Sunday morning coming down.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sunday morning coming down.

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:14 am

Here it is, 2 am Sunday morning.

I've just returned home from the Sydney Christmas dinner, and I think it's fair to say that a good time was had by all. Certainly, if you judge it by the time spent amongst friends, when you spend five hours at a restaurant, only leaving when they threaten to call the cops after you refuse to leave (only kidding), then it's fair to say that we all enjoyed a most remarkable night.

The important stuff

Challenge 12 - Stella By Streetlight

The entries we recieved were of a wonderfully high standard. Of those submitted for spot rulings, none were rejected. This is good.

In order to ensure that, where prizes are on offer, no one person gets to win all the prizes, we have a rule for the challenges that precludes recent major prize winners from winning a further major prize within the next 12 months. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad, but this challenge is the first time that we've needed to apply this rule.

The winners and the votes:

(1) Stella's Big Day! - 18 voters (59) Liam West (d70beetleboy)
(2) Waiting for the exchange - 15 voters (49) Mick (d70Oscar)
(3) Street Wise - 17 voters (44) Simon Fallon (d70Manta)
(4) Stella by Streetlight - 10 voters (34) Dave (d70aussiedave)
(5) It was a Strange Night!! - 10 voters (32) Adam Jenner (d50admajic)

Well done, everyone.

The prizes ... here is where the fun really begins. LIam was the winner of the major prize in our most recent challenge, and thus was unable to win the prize for this challenge.

We had basically decided that the major prize for this challenge was going to be a printer .... But Mick is a long time friend of mine, and about a week or so he asked me what sort of printer he should buy, and naturally, I recommended an Epson R1800. Mick can, at the forum's expense, buy something valued at $200.

Simon (Manta) will be getting a CF card donated by Glen. Dave and Adam will be getting books.

And Liam, too, won't be unrewarded. I have a Ron Reznick DVD on digital techniques, donated by Andrew Jones, that I think he may enjoy.

Picture of the Year

This is always a tough choice. Our Pictures of the Week are of such a high standard, and to pick from one of those ...

I'm glad that this is your job to vote for this award.

But the honour for this year goes to Poon!

Outstanding Member of the Year

Matt K.

Whether it's critiquing an image, helping another member learn how to use their camera, running a photoshop workshop .... Matt is always there, ready and willing to help somebody else enjoy our shared passion for this hobby of photography.

Matt says he does it because he love photography, and that is true.

But with Matt, it's more than just a love of photography - it's a passion, and it burns within him. And it's a passion, not just for photography, but to help others share and enjoy it. He loves it, and this love shines through in his work, his images, and his abilities and his desire to help others.

MAtt, on behalf of everyone here at DSLRUsers, thank you, and congratulations.

Goodies

As you know, Poon was gracious and kind enough to send me a package of goodies for distribution to our members at our dinner. It was decided (by me) that the best and fairest way to decide who got what was to simply raffle them off as lucky door prizes.

The goodies included camera batteries, flash diffusers, camera remote controls, a Bagman bag, and a Benro KB-2 Ballhead.

The Benro Ballhead was won by Mick (Oscar), and the Bagman by Patrick (Reschsmooth).

The other prizes? Too many to mention, as everyone left woth something.

Poon, we thank you for your generosity; it is greatly appreciated.

Roll on the Silly Season!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Poon on Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:38 am

Gary,

I am shocked to see this post and I got the honor of Picture Of The Year.

I think that I learn a lot of thing from the forum and every body can be my teacher. I saw many great photos by our forum members and I am just lucky to take that photo.

I love the forum and it gives me good memory and become part of my life.

I hope that I can do some thing for the forum in the coming year.

Wish all of my friends a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Regards
poon
Poon
The HK Connection

Postby Oscar on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:12 am

Congratulations Poon - a great shot for POTY. Well done.

Congratulations to Liam as well - another great challenge entry - and 2 in a row.

Cheers, Mick :) :) :)
Oscar

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:30 am

Congratulations to all our winners and to the forum on completion of another great year.

Sincere thanks to those who donated prizes to make our photographic experience in this forum so wonderful.

