EOI: Melbourne digital workflow workshop

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

EOI: Melbourne digital workflow workshop

Postby DaveB on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 am

At the recent Photoshop workshop we mainly covered the tools available in Photoshop itself (after all, there's only so much you can cover in one day) with Matt talking briefly about his sandbox/reject_bin system of sorting shoots.
But I got the impression that there was a lot of interest in the whole workflow area, including:
  • Various ways of organising your images.
  • Efficient ways of processing your shots, all the way from importing to final use.
  • It would concentrate on the use of RAW photos, in both Bridge/Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom 1.0.
  • Managing white balance.
  • Dealing with colour spaces, including when outputting to the web and to printers.
  • Noise reduction.
  • Appropriate use of sharpening: "capture" and "output" sharpening.
I have developed most of a 1-day plan covering these. The next question is how much interest there would be in this. It would be a one-day event in Melbourne for about 10 people. No clear idea of when/where yet. There would probably be a cost involved ($50-$100?) but that depends on the final arrangements.

The workshop would concentrate on CS2 and Lightroom primarily because these are the tools I use. There may be room in the afternoon for a short presentation on using different tools (NC? BreezeBrowser? Bibble? C1?) if there's someone who can present on these. The presenter should work with me to make sure they have a basic "lesson plan" together: at the Photoshop workshop when I was demonstrating a few things I was painfully aware that I didn't have appropriate sample images lined up for a smooth presentation!

As I mentioned above there's a limit to how much we can fit into a single day, so the plan I'm putting together might skim over some areas. I'd be interested in comments on particular areas of interest.

Is there any interest at all?
DaveB

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:16 pm

I'd be interested :D

Your lesson plan, does it look like a full day, or could we perhaps add a few hours of SB800 (portable lighting) techniques [being greedy as i need to master the nikon CLS before April :oops: ]

I'd be happy to be involved.
Oz_Beachside

Postby kab on Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:29 pm

Yep, I'd be keen for another one, and this one sounds like it would be a good follow up sesh.

Certainly interested in the whole workflow encompassing capture to print, ensuring you're colour callibrated all the way. I'd like to see some prints, and comparison prints with the different sharpening techniques. May also be helpful/benficial if you could provide soft copies of the actions, settings & images we use on the day to perhaps recreate some of the stuff we saw.

Till next time...
Regards
Keith
kab

Postby DaveB on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:28 am

No I don't think there'll be room for "a few hours of SB800" stuff. We would be trying to cram in too much.
Keep in mind that we won't be able to cover everything in detail, but you should go away with a good overview of various ways of processing your images.
I'm trying to come up with the right compromise between detail and fitting everything in.
I think I'd like to briefly cover ways of organising the images with iView MediaPro (now called Microsoft Expression Media!) but that would essentially be a very brief demo so you know what it's about when people mention it.

Keith, yes the "hand-outs" can include soft copies. Good idea.
I'm not sure about making the soft copies available at the beginning of the session or not: while there may be value in bringing your own laptops along, we won't have time for people to get bogged down exploring the examples as there'll be a lot to get through.

This "workflow workshop" is going to be fairly full: there's lots of information to impart and it's something that could be spread out over multiple days. We can fit it into one day (which I expect will be a lot easier for everyone to commit to) but there won't be room for unrelated things such as Nikon-specific lighting experiments.
Incidentally, I'm currently working on the lesson plans for a 6-week colour management & colour printing subject I'm going to start teaching in April (for one of the photography colleges) and I think I'm going to be struggling to fit in all the details I want to cover into 6 sessions!

There might be scope for having two workshops in one weekend, but maybe also there's scope for semi-regular Melbourne get-togethers to cover things like this? Finding appropriate venues could be a problem of course.
DaveB

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:25 pm

So thats 3, how many others are intersted in something like this?
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:50 pm

how are we looking for interest? This would be a solid round 2 of the Photoshop workshop we had in Feb.

Think we had 8-10 there, would the same emmebers be interested in this? I know I am!!!
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:18 pm

how about we do this second half of april? how are people for dates?

will be a weekend, either a saturday, or sunday.

post your preferences, or PM DaveB or myself.
Oz_Beachside

Postby photograham on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:54 pm

Spoke to DaveB during the week and let him know of my interest. Timing is of the essence for me as we are of to Europe in early May - 37 days to go but who's counting!
photograham

Postby blinkblink on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:21 pm

I'm interested. I'm doing a straw bale building course on the last weekend of the month.

Any other time suits me.

Chris
blinkblink

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:27 pm

OK, so we have the following options for a 1 day workshop;

Saturday, April 21
Sunday, April 22

Saturday, April 28
Sunday, April 29

Saturday, May 5
Sunday, May 6

PLEASE POST WHICH DAYS ARE NO GOOD.
Oz_Beachside

Postby photograham on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:30 pm

At this stage, the April dates are better for me. The PMA show is on in Melbourne on thae first weekend in may, besides, it about my packing time for Europe.
photograham

Postby Matt. K on Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:50 pm

blinkblink
You're learning to build straw bales? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Matt. K wrote:blinkblink
You're learning to build straw bales? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yep, that one got my attention too!!
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby blinkblink on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Yes, I'm going doing an Associate Diploma in Straw Bailing.

Well ok, I'm building a strawbale house a bit later this year.

http://www.balewatch.com/
blinkblink

Postby casnell on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:10 pm

I'd be interested in a Sat date...

Chris
D200
casnell

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:59 pm

April is now full for me.

May 5, 6, 12 or 13 open for me.
Oz_Beachside

Postby chet on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:45 pm

did this ever go ahead?
chet

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:50 pm

chet wrote:did this ever go ahead?

that one is still on the cards, dont think we came to a landing on dates.

If you are interested, check out the calendar, we have a portraiture workshop next Sunday.
Oz_Beachside

Postby DaveB on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:09 am

We never settled on things before my last teaching gig started, but I'm hoping to clarify details after this weekend's workshop.
DaveB

Postby chet on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:10 am

can't do next sunday, but it sounds great. wasn't aware of the calender; I'll check it out.
chet

Return to Events