Merry Christmas, and a happy new Chimp!

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Merry Christmas, and a happy new Chimp!

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:09 pm

The Summer edition of Chimp is now available for your reading pleasure. Enjoy.

And from everyone involved with the DSLRUsers community, please have a safe and happy Christmas, and a very happy new year.

If you're going to drink, please get someone else to take the photos!

:)

Nnnnsic's edit: There's a small survey on the page before you download it. You'll get an email with the link, along with a redirection to a page holding the link.

The research we gain from this will help us to target Chimp better as I have no idea when I'm going to run out of ideas. :)

Please don't give out the link to anyone, however.

Important note - December 29 2006

I've just heard from Poon.

As you may be aware, there were some earthquakes over the holidays, and they have affected phone and internet communications in Taiwan and HK. He is currently unable to access many facilities, including his bank account, and it has made trading next to impossible.

Please be patient.
Last edited by gstark on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the effort Leigh

and to the contributors well done. Can't wait to read it
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Geoff on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:17 pm

Fanastic effort Leigh. I know how much blood sweat and tears you've put into this... Seriously, a great effort and something to be incredibly proud of. A big thanks too to the other contributors of the Summer Chimp! This is sure to be a great Christmas read!
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Raskill on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:29 pm

Excellent shall peruse it just now.

Wife in bed sick, son in bed, me have coffee.....
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:32 pm

The hours of work and attention to detail required to put this together is awesome, and says so much about those involved. In particular, the editor, Leigh, should be sincerely congratulated.

I'm looking forward to getting into it over the holidays.

Thanks to everyone involved.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Raskill on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Hear hear....

I only read it for the articles....

:roll:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby stubbsy on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Boy I thought it was tough being a contributor. Just been talking to Leigh and he's been working solid on Chimp this past week and managed to put in 5 hours today to meet the deadline.

Now that's dedication.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Now I just need a job.

I've been working on this all week because, short of a few articles that came in earlier on in the month or so, most of them came this past week.

So I've had little sleep getting this done and finding ways to come up with interesting designs that look cool and quirky and make us seem fun but professional at the same time.

And I had gear up the redesigned Chimp website which I'd been working on too.

Fun fun fun... now I just have to get the Pocket Edition and Chimp DS out (for those of us who for some reason or another want to read Chimp on their Nintendo DS :P).

Tonight, I look forward to sleep. I probably won't, but it's nice to look forward to something. :lol:
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Manta on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Outstanding work Leigh!

It's a bloody ripper read and it's a joy to look at too - I may well print off a large format glossy copy for the coffee table.

It's a great Christmas present for us all - thank you!

(And enjoy your sleep, when it does come!)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:15 pm

Cheers Manta! Thanks for the great read :)

If anyone spots any problems like odd boxes or odd lines, please PM me about them. I'm not sure why somethings are happening and it's probably a result of the amount of layers I use.

If anything goes wrong, it'll probably be on the Table of Contents page where I spent around 4-5 hours making sure it looked good. :)

But yeah, PM me if you see anything out of the ordinary, aside for the ants.

On one of Stubbsy's iMatch pages, there is a mark at the bottom of a page... that's not a glitch... that's a smushed ant.
Nnnnsic

Postby phillipb on Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:29 pm

I predict a very slow night at this forum.
If you're anything like me, I've just spent 1.5 hours reading through the chimp that I would otherwise have spent at the forum
EXCELLENT
Very hard to put down, I just had to read right through.
Congratulations to all involved.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby wendellt on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:46 am

great job to all involved

it's great to see some real involvement with this project

and congratulations to everyone who got featured, you deserve it

and especially Leigh now i see why you have been so busy, the hard work pays off.
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Yi-P on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:03 am

OUTSTANDING JOB!!!

Great work Leigh & others, be proud of your own productions :D

Edit:

after a little skimming of the e-zine, im surprised that our effort at Fred Hollow's exhibition was not mentioned to the public?? :?:
Yi-P

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:23 am

awesome work to Leigh and all the contributors. great topics and articles and photos as well :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:16 am

I've been working on some PDF settings tonight and as such there should be a new version of the High Res file going online later today for anyone that saw glitches or lines on their copy. It's a little bit larger.

Also, the Low Res one should be going online too and that'll be under 10mb.

If you want a Press or Printing version of the magazine because you'd like to print yourself a copy in the best quality, please don't hesitate to ask.
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:07 am

Yi-P wrote:after a little skimming of the e-zine, im surprised that our effort at Fred Hollow's exhibition was not mentioned to the public?? :?:

I'm not sure I understand.

We were actually listed on the official program for the event as a major sponsor.

Scott (MHD) gave a short talk on our contributon during the opening; that's him waving his arms about in the photos :).

That all seems plenty of mentioning to the public to me. :) :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby TonyH on Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:56 am

Hi Guys,

when I open the "chimp" the text reads very badly and the line spacing is not kerned correctly. One line reads over the top of another and bunches up so as to creat an almost illegible block of text.

is there a quick fix in my settings to rectify this? I also have this drama with some web sites (but not this one).

