Resize for printing

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Resize for printing

Postby robert on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:17 am

just wondering if i need to resize my shots before printing.

At the moment i just resize them in the print frame as it looks on paper?? does this make sense- I just grab a corner and frame it on the page as i like it, most often with about an inch around it (on A4).

When i look at the images in Elements 4 it says the size is about 137cm x 91 (72ppi). I just hit print and as mentioned above resize it on the layout screen,

Would this approach affect print quality???

Thanks
Robert
robert

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:19 am

I always aim to keep the canvas the actual print size and the DPI to around 200 - 250... I use the 10% growth or reduction method under Photoshop that has been described by others on this forum. Have had great results so far.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby robert on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks Brett,
I dont even know what DPI I print at. I'm using an Epson R1800 and it just has a picture quality menu in words- eg best phot etc, not numbers!!

Tried to change the canvas size to 210x297 (A4) and now it says the image is 166cm x 112 at 72ppi.

How do I change the PPI?
robert

Postby Colcam on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:17 pm

robert wrote:Tried to change the canvas size to 210x297 (A4) and now it says the image is 166cm x 112 at 72ppi.How do I change the PPI?

What you are dealing with here is the difference between PPI (pixels pre inch) & DPI (dots per inch). The latter used to be used for both image resolution & print res, but, like megabytes, can lead to confusion until you get a handle on it all.
Basically, if I understand you correctly, you want to resize the image (not the canvas) and whilst doing that, you can adjust both the physical size and the resolution of the image. Most printing in the industry is done at 300dpi (image resolution) and printed at between 720ppi - up, or for offset printing even less.

I go to (in PS CS3) Image, Image Size, set the physical size by adjusting (in the Document Dimension section) the length/width and while you are in there, the resolution can be set to 300 or 200 at your choice.
Usually you would ensure that the check boxes for Constrain Proportions and Resample image are checked. If you UNCHECK the Resample Image checkbox and then change the resolution first, you will see the physical size automatically change to suit. If you hit enter at this stage without changing anything else, nothing would appear to have changed on the screen unless you looked at the rulers and saw that the size is now smaller. This may suit you? But, back to the resize dialogue box.
If you are making the image larger, click on the lower drop down list which, by default, shows Bicubic and choose Bicubic Smoother. If making the image smaller, choose Bicubic Sharper. I am unsure about the choices in Elements 4, but the differences would not be great.

If you merely wanted to resize for the web or email, then you would resize with the Pixel Dimension section of this dialogue box and leave the res at 72.
This can go on forever, but that should cover it somewhat. Give a yell if it is not clear
Col
Photography. The Art of Seeing, Not Just Looking
http://www.frozentime.com.au
Colcam

Postby robert on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:55 pm

[/quote] If you UNCHECK the Resample Image checkbox and then change the resolution first, you will see the physical size automatically change to suit. If you hit enter at this stage without changing anything else, nothing would appear to have changed on the screen unless you looked at the rulers and saw that the size is now smaller. This may suit you? But, back to the resize dialogue box.
If you are making the image larger, click on the lower drop down list which, by default, shows Bicubic and choose Bicubic Smoother. If making the image smaller, choose Bicubic Sharper. I am unsure about the choices in Elements 4, but the differences would not be great.

Col[/quote]

Thanks Col- this was what I was looking for. Image size is now 33x22cm at 300ppi.

Is there a way to set the deault to 300ppi? my default opens everything at 72ppi?

Do you think this will make a difference to print quality? i was previously just shrinking the print at 72 ppi

Robert
robert

Postby Colcam on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:44 pm

robert wrote:Thanks Col- this was what I was looking for. Image size is now 33x22cm at 300ppi.
Is there a way to set the default to 300ppi? my default opens everything at 72ppi? Do you think this will make a difference to print quality? i was previously just shrinking the print at 72 ppi
Robert

In the programme Edit/Preferences there is a section where you can set up the defaults such as the default resize, but as to the default image res coming out of the camera, no. I have set up an Action in PS which resizes the image from 72 dpi to 400dpi by unchecking the Resample Image checkbox and just adjusting the resolution to what I want, then OK, save the action with a Function key applied to it and then whenever I want to zap a camera image, I press F5 (In my case) & bingo, it is immediately about 29cm instead of over 1 metre long and set to 400dpi. Check your help for actions & their setup or search the 'net. Places like Action Central have heaps already made.
Col
Photography. The Art of Seeing, Not Just Looking
http://www.frozentime.com.au
Colcam

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks Col.

Robert do you use a Canon perchance? I've noticed that they are always at 72DPI, where the Nikon is at 300DPI for a JPEG, although my D200 has the RAW at 72DPI...
bwhinnen

Postby robert on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:38 pm

thanks col,
i've now changed the default blank to 300ppi but cant change the open image at 300ppi. i will look for an action but I'm using Elements 4 so while good for all I need, not the best out there.

brett- yeah its a 400D, only had it less than two months and love using an SLR again, since i got my digital P&S over a year ago didnt really pick up a film camera again. At least I can use some of my old EOS lenses- the 50 1.8 and 100mm macro are great. I think i will sell my 28 and 24mm, i also got a 10-22.

Its also nice to use a zoom again- -in my futile quest for image quality i restricted my self to primes.

I am seriuosly contemplating selling the 400D and getting a 40D. Mainly for a larger size (used to an EOS 3) and the live view. Just great for party shots and shooting low down- I love it on the P&S.
robert

Return to Post Processing