I can't avoid making comment about two of our special awards, namely Outstanding Member of the Year (MattK) and Photo of the Year (Poon).

MattK is an exemplary member who has made an outstanding contribution to this place over its time of existence. His award is thoroughly deserved and I am extremely happy for him.

Poon's winning photo is likewise outstanding, and it has stayed with me since I first saw it. It reminds me of a scene from a sci-fi movie, but it is also "right here, right now" photojournalism. Fantastic.

Well done to Gary, Leigh and everyone else who laboured hard to make last night (and the year) such a success.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Manta on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:02 am

What a night it must have been!

Congratulations to Liam (I knew you'd win it!), Mick (fantastic shot) and to all the other participants in the Challenge. I'm honoured to have been a placegetter in such auspicious company. Thanks Glen for donating my prize :lol: and to Scott, Gary and all the behind-the-scenes workers that make these comps work so well. Terrific effort.

Poon - what can I say? This image is one of those that haunts the viewer. A very deserved win. Well done!

MattK - hearty congratulations from your predecessor! I know you'll be extremely humbled by this accolade, as I was this time last year. You are one of the mainstays of this forum and your experience, advice, humour and support have contributed greatly to the photographic talents of its members. Well done mate - fitting recognition for the effort you put in.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby beetleboy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:11 pm

Really wish (like many others I suspect) I could have been there but very glad to see everyone had a good time!

Congrats to Poon and MattK - both very well deserved recognition.

Also, I think I speak for everyone in thanking all of the people that keep this forum running as smoothly as it does; I'm not going to mention names in fear of leaving someone out (and it would be a bloody long list!!) PLUS every forum member that contributes or learns from this community.

Liam :)
beetleboy

Postby Reschsmooth on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:16 pm

Again, a fantastic night was had, and Alicia & I really appreciate Poon's (& Gary's) efforts allowing us to win the Bagman. Many, many thanks.

Poon, that is the first time I have seen the POTY winner - very good shot and well deserved winner.

Looking forward to catching with members many more times over the year ahead.

P
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:02 pm

A big thank you to Poon, I think the last time I went to a party when everyone left with a prize was when I was eight. Very, very generous of you Poon.

Well done to Matt K for everything he has done which got him to outstanding member of the year.

Congrats Liam, great entry, also to Mick who thinks it is ok to win with his rejects :lol: plus all the other placegetters.

Thanks to all the organisers, especially Gary who soldiered on during this time of personal tragedy. Thank You

A great night seemed to be had by all.
Glen

Postby macka on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Congrats to the various winners - Poon and Beetleboy for their excellent images, and Matt K for his well deserved accolade, and well done to all participants in the various recent competitions.

I hope everybody had a lovely evening yesterday - it certainly seems that everyone did - look forward to seeing all the photos. :D
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby wendellt on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:02 pm

Congratulations to all winners
this forum isd great because it allows people to share their passion

and the support is fantastic as well i remember asking mt first newbie question about a 50mm lens a year ago and since then everything has changed.

thankyou poo and admin staff for the christmas present
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby beetleboy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:23 pm

wendellt wrote:thankyou poo

Hope the new nickname doesn't stick (to a blanket!)!!! :o
beetleboy

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:36 pm

wendellt wrote:thankyou poo and admin staff for the christmas present

Wendell, Wendell Wendell ...

Is there nothing that you cannot break? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wendellt on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:41 pm

oh crap

I meant to say 'Poon' sorry POON!
i just staed the obvious, how embarassing
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Geoff on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:43 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

'oh crap' Poo? Dear oh dear :)

We luv ya Wendell :) :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Yi-P on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks to everybody and Poon for the great event and dinner yesterday night.

And congrats again to Poon and fellow award winning members here!! Greatly deserved and now means I have to work harder to get my shots there next time :P

Ohh, we should now be very popular with those flash socks, as a symbol for DSLRUsers when you see someone out there with one of these attached to their built-in flash. :lol:

Im still figuring out how to use it properly :roll:
Yi-P

Postby Oscar on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:15 am

Congratulations to Matt for the Outstanding Member of The Year award. Well deserved. Cheers, Mick :) :) :)
Oscar

Return to Announcements