Pocket Wizard alternative

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Pocket Wizard alternative

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:11 pm

For some time, I have been interested in buying a wireless flash trigger. This came to a head when I was taking some photos recently at a function where I had set up the Nikon Advanced Wireless Lighting system to fire remote flashes. I had some failures because the infra-red signal requires direct line-of-sight.

Initially, I was considering Pocket Wizards, which are almost universally recommended as the benchmark radio trigger. But, I have to confess, the price put me off. For my requirements and occasional use, I just couldn't justify the price. The PW transceiver would cost about $240 delivered to me, and I wanted three units (camera plus two SB-800s), say $720.

I found an alternative: the Elinchrom Skyport. A transmitter and two receivers cost me $375 delivered, or around half the price of the PWs. Here is a picture of the transmitter (LHS bottom), receiver (LHS top) and the included carrying case that will hold them and another 2 receivers:

The transmitter is operated by a CR2430 battery, and the receivers have rechargable Li-On batteries. The transmitter is 50mmX40mmX20mm inc hot-shoe mount and weighs 30g. The reciever is 65mmX45mmX15mm and weighs 50g.

Cons: You need an electrical adapter. The receivers come with a number of interchangable electrical plugs, but not an Australian one. :cry:
You need a flash sync cord to go from the receiver (3.5 mm jack) to the flash (PC sync). Relatively easily obtainable.

These units seem to be a lot smaller and lighter than the PWs, and as a result may not be quite as robust. Some people have made comment about the possibility of the antenna being too easily snapped off or damaged, bu no-one has actually had that happen AFAIK. I'm sure the PWs are superb, but sticker shock led me to look for a cheaper alternative. I bought mine from B&H Photo in New York, and they arrived inside of a week.

My early tests indicate no problems with signal quality or sync failures, but they have all been "dry runs". I'll post further when I've done some actual shooting.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: Pocket Wizard alternative

Postby adam on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:41 pm

:agree:
I've had my skyports since April 07 and despite being dropped, moving around in the camera bag (as they didn't come with cases back then) and water spillage, they are working perfectly.
The antennas still stay on, they still fire.

Just the couple of things that you mentioned which I also experienced, about needing to get the right sync cord (3.5mm jack to pc sync), and no inclusion of a Australian power adaptor (even though I bought it locally!).
One other problem I have is that the receiver gets sometimes accidentally turned on as it's a push-button type (which I think they solved later by including a case).
Also, the inability to lock the transmitter into the hotshoe - I have knocked it out sometimes before, but it's nothing a bit of gaffer can't fix.

They work reliably and cost less than the pocketwizards :up:
adam

Postby jamesw on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 pm

My first reaction was... wow.

I'd be interested to see a side by side comparison against PW's.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby Yi-P on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 pm

Cons: You need an electrical adapter. The receivers come with a number of interchangable electrical plugs, but not an Australian one.

What do you mean by this?? The device is powered by a battery right? Is the adapter for recharging the lithium battery in the receiver?
Yi-P

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 am

Yi-P wrote:
Cons: You need an electrical adapter. The receivers come with a number of interchangable electrical plugs, but not an Australian one.

What do you mean by this?? The device is powered by a battery right? Is the adapter for recharging the lithium battery in the receiver?

The receivers have an inbuilt Li-On battery. A separate charger is included, and the charger has a number of detachable modules with different electrical fittings, eg US, EU etc. But there is no AUS fitting, so you need to connect the charger to a reverse adapter (ie US to AUS) to be able to plug it in to your wall socket.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my original post. The charger is a separate item that comes with the receiver.
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Benny2707 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 am

Where can I get me some?

What other options are there?
D300 - MB-D10 - Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - SB600

My stuff here http://www.flickr.com/photos/22767657@N07/
Benny2707

Postby jamesw on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:02 am

cricketfan wrote:
Yi-P wrote:

The receivers have an inbuilt Li-On battery. A separate charger is included, and the charger has a number of detachable modules with different electrical fittings, eg US, EU etc. But there is no AUS fitting, so you need to connect the charger to a reverse adapter (ie US to AUS) to be able to plug it in to your wall socket.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my original post. The charger is a separate item that comes with the receiver.

Oh that sucks, almost a dealbreaker!

I am bad enough at charging my Nikon batteries... I love the fact all i need is a few packs of AA's and it will fix any power issues. I even keep two packs of lithium batts in my bag incase I run out of power for my body, love that battery grip AA option!
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:23 am

I am considering (eventually as in they are on my gear lust list) getting the PW and Sekonic L758DR due to the compatibility between the two. The L758 will remotely fire the PW and therefore allow you to fire the camera and flash(es) to test or even just to fire remotely.

