Budget Tripod

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Budget Tripod

Postby Occxlr8ed on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm in need of a BUDGET tripod just to get me by now. I'm using an old school kenlock thing that seriously does not hold my camera....

It's a 400D + grip + the heaviest lens i have would be the 70-200mm/2.8. If i push slightly on the camera, the legs start to retract.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11419

I saw this, and apparently they knock off manfrotto/gitzo/etc. anyone have any experiences with these? I know i get what i pay for, but for $70 im hoping i get something decent?

Cheers.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/occxlr8ed

Canon 400d + Grip - Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm/2.9, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 550ex, Sunpak 433D + Poverty Wizards
Occxlr8ed

Re: Budget Tripod

Postby gstark on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Occxlr8ed wrote:I saw this, and apparently they knock off manfrotto/gitzo/etc.

Well, that's nothing like a Gitzo. More like a Slik.

What currency is that price quoted in? Probably US$, but I couldn't see

I know i get what i pay for, but for $70 im hoping i get something decent?

Don't hold your breath.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Occxlr8ed on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm

It's quoted in USD, all shipping included.

Haha yeh, i aint holding my breath, but i mainly just need something to hold up my 400D + lenses reliably without the legs retracting on themselves under its weight!
http://www.redbubble.com/people/occxlr8ed

Canon 400d + Grip - Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm/2.9, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 550ex, Sunpak 433D + Poverty Wizards
Occxlr8ed

Postby Glen on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Occi, I have purchased a number of items from DX, worthwhile at the lower price points (under $20), maybe not quite meeting expectations at higher price points. Some things they stock are cheap like lens covers etc, some like tools are more expensive than Aus. I think you would probably do as well walking into a store here for that money. In all honesty I wouldn't do either, you already have a bad tripod, why own two? Hold out for a cheap Benro or Manfrotto, or s/h version of those, rather than have two tripods which don't work and the only difference is you are $70 poorer. PS I have a Velbon which looks similar to the one in the pic. I put torches on it :D I put my camera on a real tripod
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Glen on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21 pm

PS Do a search, someone mentioned a shop was selling the full Benro range from somewhere in Pitt St. I would guess just under $200 would see you in an alloy version of Benro.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:04 pm

someone mentioned a shop was selling the full Benro range from somewhere in Pitt St.

Photo Shop Studio. They are in Liverpool St just west of the end of Clarence St
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Glen on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks Greg :D
Thank You
Glen

Postby dviv on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:24 pm

7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Try other forums as well to look for 2nd hand tripods. Another way of getting a cheap and decent tripod. I'll be looking at replacing my current one but not for a month or two and it holds a 5D, 24-70 or 70-200 fine. Sorry that might not be of any help to you, but my advice is to check out other forums such as OCAU, passion for pixels and maybe potn as well.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Return to Equipment Reviews