Would you buy from Digital Rev

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Would you buy from Digital Rev

Postby philcoop on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:02 pm

hey was looking at some cheap items on Digital Rev site, just wanting some feedback to whether anyone would buy from them, do they have good reviews, i have seen some bad ones on this site with them, just wanting to see if there is any more out there or any good reviews with them would be appreciated, or if you have found a good cheap camera store or online store here in AUS please let me no thankyou
philcoop

Postby big pix on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Great service from these guys....... http://www.cameras.net.au/

fast as well......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Pa on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:25 pm

these people at this link are not bad either.

cheers pa

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby Raskill on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:53 pm

I've used Digital Rev, bought my speedlight from them. No problems what so ever. I think it was my first sizeable Ebay purchase, but I was really happy with them.

I bought $4000 worth of gear from D-D Photographics. They were really good. Paid on a thursday afternoon, had the gear in my hands by Friday morning.

Both are great suppliers.

:D
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Oneputt on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:42 pm

I bought mt 80-400 through Dig Rev a long time ago. Absolutely no problems.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby devilla101 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:51 pm

They suck. Took nearly a month to send 2 filters
devilla101

Postby joey on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:09 pm

I’ve written a couple of negative reviews for this trader on this forum. I bought a P&S camera from them. It was delivered on time with no problems. However, I could not get the camera returned for repair when it was still under warranty despite trader’s promises to provide a local contact for Australian customers.
They were not replying to my emails on time, suggested me to take the camera to the local manufacturer’s reps and ask them to write a technical review on the problem.
At the end, I paid for the repair out of my pocket. It easier and quicker.
Liars!
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

Postby macka on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 pm

Pat bought me a WA from Digital Rev when having trouble finding it (Tokina 12-24) elsewhere. Didn't have any problems.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:27 pm

No problems for me either - SB800 + Sigma 105mm macro
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby SteveGriffin on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:29 pm

I had a couple of OK purchases from Digital Rev and then a shocker. I can't bag them enough now.

Took 6 weeks to deliver a lense which was DOA and then didn't want to take it back to repair or replace. It ended up with an EBay dispute in my favour and I got a refund some 4 1/2 months after I paid for the lense.
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby broadbean on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:13 pm

We took delivery of a Nikon D40x with 18-55mm II kit lens from them a couple of weeks ago directly. We also purchased some accessories via their eBay store. Funny how sometimes their prices and conditions for the same items are cheaper on one than the other.

Haven't yet required to have anything sent back for warranty (touch wood), so it's pretty good so far - good price, reasonably quick responses and fairly quick deliveries.
broadbean

Postby Biggzie on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Ive tried to buy from them, but have found there reponse so far very disapointing.
I figure that if there customer service is *&$% before they have my money, what are they going to be like when they do.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby photograham on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 pm

I've purchased from them several times, the latest yesterday, and could't speak highly enough of them. but then, I've have nothing go wrong any of my purchases.
photograham

Postby methd on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:38 am

bought ah4 hand grip (ebay) and took over 1 month to arrive in the mail... i suspect they didnt have stock on hand when i won the auction.
methd

Postby drsnoopy2 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:27 am

I bought a Canon 50mm f/1.8 off them at a great price, at a time when it was difficult to get stock locally, and the transaction was completely smooth & professional in nature, the communication to keep me informed of my purchase was prompt and clear, and the product came nicely packaged, with a free lens-cleaner pen & lanyard. Needless to say I was a happy customer. Mind you I didn't encounter any problems with the lens, if I did, then maybe my experience would be a different one. But I think that is the calculated risk that you need to consider taking if you shop on-line from an overseas vendor.
drsnoopy2

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:37 am

if using ebay for gear i only use HK Supplies who are 1st class. for filters i use hvstar.net and depending on how quick i want something and the price differences d-d-photographics in sydney are excellent and you can return goods immediately by going to their "shop".

normally speaking the people who have bad experiences with online sellers is cos something goes wrong and the time it takes to replace is so long. i bought some eneloop batteries and charger from ozbatteries in albury and the charger was DOA, took me over 2 months to get a replacement. i was horrified it took so long but thats the risk you run by buying cheaper non-retail gear.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Glen on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:08 am

Philcoop, you can see there are some mixed results here. Are you aware that once you get full membership (in the FAQ but 50 posts, post a picture, etc) you can buy through Poon, a longstanding HK trader who is a member here (even been to our Christmas parties) at members prices?
Glen

Store voucher with newsletter from DigitalRev

Postby broadbean on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:28 am

For those who are interested in purchasing from DigitalRev, I came across a AUD$40 store voucher offer if you subscribed to their newsletter - free:
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/article.php?article_id=226

I don't know exactly what the conditions are, eg minimum order amount, expiry/valid dates etc, but could be worth checking out if you were planning on purchasing from them anyway.

They are not always the cheapest, but they're not too bad.