L&P have a special on PW - buy one tranceiver and get 50% off the second. Buy the L758DR and get 50% off a PW. So, for a decent spend, you could get the L758DR plus 3 PW for the price of L758 & 2 PWs (however, I am not sure if L&P are, in fact, the cheapest supplier in the market.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:54 am

It's hard to compare these with the PWs as the PWs are in a league of their own. The Elinchrom and Bowens Pulsars sit around the middle of the range if you look at PWs as industry top and the Gadget Infinities at the bottom.

Personally, I'm saving up for a kit of PW IIs as they provide me with more flexibility due to the higher hit rate at longer distances. Another pro for the PW is that it's powered by 2 AAs rather than a Li-on battery and CR2430 for the transmitter.

Once again though, it depends on your shooting style and your budget. If you want to dapple with wireless off-camera lighting, then go for either the Elinchrom or Bowens for a smaller budget than the PW IIs.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:47 pm

PiroStitch wrote:It's hard to compare these with the PWs as the PWs are in a league of their own. The Elinchrom and Bowens Pulsars sit around the middle of the range if you look at PWs as industry top and the Gadget Infinities at the bottom.

Exactly. Unless you are going to these these things continually and continuously, or have a need for an extraordinary range, then the Skyport is probably going to be adequate. It fits my shooting to a T.

jamesw wrote:Oh that sucks, almost a dealbreaker!

I am bad enough at charging my Nikon batteries... I love the fact all i need is a few packs of AA's and it will fix any power issues. I even keep two packs of lithium batts in my bag incase I run out of power for my body, love that battery grip AA option!

That's a shame - consider the environment! :) BTW, the Li-On battery is stated as lasting up to 30 hours. Would probably be sufficient for most situations.
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Benny2707 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:56 pm

PiroStitch wrote:It's hard to compare these with the PWs as the PWs are in a league of their own. The Elinchrom and Bowens Pulsars sit around the middle of the range if you look at PWs as industry top and the Gadget Infinities at the bottom.

Personally, I'm saving up for a kit of PW IIs as they provide me with more flexibility due to the higher hit rate at longer distances. Another pro for the PW is that it's powered by 2 AAs rather than a Li-on battery and CR2430 for the transmitter.

Once again though, it depends on your shooting style and your budget. If you want to dapple with wireless off-camera lighting, then go for either the Elinchrom or Bowens for a smaller budget than the PW IIs.

Can we get an idea of price for each of the sets? Say prices for the following:

- PWII's with a transmitter and two receivers

- Bowens with a transmitter and two receivers

- Gadget infinitie's with a transmitter and two receivers

Just so we can get an idea?
D300 - MB-D10 - Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - SB600

Benny2707

Postby mickeyjuice on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Benny2707 wrote:- PWII's with a transmitter and two receivers

Just FWI, the PW Plus2 units are transceivers, so they can be used at either end of the chain. Very useful if you have a few and one dies.
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 pm

PW IIs - apparently can be had for $670 landed for 3 transceivers (HK delivery as per other post)
Bowens - I was quoted $600 retail for 3 units (Oz_Beachside has these and I used them. Works well in a studio however there was a bizarre sync issue with the Canons - hold your tongues people - where I was only limited to 1/160s. Anything faster and you could see the shutter)
Elinchrom - $350 for 1 transmitter and two transceivers (from Kayell Australia)
GI - $70? for transmitter and two receivers landed

Quantum also have them but i haven't asked for a quote yet.

I haven't been able to find the RRP for the pocket wizards and I'm too scared to. The Bowens and Elinchrom units are around RRP in Melbourne.

There's a massive price difference between the units mentioned but once again, you're comparing chalk and cheese and other smelly stuff. As the adage goes, you get what you pay for - truly! when it comes to these units.
PiroStitch

Postby mickeyjuice on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm

PiroStitch wrote:PW IIs - apparently can be had for $670 landed for 3 transceivers (HK delivery as per other post)

Posted (by me) in a different thread on this forum:

I just bought a set of 4 from the US (EU freq) for US$660 (shipping $45). Add in a PW-capable Sekonic L-358 light meter from the same vendor for US$250, and I'm running out of excuses if I don't produce decent stuff... (Got both from the same vendor for US960 shipped.)
cheers, juice
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby Antsl on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi all, .... I have been using a Quantam Radio Slave II for well over a decade now... I think I bought them in the early eighties and they have been one of the most useful pieces of equipment I own (other than my Nikons).As much as this unit has been good to me, I am looking at getting another radio slave soon. I have been looking at the MicroSync http://www.microsyncdigital.com/ ... has anyone got one of these units. The small size of the transmitter and receiver look very appealing, particularly as I nearly always carry the radio slave with me onto locations.... less is more :D
Cheers, Ants
Antsl

Postby petal666 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:04 am

jamesw wrote:Oh that sucks, almost a dealbreaker!

