1st Tripod purchase

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

1st Tripod purchase

Postby Flash in the pan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I wonder if any members own this Manfrotto combination, Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod with 804RC2 Pan/Tilt Head (Teds $270). I am thinking of getting this but wonder if this product is good in the field.
I would have been very happy with a Sherpa (Velbon $149) but the head doesn't pan without tilting! The only product I can find that will last AND pans is the Manfrotto, unfortunately I have to spend $120 more for this.
Is there a tripod that has all the Sherpa benefits but pans as well?

Cheers
Flash in the pan

Re: 1st Tripod purchase

Postby gstark on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:59 pm

A couple of questions ...

What sort of camera and lenses do you intend to use with this? Consider the weight of the body, and of the lenses in question. The head needs to be able to support them without getting a case of the droopsies, and the legs need to be able to support them, plus the weight of the head, without getting the wobblies. :)

Consider that you also don't need to buy that head just because that's how Teds are bundling this with those legs. You can but any head, and any set of legs, and they will all, if they're of any sort of quality (and Manfrotto is reasonable quality) all fit and play well together.

But there is a more important question that you need to consider: how many times do you want spend this money? Once? twice? four times?

Velbon make rather nice accessories, and sturdy tripods that you will be using, year in, year out, are not amongst their best work. I'm prtty sure that if you buy the Velbon, you will eventually be buying a tripod somewhere further down the track. That makes the answer to question 2 at least twice. And it also means that whatever you spent the first time will have been wasted.

So ... you need to understand your needs. Not for today, but for tomorrow. Address your needs correctly, and you'll only buy once, and you'll actually be saving money.

You may also want to review other similar threads on this forum. There's this one and quite a few others too.

Now, just one final point, please: if you look on the forum's front page, you will see that you need to have a meaningful location entered into your profile, and you will see that what you entered is actually not what we need. Please take a few moments to fix that up; it will be to your ultimate benefit. Thanx in advance for your future cooperation.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:30 pm

the 804RC2 head has a 4kg max weight rating, and the 190 legs have a 5kg max weight rating, so this tripod will serve you well for a long time, and be able to take the weight of most camera/lens setups. I am not familiar with the Velbon Sherpa, but I can tell u that the Manfrotto combination makes for a great, light-weight tripod that will handle almost any situation.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby AndyL on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:37 am

aim54x wrote:the 804RC2 head has a 4kg max weight rating, and the 190 legs have a 5kg max weight rating, so this tripod will serve you well for a long time, and be able to take the weight of most camera/lens setups. I am not familiar with the Velbon Sherpa, but I can tell u that the Manfrotto combination makes for a great, light-weight tripod that will handle almost any situation.

:shock: You are kidding right? :D

Forget those overly optimistic weight ratings.

The 190 could be a nice enough tripod for a P&S, but it is certainly not a "tripod that will handle almost any situation" with heavier gear.

Seriously, this is a buy twice proposition.

Cheers :)
AndyL

Postby robert on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 pm

AndyL wrote: :shock: You are kidding right? :D

Forget those overly optimistic weight ratings.

The 190 could be a nice enough tripod for a P&S, but it is certainly not a "tripod that will handle almost any situation" with heavier gear.

Seriously, this is a buy twice proposition.

Cheers :)

I understand that the numbers arent sky high, but I used the 190 legs and a small ball head (486) with a graflex 4x5 large format camera and didnt have too many problems with vibrations.... admittedly leaf shutters and no mirrors slapping around might help, but it handled an older Bronica 645 just as well.

I guess it comes down to an extent with technique- and I have never even extended the contre column.

Unfortunately while i have been happy with this set up I havent used anything better so cant compare to more high end/ well specc'd tripods.(other than an old SLIK tripod for a really heavy camera)

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby mansunzz on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:25 pm

this is weird, i thought i am the only one that thought of that combination. I am planning to get the combination. It comes to a total of approx $400. Still saving up for it.
mansunzz

Postby who on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:55 pm

I would think you can get it for less. Have a look around

Here you go - $279 + freight

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/product ... ts_id=3396

And that is the first place I checked - I would also suggest looking at Vanbar.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby aim54x on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 am

in the current camera house catalogue for 299, dunno where is trying for 400
Cameron
aim54x

Postby seeto.centric on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 am

the 190/488RC2 combo should be adequate for most people..
i find that i'm leaving my poor 055 at home or in the boot because its just too cumbersome to lug around.

190 legs are reasonably priced and reasonably built, strong enough to handle most basic kits + a little more IMO.

as Gary noted, the usual questions apply when shopping for a tripod. do the homework, buy something that can adequately handle your gear + factor in a little more and meet your budget.

to help others to help you, what sort of gear do you plan on using the tripod with?

-j
seeto.centric

Postby AndyL on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm

seeto.centric wrote:i find that i'm leaving my poor 055 at home or in the boot because its just too cumbersome to lug around.

Yeah, I have an aluminium 055 in the back of a cupboard somewhere. It turned out to be too heavy to cart around at something approaching 3kg bare.
AndyL

Postby Matt. K on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:03 pm

There's an old saying amongst photographers....the tripod you have in your packpack ia 100 time better than the one you've left at home.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Tue May 20, 2008 12:45 am

For those who are still looking, VanBar has the 190XPROB (newer model with easy switch to low angle) with the 804RC2 head for $269.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby adhoc on Wed May 21, 2008 2:19 am

I am also looking to get a tripod too. So is carbon fibre the way to go?
adhoc

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed May 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Carbon fibre is lighter for the same rigidity, but it is more brittle (not sure this is still an issue witr)and more expensive
Your call. Pay more for less weight or pay less for more weight
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby robert on Wed May 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Adhoc,
Like Greg says there is a definite weight saving on a CF tripod and some experts also say they dampen vibrations better. You are looking at double the price for saving less than 1kg. I just bought a CF tripod this month after 15 years with the same old aluminium one. In my case, I Just thought it might be nice to carry a lighter tripod. When its on my back I probably wont notice the difference. I may notice the difference if travelling OS and weight restrictions become an issue.
I checked your smugmug and you have some stunning images from Yunnan. It looks like you travel a bit so maybe CF will save some baggage weight.

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby who on Wed May 21, 2008 6:28 pm

If you want CF tripods - like a lot of gear look offshore.

I have my eye on a Gitzo CF tripod ATM, and it is almost 1/2 price in HK compared to Aus retail.

Big difference.....
Old D200+extras
who

Postby adhoc on Wed May 21, 2008 10:21 pm

robert wrote:Adhoc,
I checked your smugmug and you have some stunning images from Yunnan. It looks like you travel a bit so maybe CF will save some baggage weight.

Thank you for your nice comments! But I actually don't travel much since I am still studying. I want to get a tripod for some ideas/themes I have in my head.

who wrote:If you want CF tripods - like a lot of gear look offshore.

I have my eye on a Gitzo CF tripod ATM, and it is almost 1/2 price in HK compared to Aus retail.

Big difference.....

You are right about the price differences. I remember HK prices 1 year ago for a Manfrotto 190MF3 was only HKD$1800. With such a high Australian dollar, that just means you HAVE to buy offshore!
adhoc

Postby aim54x on Thu May 22, 2008 1:18 am

What do people think of Benro? We have been approached by a rep asking if we are interested in stocking them at the store.
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews