World's Greatest Shave - Leukaemia Foundation

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

World's Greatest Shave - Leukaemia Foundation

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:38 pm

Guys, most of you would have heard of the Leukaemia Foundation's (LF) "World's Greatest Shave" charity event, where people arrange to have their hair coloured, dyed or shaved/shaven (choose correct word) off (or, as they say in Brisbane "orf").

My company and I are participating in this for 3 main reasons:

1. My father was diagnosed with Leukaemia in August 2005, went into remission in December 2005 (thanks to the fantastic work of the oncology department at Westmead Hospital) and was re-diagnosed again in January this year.
2. This is a great fundraising event that benefits a worthwhile organisation.
3. In our industry (Financial Planning), there are many payments and kickbacks that financial planners get which create conflicts of interest (which is basically a situation where the client's interests are in conflict with that of the planner to maximise the amount they get paid). One of these areas is via the use of "platforms" (admin systems) which pay planning groups "volume rebates", which are basically commissions by another name. My company rebates all commissions and brokerages back to clients, but, unfortunately, is in receipt of these volume rebates, which can not effectively be rebated back to clients. At the end of all that, we, with the agreement of affected clients, are going to donate all the rebate we have received to the LF via the Greatest Shave. We are challenging all other financial planning groups to do the same! phew!

I, along with a colleague, will have our heads shaved and all this is occurring on Friday,16 March at our office in Brookvale, where Ex-Olympian Melinda Gainsford-Taylor has committed to doing the honours. Whilst technicalities are to be confirmed, we are hoping to have Channel 10's Tim Bailey present his weather report from the event to additionally promote the charity fundraising.

If you would like to show your support, then please register online as a sponsor (details below)

Go to Worlds Greatest Shave

Click on DONATE

Select I am sponsoring someone who is shaving

Press Next

Go Down to Group Name section

Type in Strategy First

Press Search

Click on SPONSOR (next to Strategy First)

Type in your contact details

Type in your credit card details

Click CONFIRM

The Leukaemia Foundation will email you a receipt for tax purposes.

To give you some added motivation or to simply give you a laugh,
please see a “Photoshop” prediction of just how silly Dave and Pat
will look on the World’s Greatest Shave website. They are both registered
under Strategy First Financial Planning and to locate the photos, click on the link below.

http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/profile.php?id=291554

Your help would be greatly appreciated by those who are directly or indirectly affected by leukaemia.

Mods, if this is inappropriate or in the wrong area, feel free to move/delete.

Cheers

Patrick
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Geoff on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Great cause Patrick - I will certainly throw a few $$ your way! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks Geoff - greatly appreciated
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Bump? :lol:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Manta on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:22 pm

One good bump deserves another. Having recently lost my father-in-law to this insidious disease, I'm happy to contribute Patrick. Hope you raise HEAPS. I may well do the deed myself next year... take me that long to build up the courage!
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Great cause Patrick, will kick in there.

Just fixed your link, it wasn't working
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks guys - every dollar is greatly appreciated!

We are very close to confirming that this event may receive Channel 10 coverage, including footage of our heads being shawn! Will keep posted.

Cheers

Patrick
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:footage of our heads

Better than headage of your feet. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:26 pm

gstark wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:footage of our heads

Better than headage of your feet. :)

Quite! :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby radar on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:38 pm

Pat,

just added my donation. It is an awful disease. One of our best friend has just been diagnosed with the AML variety of leukemia, which is one of the worst ones :( He started his chemo a couple weeks ago.

He's only 47.

Good one Pat, thanks,

André
(edit: fix the acronym)
Last edited by radar on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks a lot Andre - my father had the acute version (not sure which acronym that is), which is more treatable than the chronic, but only if you catch it early.

I didn't mention earlier, but we are also trying to negotiate with a very large financial institution to double whatever we are able to raise (trust me, they can afford it).

