Sandisk Extreme Firewire Reader

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sandisk Extreme Firewire Reader

Postby scott s on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:16 pm

in short, the best $89 I've spent. ( free plug to d-d photographics. no affiliation)

in detail, previous uploading of a 14Mb RAW file took about 15sec using a generic reader on USB2. It was a pain after taking a couple of hundred shots to get tyhem on the PC. I used to just set it then come back later that day

I was going to compare transfer times in more detail, but I couldnt. The 20 images I was usuing to test took about 5 minutes via USB. It was too quick with the new reader to actually read the transfer speed in Nikon transfer, but i guess ~20 seconds for all 20 images was all it took. I was stunned and thought I should post about it. I had read how fast these things were, but you always have that bit of doubt until you see it yourself.
FYI, I use Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb cards.
D300, 80-200 F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 18-70 kit, Sigma 14mm F3.5
scott s

Re: Sandisk Extreme Firewire Reader

Postby Greg B on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:25 pm

Scott, interesting post. In theory, USB2 and Firewire have a similar data speed (480 and 400 Mbps respectively)
but I understand that Firewire can be faster with external HDD for example.

However, for a card reader, the difference you describe is very large. I suspect that the USB port you were
using is actually operating as USB1.1 That would explain the difference.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby scott s on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:32 pm

hmmm. i presumed all my USB ports were 2.0, but maybe thats it, and I use an external HDD too.
Either way, at 1sec to download an image compared to 15-20sec, I'm grinning from ear to ear ! :cough:
Last edited by scott s on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D300, 80-200 F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 18-70 kit, Sigma 14mm F3.5
scott s

Postby StarForge on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Yeah it does sound like USB 1 speeds not 2.0.
StarForge

Postby dviv on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:38 pm

I use Sandisk Extreme IV CF cards and have tried both a "generic" USB2.0 card reader, and a Sandisk Imagemate USB2.0 Card reader.

Even when using them in the same port on the same PC, The Sandisk is at least 3 - 5 (sometimes even more) times faster than the generic.
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby big pix on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Sandisk Ducati cards download even quicker........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby whiz on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

While most people claim that USB2 and Firewire are similar speeds, in practice I have never found this to be the case. I've been using firewire for quite some time in video and then data applications.
The controlling chipsets and the media concerned have large effects on speed. I've always found firewire to be noticeably faster.
I also have the Lexar media reader and I can also report that they're a very nice bit of kit. I did have to wait until I could get a reasonably priced firewire 800 to 400 cable.
It rips running through my D200 via the USB2 port. The only trouble is the laptop can't supply power via the 4 pin firewire port. Until I care enough to make an adaptor, it will only get use on the desktop with the firewire card...

My recommendation for any situation is that if you have an option of firewire and USB2, go firewire.
People put way too much rubbish in signature blocks.

whiz

Return to Equipment Reviews