Cheers

Tony
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:10 am

Tony,

where exactly?

In the magazine? If so, what page etc?

Or in the download pages? If so .. first or second page, and what browser are you using?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:21 am

Appreciate your efforts - everyone involved in contributing to the summer Chimp. And especially Leigh for putting in all the hours. I'm downloading now... 8% done (my connection's slowed to 32k).
Onyx

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:23 am

The joys of shaping, eh Chi? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:24 am

Wow, just downloaded it and had a quick skim through it, looks great.

Well done Leigh for getting it all put together, a lot of work. Big thank you to everyone that contributed, just what I wanted for Christmas.

As a comment on the download, some people may get put off by having to supply an email, spam and all. A privacy notice that the email won't get used for spam/sold on/etc would help imho.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Manta on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:33 am

radar wrote:A privacy notice that the email won't get used for spam/sold on/etc would help imho.

It's there, Andre, on the home page. Says that the info is only gathered for DSLRUsers purposes, etc
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby radar on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:55 am

Honest, I haven't had anything to drink, yet :oops: :oops:

thanks Simon,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:55 am

Andre,

What Simon said. :) It was the first thing I put on the page.

And as an extra note, the system also records your IP address. To the one member who did not supply his correct email address, I know exactly who you are. What you did is pointless, and rather infantile. Then again, you did state your age range as being 0-18. :) Have a nce Christmas anyway, and enjoy our efforts.

All we want to do is get a guide as to the number of downloads, and the age and location etc of the people reading the magazine.

I don't see that as a major imposition, and if I get too many VIs downloading the magazine, I'll only make the link available via the email address supplied, which was my first preference.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:32 am

Tony, I did some major modifications to the options I use to export the PDF's very early this morning while I probably should've been sleeping.

I've just updated the file so go and try that again in a few minutes. The download link should be the same. It's a little bit higher in size, but it's been corrected for modern versions of Acrobat.

Sorry to anyone who's download might be compromised by this update!
Nnnnsic

Postby blacknstormy on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:11 pm

Leigh - you've done a great job, as usual :) Looks great !!!
Congratulations, and to all contributers - well done - there is some great info in the mag, and I'm looking forward to catching people chimping, and having a good read :)
hugs
Rel
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Alex on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:20 pm

Thanks for your efforts everyone put in into this. Downloading now.

Alex
Alex

Postby Killakoala on Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:23 am

Fantastic effort all round by everyone. A big thank you to everyone who was involved with this edition. Well done Leigh. It looks great.

The e-zine is a great read and i enjoyed it.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Greg B on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:30 am

Just back after a few days away from the computer and have downloaded Chimp. Well done again Leigh, beautifully put together. And to the contributors, outstanding work.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Marvin on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:08 pm

I can't seem to download my copy. I get a page not found error and when I try to save where the link comes from it doesn't work either. It may be me - I signed up for the high res version at my brother's place over xmas thinking I could download it with his broadband and then realised I forgot my password to log into online email so I couldn't download it until today, a few days after I signed up. Has something changed or is it just me? But, as I'm home on my crappy dial up I might need to sign up again to get the low res version.
Ta,
Lee :cry:

Edit: I re-signed up and it worked ok.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:22 pm

Marvin wrote:I can't seem to download my copy. I get a page not found error and when I try to save where the link comes from it doesn't work either.

Lee,

In order to prevent people from downloading Chimp without having completed the signup form - yep, there's a few who just want to steal this, even though it's free - we're changing the links on a regular basis.

So please go back to the Chimp site from your logged-in status here, and complete the form again.

Sorry.

Also, when you get to the link, right click, and then select Save As. That's a better option for most users.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Marvin on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:19 am

No worries. Got it thanks. Looks fantastic and very professional. Have just been reading it!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:19 am

Leigh, Gary, Simon, Peter, Andre, Matt, Maya & Fraser,

Absolutely fantastic work ! Thank you for all your hard work (especially you Leigh) in culminating this into something wonderful, for all photographers to enjoy.

I just finished printing a copy from the Hi-Res PDF on a HP Colour Laser printer (here at work) and it looks GREAT....even on 80 gsm paper :lol:

Now it's time to go and wire bind it so I have something to read on the train....that is far more interesting than the MX or Herald Sun (and has much better images too, might I add).

I'm already looking forward to Issue 3 and the 2nd part to Stubbsy's iMatch write-up.

Well done everyone....you have done yourselves (and our online community) proud :)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:01 am

Just so people are aware, I will be uploading the remaining content to the Chimp page in the next week or so, as well as the Pocket PC edition (which will probably be a better download for dial-up users than the Low Res edition) but I'm just in the midst of finishing up a short film.

So yeah... it's not laziness, it's Leigh and a deadline.
Nnnnsic

Postby wile_E on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:43 pm

Hey there, will peruse once I get an email. However, it looks like excellent work. Just one minor comment. When filling out the survey, the options seem to be hidden (when I scroll my mouse across it, that choice becomes visible).
wile_E

Return to Announcements