As for HK Supplies, I've only seen their eBay prices for now, and their prices on the Nikon 18-200mm VR is pretty good - especially if you purchased off their USD offers.
broadbean

Postby Eugene-K on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks for the 40$ voucher info!!! But it seems like this offer is only for their online store, not for ebay store.
I am going to buy D80 body and 50mm 1.4 within the next couple of weeks but unfortunately I can't find any of these in HK-Supplies ebay store. Is there currently a shortage of Nikon cameras and lenses?
At the same time I can see both products in DigitalRev at very attractive prices however some negative feedback in this topic stops me.
Eugene-K

Postby broadbean on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:45 pm

What negative comments are stopping you? I bought the extended Mack warranty, so I could in theory have worldwide warranty.
broadbean

Postby Eugene-K on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Sounds interesting to me. Where I can buy one? Is this service reliable? I mean did anybody have positive experience repairing cameras under this warranty? Is it local service or I will need to send my camera to USA or Hong-Kong?
Eugene-K

Postby Chad on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:59 pm

You may want to check digidirect.com.au . I just bought a 40D, memory, and warranty from them at just a touch over HK price, and without the potential grey probs. You can negotiate..............i.e. free next day delivery & a HUGE saving on a Sandisk CF. They're worth a call at least, I reckon.
Chad

Postby broadbean on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Eugene-K wrote: I mean did anybody have positive experience repairing cameras under this warranty? Is it local service or I will need to send my camera to USA or Hong-Kong?

I've looked it up on Google, and there seemed to be some positive feedback. I checked with Mack and there are local service centres I could use. The main issue is to get the repair authorised.
broadbean

Thumbs down for me.. Digital Rev

Postby team piggy on Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:28 pm

Sadly I will be having to be giving them a bad rating too..:evil:

After checking with them via email on Current stock holding (and ready for immediate shipment) on a pretty high dollar item ($5k +), and being told firmly that it was in stock & ready to ship today.
I paid via Payypal to clear funds their end straight away.

After 8 days of pretty average email replies, I was finally told the item was not available and will not be in stock (possibly) until 7th Jan 08. Add another few days to Australia after that.

I have cancelled as I personally dont trust them to now be accurate on that date either. A refund should be interesting to see how long that takes, Hopefully they have better service in that department..

I also had a friend email them today on the very same item to check availability, guess what, ready to ship as well ! Poor form..... hence my feedback! :x
team piggy

Postby Viz on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks Rooz for the hvstar.net tip - love it!
Dan The Batch Automator
Viz

Postby Travy on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I have bought 2 items from digital rev through ebay (buy it now items) in the past few weeks on separate occasions.

Tamron 90mm macro lens and 580exII flash.

Never had a problem with them, paid through paypal, items were shipped in 24-48 hours.

I also got a $40 discount voucher after the first purchase, but as stated above was only for the online store, not ebay.

I guess you always get some bad experiences as well though.
Thanksfully mine were very good.
Travy

Postby team piggy on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:16 pm

My follow up.
Seemed the 300 2.8 was unobtanium.. No one could supply except the yanks (supposedly).

Digital rev said they had them and got the money basically (see post above), except they werent quite correct in the having stock stakes..

A few weeks later they did manage to source one, and it was in my hands 3 days later (HK > ADL). I couldnt tell during the freight as they supplied an incorrect tracking number.

Overall, excellent freight time once they had the lens. Give that a 9.
Original order and not so truthful answers = 0.
Theie communications were reasonable along the way.

I just hope I dont have any warranty issues from what I have read here !

In the end a satisfactory result, but what a pain in the ar$e along the way...

And thanks to Poon who couldnt supply originally, but found one in the end for me after DR had sent theirs.
team piggy

Postby methd on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:49 am

i think digrev is a bit dodge. a number of times i've purchased off them only to receive the items about 4-6 weeks later. i think they 'sell' items that arent in stock, and when sold on ebay, they order it thru their supplier once you have paid...
http://www.lumensphotography.com
Nikon gear. D3x, D3s, D3 ... and lots of lenses.
methd

Postby anubis on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:42 am

I used them a couple of years ago for a compact super zoom (Nikon 8700) and more recently for a Nikon S1 and some UV filters have had absolutely no problems.

So i guess it depends. Email them to ensure they have stock before you order.
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby team piggy on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:58 am

methd wrote:i think digrev is a bit dodge. a number of times i've purchased off them only to receive the items about 4-6 weeks later. i think they 'sell' items that arent in stock, and when sold on ebay, they order it thru their supplier once you have paid...

I can guarantee your on the money, and thats in their words via their email.
This is normally not an issue, IF the supplier has stock.

anubis wrote:Email them to ensure they have stock before you order.

Read my post above this was done, and confirmed (twice in fact) :x
I ended up with 2 suppliers Poon & DR holding close to 10.5 k of my money. Poon had excellent comms the whole way and refunded quickly.
I had only cancelled with poon (thru here) because DR "Had it in stock for immediate dispatch".
It ended up Poon & DR got the item both on the same day :roll: (about 3-4 weeks later).
DR were slowest to get a refund out of so they got the sale as Poon had already refunded.

