3.06GHz iMac......

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

3.06GHz iMac......

Postby big pix on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:13 pm

:mrgreen: ........ you have got to love a mac

http://www.apple.com/
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Re: 3.06GHz iMac......

Postby ozimax on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:31 pm

President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby dm_td5 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Ordered one this afternoon :D

If I remember I'll post a review. But its my first time with a Mac since about 1985... I think they may have changed a little :wink:

I decided to defect to Mac a few weeks back and just wait until the new/updated model came out. I've also ordered a Time Capsule as my D-Link wireless router is stuffed.
D.M. - D200
12°11'34"S 136°46'24"E or there abouts
dm_td5

Postby ozboyerp on Thu May 01, 2008 7:10 pm

Mac

Moved to IMac 24 and laptop and never looked back

Still use the pc at work.

It is so Goooooooooood and much better

Pierrick
ozboyerp

Postby servaasproducts on Fri May 02, 2008 3:11 pm

I moved to Mac in late 2006, a Macbook, and just last month upgraded to a Macbook Pro. Loving the "it just works" factor, the OS is a big contrast to the wifes new Vista PC.
Gear: Pentax k-x, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200, AF540FGZ Powerex AA batteries and recharged with Powerex AA battery chargers
follow s on twitter
servaasproducts

Postby sirhc55 on Fri May 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Went Mac in 1985 and never looked back :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Dargan on Fri May 02, 2008 3:45 pm

I am considering one of these at present.
At the moment I am looking to buy a new system for my home office setup. This is because my existing XP systems power supply blew 2 weeks after warranty expired and after being replaced the motherboard went. :( I have been looking at Dell and HP reasonably high specced through work funds but a Mac 3.0 is also an option for me. Many moons ago I had an Apple II system but work moved me into IBM and DOS.
Most of the replies here indicate they have a MAC already so rather than start a new thread can I ask those members specifically about
1. the colour quality and ease of calibration of the iMac 24 screen and
2. whether they can easily run two monitors off this system. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 193P I would run in tandem with it if I purchased it.
3. I have two Hard drives of 500Gb from the MS system, can I access these through the existing MAC system
Any other comment about the shift into MAC that might be relevant to us as photography users.
These might be useful to other members who caught this thread as well.
Thanks to any who reply
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby big pix on Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 pm

........ I am holding off to see where this goes.......

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/21/36961-y ... blind.html

also found mac,s here....... machines a bit cheaper

https://store.mactofront.com.au/product ... 45ee38b72a
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby Smurph on Fri May 02, 2008 5:35 pm

yum.

Started using Macs when I was about 18month back in '88. Then moved to windows because of dad's work, moved back to mac in about 05 or 06 (20" iMac and MacBook) and haven't looked back.

They just work, listening Mr Gates? :P
http://indigophoto.net

Nikon D2x :: Nikon D200
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 :: Sigma 15-30 f3.5-4.5 :: Sigma 30 f1.4
Lotsa CF Cards :: Lotsa Legs (tripods & monopods)
Smurph

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Whilst I would love to get a Mac based on what I have heard (as in, to quote someone above: "it just works"), my concern is the added cost of moving across from PC based software (such as CS3) to Mac based apps.

Can anyone shed light on what their views were?

Cheers
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby big pix on Fri May 02, 2008 6:06 pm

....... as stated, Mac's just work....... ring adobe re change of license for your software

I changed about 1993 and, you have got to love a mac. I have 3

......... gary also has a Mac...... :mrgreen:
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby dm_td5 on Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Whilst I would love to get a Mac based on what I have heard (as in, to quote someone above: "it just works"), my concern is the added cost of moving across from PC based software (such as CS3) to Mac based apps.

Can anyone shed light on what their views were?

Cheers

As I'm going through all this...

I had the same issue, ended up ringing Adobe. They will happily migrate you from one OS to the other and you can still install it on 2 PC's... provided they are the same OS. So this means you can't have an iMac desktop and a Vista laptop without 2 versions of Photoshop. You can have a XP Desktop and a Vista laptop (or 2 Mac OS's) with only a single version though. Fairly standard licensing of software but I was hoping otherwise :cry:

Nikon very nicely let you download CaptureNX for the OS you need and use the licence code you have. So you don't need to buy a second copy of CaptureNX. :D

My iMac's got as far as Hong Kong and so I should see it Tuesday. As I haven't seriously used a Mac since about 1985 this is going to be a little different to use. I'll post up a review when I'm up and running.
D.M. - D200
dm_td5

Postby dm_td5 on Thu May 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Well the iMac arrived yesterday. Having not used a Mac seriously since 1985 (when they'd just brought out the 6" B&W screen) I must say I am finding it relatively easy to use. It is very fast and for the most part does seem to "just work" the way you expect.

I was rather amused that it actually took me longer to unbox and plug it in than it did to get it up and running when I turned it on. It then finished the configuration and promptly reported there was in excess of 350MB of system updates of which 3 required a reboot - very windows like I thought :wink:

I do have one question though: Which version of CaptureNX is best to run on OS X 10.5 :?:
D.M. - D200
dm_td5

Postby Dargan on Fri May 09, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm in the process of buying one myself (3.06Ghz 24" iMac) at the moment. If I have any comments I'll post them here. :) Here's one question. Are you (or have you already?) going to run a check on the gamut of the 24" screen to ensure you have 16.7 million colours?
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 09, 2008 10:39 pm

It is probable that Alicia will get the 20" iMac with the 2.66ghz processor as the apple guy said the iMac screens were only "ok" compared to the Cinema screens. On the basis that we will eventually go for the dual screen mode, he recommended going for the 20" imac and then getting the 24" Cinema screen which is true 16.7million colours and 14 bit (I think) processing. The Eizo is for Alex.

Question without notice from Alicia: has anyone bought CS3 from an online outlet? She has seen it for about $840 and she is wondering is it safe to buy as it's a couple of hundred cheaper from RRP (Adobe?). She would appreciate thoughts and deliberations.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby big pix on Fri May 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Reschsmooth wrote: iMac screens were only "ok" compared to the Cinema screens. On the basis that we will eventually go for the dual screen mode, he recommended going for the 20" imac and then getting the 24" Cinema screen which is true 16.7million colours and 14 bit (I think) processing. The Eizo is for Alex.

Question without notice from Alicia: has anyone bought CS3 from an online outlet? She has seen it for about $840 and she is wondering is it safe to buy as it's a couple of hundred cheaper from RRP (Adobe?). She would appreciate thoughts and deliberations.

......... I think you will find that Apple only supply cinema screens in 20 inch, 23 inch, and 30 inch, link here http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/s ... co=MTE5NDE

and after a play using a iMac 24 inch with some of my own RAW files, I found it very very good, I know that you can run a second screen from the 3.06 24 inch iMac, but not sure about the other sizes or models in the mac range
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 09, 2008 11:25 pm

big pix wrote:......... I think you will find that Apple only supply cinema screens in 20 inch, 23 inch, and 30 inch, link here http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/s ... co=MTE5NDE

I think you will find you are correct, and I meant the 23". :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Equipment Reviews