what do you think of this female model retouch?

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

what do you think of this female model retouch?

Postby robster on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:24 pm

Before and After: Brutal is best, I can take it :)

Rob

and

ta :)

Rob
EOS30D || 50mm 1.8 Canon || 20-70mm 2.8 Sigma || 2 x Speedlites || Potatoshop
http://www.localliquid.com
http://www.10secondclub.net
http://www.surrenderdorothy.com.au
robster

Postby Alex on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:27 pm

I think I'd like to see more tonal separation in the final result. Also I think the face is a bit soft unless it was an effect you were going for. Otherwise, it's not bad.

Alex
Alex

Postby Geoff on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:31 pm

I would agree with Alex here. I think you've got the lighting quite nicely done, however I find her face too soft. Was this intentional?
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:50 pm

Rob
You asked for brutal honesty.....here it is. First off...look carefully at the image and see if you can determine where the visual 'energy' is. It is in her eyes. This is what we all see first. We then follow her gaze to????out of the picture space. Anything that leads the eye out of the picture space weakens the composition and impact of the image. Solution? Next time ask her to look into the lens...or at some other point of interest in the image This other point of interest could be something in her hands etc.

Next thing is the background. It is rarely a good thing to photograph someone standing close to the background. Ask her to step forward about 5 paces (if you have the room) and the background will turn into a featureless space that will not distract the viewer from the main elements of the image.

They are the only two things that I think work against the image.
Cheers
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby wendellt on Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:54 pm

it's
good but it needs more room around the subject to flatter the concept
which i am asuming is 'subject' out of darkness or
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

I see what you all mean...

Postby zafra52 on Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:05 pm

I see what you all mean, but composition and framing issues aside, which of course are very important, I find the first photograph more to my taste despite it shortcomings because it comes across as a more natural shot. I find the look of the other shots a bit artificial. I guess, and it is only my opinion, playing with the image in Photoshop or any other program is alright providing it enhances this image and results in a reasonable natural picture, however in this case the clever tweaking has produced a synthetic image almost as if the model was created with a graphic application. In my modes opinion, and this comes from someone that can hardly find the shutter button most of the times, I would have sharpened the image a bit, not too much, and blurred the background just a touch.
zafra52

Postby digitor on Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:35 pm

rasice,

Wide images like you posted are not a good idea, they make a lot of people have to scroll to read the posts on that page. 800 pixels is the limit!

Having said that, I think that having the pupils on the edge of the eye like that is a bit of a no-no for portraits - it looks like she was distracted by somebody tapping on the window, just as the shutter was released!

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Greg B on Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:23 am

Rob

I actually like the treatment here. I like the softness and the colouring and the mystery of the subject gazing off to the right of frame.

At the same time, I think the other comments here - Matt's in particular - are excellent advice, I just happen to really like your shot the way you have done it.

Great model too, by the way.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby joolz on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:00 am

I think it's a nice photo and though I agree about some of the compositional suggestions, it still works for me.
In any case this is a PP section, so I have taken the liberty of doing a quick 15minute take on what I would consider doing.
Some blemish retouching, vignette, curves, highlights & colour balance:
Julian
joolz

Postby Bob G on Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:31 am

I think MATT k has pretty much nailed it in terms of constructive critique
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Return to Post Processing