to find item you're after is likely to bee in stock, and you'll get it at a good price too.
Onyx

Postby BBJ on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:02 pm

I too have wondered this as i have been looking at the kenko or tamron teleconertors and vanbar's prices seem to be rich.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby xorl on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:03 pm

As Onyx points out, Adorama want some CC verification. They will require a scanned copy of both sides of your CC card + part the header from a bank statement to prove card ownership. It is a little onerous, but I can understand their point of view considering how common CC fault is with online retailers.
Mark
xorl

Postby SoCal Steve on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:16 pm

I've never been asked for Credit Card proof, etc. by Adorama.
Must just be for orders outside USA.
SoCal Steve

Postby redline on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:21 pm

yeah i got asked for copies of my cc. i just used a ps and sent them the pics. i don't have a fax so that was my only option
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Nicole on Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:32 pm

I've ordered once through Adorama and had no problems. Also had to do the CC verification. I was happy with their service. But that was before i came across this forum. 8)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby MCWB on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:40 am

Well I just ordered a Spyder2 through Adorama and am absolutely stoked. Ordered last Wednesday, they gave the usual blurb about needing credit card verification, but said they'd check with my bank if I didn't provide it. I let them do the work :p, and my card was charged and the item shipped on Thursday with UPS (Express as it turns out). Monday (today) it turns up at my door... unbelievable! That's quicker service than you get from some places in Australia! :shock:
MCWB

Postby fozzie on Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:53 pm

MCWB,

That is tremendous service.

I had parcel post sent from Brisbane to Adelaide in the last twelve months and it took 8 calendar days, I just love 'Australia Post' :twisted: .

ta ta for now,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Return to Trader Opinions