ON DR's favour they did offer a $100 AUD discount. (Still it was about 300 AUD dearer than the Poon's price thru these forums.)

I checked around Heavily and B&H and King Camera (USA) had it in stock and were both cheaper than DR but dearer than Poon.

As a note, using these forums, GStarks's email communication and Poon's were exceptional considering in the end I didnt spend any money with them.
They both deserve another big pat on the back, excellent work, Thanks again.
team piggy

Re: Would you buy from Digital Rev

Postby rahnin on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:41 pm

I've bought from DigiRev with no problems. It was just small purchases though and I've had no problems with the products...yet.
rahnin

Postby mickeyjuice on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:51 pm

I bought a Hoya CP off them, and they took the money, no problems, and when nothing had arrived after 2 weeks, I emailed them, and they then said they had no stock, so my money would be credited back. Nice way to steal money for a couple of weeks, given they had made NO attempt to contact me to make the refund...
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby fenger on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:03 pm

I buy a lot of things online and on ebay. What makes a good seller is not how many good purchase experience you have with him. It is how he handles things when there is a problem. Just from this thread alone I will not trust this vendor with an amount of money I do not like to lose. Weigh your risk against the saving.
fenger

Postby DePhantomX on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Bought a 400D body + hoya filter from them for the wife - no problems
DePhantomX

Postby GMD on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:35 pm

No pbroblems what so ever, SB-800, Pro Grip, D200 body, Hoya filters, Batteries as well as lenses. Never had a hold up, usally here in about a week give or take. One of the places i look when looking for gear
A good photograph is knowing where to stand - Ansel Adams

Nikon D200, D70, SB-800, 50mm 1.4, 70mm-210mm 2.8, 17mm-55mm, Home studio with softboxes and umbrella reflectors
GMD

Postby tangy1 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:16 pm

I'M currently in the process of ordering from digital rev after good things were said to me about them from a friend who orders all the time.
I ordered 3 seperate things a body 450d and 2 other lenses.
At this time it appears they have only sent the body. I have emailed about the lenes waiting for a reply.
I ordered the gear on Monday this week and will porb get the body tomorrow (friday) or monday.
tangy1

Postby tangy1 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:21 pm

Well I spoke to quickly. I just received an email stating that they have combined all purchases in one package.
So should receive all of it tomorrow or monday.
cheers kelvin
tangy1

Postby Bugeyes on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:08 pm

I've bought quite a lot of gear through them and only once had a problem, they were temporarily out of stock of Mack warranties, and since Mack requires you to purchase your warranty within 30 days of your hardware, I was in a bit of a panic. I email Digital Rev and explained the situation; they got back to me within 48 hours and said they would try there best to get me one ASAP. In the end I did receive my warranty, just in the nick of time :o also I've never paid any GST on items over $1K and have always received a downloadable receipt.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I have my doubts about the former.

....Albert Einstein
Bugeyes

Postby Benny2707 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:30 pm

rahnin wrote:I've bought from DigiRev with no problems. It was just small purchases though and I've had no problems with the products...yet.

I have just had the same experience. Told me it would take 15 days to get here and it took a week.

I'm happy.
D300 - MB-D10 - Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - SB600

My stuff here http://www.flickr.com/photos/22767657@N07/
Benny2707

Postby Dave-D40 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 pm

I have brought heaps from digital rev and would highly recommend them, they used ups for delivery and they had tracking,Stuff arrived in 5 working days.

Great service for me.
Nikon D7100/D7200, Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 55-300, Nikkor 30, Nikkor 105 macro, Nikkor 10 - 24, Tokina 11 - 16, Tamron 150-600mm, SB600, Misc other
Dave-D40

Postby Leginmat on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:48 pm

I was just about to place an order for a 40D and now I read this... :shock:
Leginmat

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Leginmat wrote:I was just about to place an order for a 40D and now I read this... :shock:

And please also now read the forum rules at the top of this page. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Leginmat on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Not trying to be smart here but is that referring to my location being to vague?

I'm going through the FAQ right now.

Sorry if I made a boo boo :(
Leginmat

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Leginmat wrote:Not trying to be smart here but is that referring to my location being to vague?

Yes, precisely. :)

Please check the portal page as well.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby iUDEX on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:45 am

I've bought from both their Ebay store as well as their direct online store. So far purchased two cameras, a lens, and a bunch of miscellaneous accessories from them.

Service is fantastic, questions are answered within 24 hours, items are well packed, and delivery time is as promised.

Nothing to be afraid of with these guys.
iUDEX

Postby lukipelaa on Mon May 18, 2009 3:56 am

bought 2 lenses from them - tamron 17-50 and tokina 11-16. both came quickly. but is it me or do u guys notice their BIN are always cheaper than their online store prices?
lukipelaa

Return to Trader Opinions