Why?
The adaptor costs $5.

I didn't get a case with mine when I bought them in Nov last year.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby Grev on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:04 am

I just did a bit of research at work and found the range for these RF units,
- Microsync 33 metres
- Bowens Pulsar 100 metres
- Pocket Wizard 450 metres

A clear winner indeed.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby petal666 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 am

Grev wrote:I just did a bit of research at work and found the range for these RF units,
- Microsync 33 metres

A clear winner indeed.
Yeah, the number of times I've had my flashes 300m down the road and my skyports didn't fire them, I can count of zero fingers. Actually the number of times I've had my flashes 100m down the road I can count on zero fingers too :)
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby mickeyjuice on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 am

Grev wrote:I just did a bit of research at work and found the range for these RF units,
- Microsync 33 metres

A clear winner indeed.

Yeah, but only if you need the extra range. I've got the PWs, but can't see myself ever needing to fire them from half a k away. (I bought them for reliability, and triggering from the lightmeter - they've been perfect so far.)
Last edited by mickeyjuice on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, juice
mickeyjuice

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 pm

- Microsync 33 metres

A clear winner indeed.

According to the manual, the Skyports are good to 120 metres outside and 50 metres inside. My shooting would be well within those limits.
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Benny2707 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 pm

I think it's important to keep it all in perspective. The distance the pocket wizards work is very impressive but so not anything I would ever need. Maybe a few metres. Maybe 10-20 at the max.

Benny2707

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:11 pm

But with PWs, I'll be able to take portraits with the 1200mm f5.6 ;)
PiroStitch

Postby Benny2707 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:18 pm

PiroStitch wrote:But with PWs, I'll be able to take portraits with the 1200mm f5.6 ;)
 ROFLMAO :lol:

Benny2707

Postby mickeyjuice on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:18 pm

PiroStitch wrote:But with PWs, I'll be able to take portraits with the 1200mm f5.6 ;)

And the US$100K (used) for the lens makes the PWs seem cheap! Win-win!
cheers, juice
mickeyjuice

Postby Grev on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 am

Well the distance it can go correlates to the signal strength and quality.

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby surenj on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:09 am

suppose with a coupla of PWs you could cross light the moon and take the photo with a 2000mm telescope... :shock: BTW I am the unhappy owner of a first generation EBAY triggers which mis-trigger my CANON 430EX.

Suren
surenj

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:44 am

Another trigger has entered the market. AlienBees Cybersync.

More info here.
PiroStitch

Postby makario on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 pm

I picked up a set of cactus v2 transmitters and receivers, work ok. but since I am testing the waters, I can live with the mis-fires for awhile (not that it misfires too often)
Canonian
"The Reward is in the doing of it..!!" - Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/makro
makario

Postby bwhinnen on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Old thread, but I just picked up a set of the GI V2s (transmitter and 3 x receivers) for 90 AUD delivered. A quick mod later and the range has increased, not that I need 450m out of them, but I'll put them through their paces when I get the chance. Currently I have flawless triggering from one end of the house to the other (that is about 15 - 20m and through several walls). Outside for a distance of 30 - 40m I can fire off 5fps with the flash on 1/16th, not that I want to.

A couple of pics of the mod:

Yes I am a cheapskate, and had all the parts sitting around the house to make the aerial, the length of the solid core CAT5E is cut to make the track and cable the exact length for a 1/2 wave of 433MHz (which is the transmitter frequency). Fed through the stripped out D-Link wireless antenna and the coiled around the cotton bud and covered up. A simple yet effective helical monopole aerial, it has worked wonders to the reliability of the GI Cactus transmitter.

Brett PS yes I have a dirty sensor :(
bwhinnen

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:08 pm

Nice work on the mod Brett. Sounds like a very useful tool this pov wizard
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby bwhinnen on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:35 pm

I also went and modified the Receiver of my pW's to be a little easier on the wallet, the original batteries were stupidly expensive 3V jobbies, so changed them to 2xAAA, which I will get rechargeable ones eventually.

Cost was $7 in parts from Jaycar and a bit of drilling, soldering and fidling :)

You can see the 2.5mm mono headphone jack goes into a socket that is soldered to the + and - terminals internally :)

bwhinnen

Postby junda on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am

you can get some cheaper chinese made triggers over ebay. i'm using one but only one channel.
junda

Postby Grev on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:25 am

I've seen the mods done on the gadget infinity ones but I've never really needed it, but I guess I will soon though, I might just start doing it.

Grev

Return to Equipment Reviews