Cheers

P
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby radar on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:55 pm

sorry about the acronym, typed it wrong to start with :oops:

AML = Acute Myeloid Leukaemia

remission is only rated at 20% :(

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby DaveB on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:04 pm

My father died from leukaemia last year. Thanks for supporting WGS!
I've just sent some $$ to your group. Last year my wife Jane shaved her head, but we haven't got the energy this year. :? BTW, I've reported to the site admins that the donation form doesn't work properly with the Safari browser. I had to use FireFox to get it to keep my name and address information.
DaveB

Postby Geoff on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:19 pm

It is indeed a great cause and an awful disease. We treat quite a few AML patients at work, sadly by the time they get to us, they often don't leave. Great work Patrick, seriously mate - kudos to you!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Geoff & Andre, I am not 100% sure which type my father had/s, although I am confident it is one of the acute varieties. He was incredibly luck to have been diagnosed quickly as he, being a vet, is very used to self-diagnosis of any malady.

I guess the reason I wasn't sure of the type was due to my way of dealing with the diagnosis - put on my professional hat and provide assistance to my mother (primarily) and father as opposed to emotional support - I guess this allowed me to hide, which may not have been the best way to deal with it.

P
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:51 am

A friendly bump - today's the day I lose my luscious locks of hair.

We have received an enormous amount of support, including from members of this forum, for which I (on behalf of the LF) greatly appreciate.

We have also achieved a lot of publicity regarding one of the reasons behind our initiative in our industry press, including a front page article in one magazine, to the point that, in my view at least, one of the big players who we are trying to pick a fight with has sought to respond via an op-ed!

So, today's not the last day for you to make a tax-deductible donation for this fantastic cause! :D

Cheers

P
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks for the reminder Patrick, just went and made my donation for this worthwhile cause. Hope the new haircut comes out ok :D
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Thanks for that Glen, it is greatly appreciated.

Also, Geoff has kindly agreed to act as the official photographer for the day and volunteered to donate half his payment to the Foundation - so a big thank you* to Geoff - that is excellent generosity and shows a great spirit!

Cheers

P

* I reserve the right to withdraw these thanks if Geoff makes me look too, shall we say, freaky in the photos! :lol:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Here's to Geoff, here's true blue

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Well, my head has been shawn, and Geoff captured it all on digital memory. The afternoon was great - we had a tremendous show of support. Mel Gainsford-Taylor did a great job in not drawing any blood - seriously, she did a great job.

Geoff did an awesome job taking photos of the day, interacting fantastically with everyone and I look forward to seeing the photos. As a result of seeing Geoff in action today, I would endorse him as a photographer for anyone's wedding or important event. Thanks a bunch Geoff! :D

And again, thanks for everyone who has supported us in raising money for the Leukaemia Foundation - and it isn't too late to log on and donate!

Cheers

Patrick
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Geoff on Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Wow! Very kind words, thanks Pat!
Ok...

Before:

During:

And after:

It was indeed a great afternoon, it went soo quickly and there are a tonne of images! Congrats to Patrick and the rest of his team that helped earn a lot of $$ for the LF!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Agghhh! Agghhh!!!

The bald-cricket-cranking-medium-formatting-aroma-artiste is here!

Run! Run for your lives!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Geoff on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:49 am

Thought I had to show this one too:

Geoff
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:45 am

Umm, thanks Geoff?? :lol: :lol:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:49 pm

Just to let everyone know, as it stands, we have raised over $10,000 for the Leukaemia Foundation, which I think is a great effort, and only made possible because people have been so generous.

Whilst it is not too late to make a donation, I want to thank, again, everyone who sponsored us, and Geoff who pretty much donated his time to take some great photos of the event.

Thanks

Patrick
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Well done Patrick on the amount you raised. Congrats on the photography Geoff.
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:01 am

As an update, our company, via the generous support of many friends, has raised an even $11,000 for the Foundation.

A great effort of which I am proud to have played a part! :lol:

Thanks to all those who donated.

P
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby adam on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:21 am

At uni yesterday, outside the engineering faculty, they were waxing chests and between legs (as well as shaving heads). eee!
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Ronza on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:10 am

One of the groundskeepers lost his 30-year old moustache on Friday, don't think he quite came close to the $11000 contribution you've managed Patrick!

30 MAR 2007 - NOVAR GARDENS, ADELAIDE - After 30 years, Russel Barnett loses his moustache courtesy of college principal Kevin Richardson at the annual Immanuel College Athletics Carnival held on campus at Novar Gardens, Adelaide on the 30th of March 2007.
Ronza

Postby adam on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:24 pm

great shot Ronnie ;)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Return to Events