Tamron 28 - 300 Opinions

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tamron 28 - 300 Opinions

Postby SteveGriffin on Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 pm

I have a Nikon 18 -200 VR and get 'reasonable' results from it. I would like a lens with a bit 'longer reach' a guy at the local camera club has recommended the Tamron 28-300 Image Stabalised Lens. Does anyone here have any comments?
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Re: Tamron 28 - 300 Opinions

Postby Glen on Mon May 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Love to hear yours when you get it :shock: I truly would be surprised if it exceeded your results with the 18-200, an almost 11 times zoom ratio is a lot to ask of any lens. How about a s/h Nikon AF300 f4? Or if funds allow the AFS version allows a TC later. The AF version can be had very cheaply second hand and is an excellent lens for low money in that range.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby zafra52 on Tue May 06, 2008 6:18 pm

zafra52

Postby Pa on Tue May 06, 2008 6:53 pm

hello steve, i have the 300mm f4 glen spoke of i used it today with a tamron 1.7 teleconverter. i'll post a couple of photos for you to look at.
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby Marvin on Wed May 07, 2008 2:14 pm

I have the non is/os version of this lens. I thought it was pretty good when I first got my D70 but once I got to learn a bit more I have become less and less satisfied with it. The pictures are OK but a bit soft and with a bit of CA. It is also very noisy and hunts a lot for AF. It is now on the camera that I lend to my friends (who aren't fussy) and my 9 year old uses.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby SteveGriffin on Wed May 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Hmmm,
I am starting to build a picture here which is a little more in keeping with my expectations. The guy at the club claims that it is as sharp as the blessed 90 which I found somewhat hard to believe. I think that my hopes of a single walkaround lens have been dashed yet again.
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby Glen on Wed May 07, 2008 7:12 pm

Can you score me some of what this guy is taking? If he thinks an 11 x zoom will be within a bulls roar of a highly regarded macro prime......
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Pa on Wed May 07, 2008 7:23 pm

i think maybe the bigma 50-500 with x10 zoom would have to a better option but three times as pricey
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby SteveGriffin on Wed May 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Glen wrote:Can you score me some of what this guy is taking? If he thinks an 11 x zoom will be within a bulls roar of a highly regarded macro prime......

He does actually shoot some very good images BUT I was / am very sceptical about this particular recommendation.

I am off to Greenland in a few weeks and am after something a bit 'longer' than 200 - for the bear shots. Weight is VERY critical for this trip - 15kg of personal gear for a 2 week expedition otherwise I would be taking the 70-200 VR and a TC.

Maybe I will have to forget the bear pix :x
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby Glen on Wed May 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Steve, understand your problem, I really think at this point in time that is very hard to acheive
Thank You
Glen

Return to Equipment Reviews