ALL THINGS ORDINARY, LOOK EXTRAORDINARY

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:16 am

Special Challenge – You have the good fortune of sight; use it to its fullest, to produce an image for this challenge, and SAVE THE SIGHT of SEVEN PEOPLE!!!! In addition, your work will be on exhibit in the NAB Gallery in Melbourne’s Docklands.

The Theme:
The images are to depict the everyday objects, life, spaces and places in a new light, giving a fresh look to ordinary things. Creating the message of wonder, amazement and appreciation of being able to see the simple things. Let your imagination get the better of you and illuminate the ordinary that surround us everyday; and most importantly have FUN.

The Exhibition will consist of a diverse and impressive collection of original and editioned works, generously donated by emerging and professional photographers. The images showcased will be open to the public and on sale at a fixed price of $350.00 ($350 divided by 25 = 14 eyes = 7 people). All proceeds will be to the Fred Hollows Foundation, and go towards saving the sight of up to 7 people per print! It will be held at The National Australia Bank (NAB) 800 Bourke Street, Docklands from Thursday 16 November to 24 November.

The opening will be a festive celebration of food, drink and music with a prominent invitation list. Along with the sale of the photographs, a professional hand made patchwork quilt to be auctioned on the night of the opening. All proceeds raised at this event will be donated directly to the foundation and we will be highlighting through the duration of the exhibition – save the sight of 7 – purchase a photo.

Acknowledgement:
Donators will be acknowledged through all correspondence, public relations, media coverage and advertising material leading up to and throughout the exhibition. We will also have a ‘People’s choice prize’ presented to the winning exhibitor and announced in the media after the event.

Selection Criteria
Generally the images are expected to be in line with the Theme. Images are not subject to artistic selection criteria, rather a decency review. Images that are considered offensive to parties involved in the Exhibition will be excluded. Prints will be mounted within 16x20”.

Deadlines

Sep 7 2006 - Expression of Interest – please register your interest here.

I'd like to get this part wrapped up ASAP so that we can get the information off to the organisers within their timeframe.

Sep 20 2006 - Delivery of Photograph (original files) – Upon registering your interest, you are now taken to our gallery site, set up specifically for this event. You should use this opportunity to register there as well, and you will then use that site to upload your image so that we can then take over the logistics of getting it printed and mounted, ready for the exhibition. Please note that only those registering an EOI will be granted registration privileges. Please do not register at the gallery site unless and until you have completed your EOI with a CV.

Bargains

Just a couple of quick notes and reminders for you.

With the new system in place, I've seen that I can shave a few more dollars from our prices, and I have updated the database accordingly. Please note that these prices include shipping to your door from Hong Kong, and also please note that any surplus from the sales generated through this site go straight back into supporting the costs of running the site, rather than filling the pockets of any dealers.

Finally, please also note that we have prices on the D80 and the new 70-300VRII. Initial stockes of the D80 will be in HK next week, and one can be in your hands the following week!

Newsflash - D80 is now in stock, and ready for shipping!

Place your orders now.
Last edited by gstark on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:22 am

Gary

Just to be clear on this. Let's say we have 100 expressions of interest will all those people then be forwarding their files to Oz or is the idea to get an idea first of how many people want to participate and take it from there?

Also what is the cost (if any) to the members who donate their pics (eg who pays for the printing of the image)

Edit: just answered my first question by clicking the expression of interest link:
At this stage, all that is being sought are responses from those who may be interested in participating in this worthwhile event. As we further understand how we may be able to assist the foundation, we shall be back in contact with you.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:43 am

Peter,

My understanding is that the organisers would be thrilled to have 100 expressions of interest from us.

Oz has indicated that he would be willing to donate the printing costs, but I don't know that he would be willing to do that for 100 images. :)

I certainly have some facilities here to print some images, and our intention is that, one way or another, there will be no cost to the participants for their entry to this exhibition.

It's my belief, and I know that I speak on behalf of several others here, that the concept of a photographic challenge supporting the Fred Hollows Foundation is one that couldn't be more ideally conceived, and as such, we view this as a vitally important function of DSLRUsers, and we will do everything we can to make this exhibition a major success.

With that comment, I would love to see our mail servers overloaded with expressions of interest, and to see some of the excellent talent that our members have being put to the benefit of such a worthwhile cause.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:01 pm

This is very interesting as it is. A great opportunity to donate some effort for the charity :D

If we end up with 100 expression of interests, 100 pictures print and framed. I understand that the price is set at $350 each, but then, who will be the great donors of the fund for the $350 per print. I mean, if those 100+ pictures are to be sold to the charity fund, there must be an initial source from where this money will come from. In other words, who are the ones who are buying the prints? 100 prints at $350 each is a great sum of $35,000 :shock: And let alone, these come from DSLRU community and not counting the others? PS.
Just want to make sure, the theme: "All things ordinary, looks extraordinary" -- Is there any sort of further specific restriction on it?
Last edited by Yi-P on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yi-P

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:03 pm

Yi-P wrote:PS.
Just want to make sure, is the theme: "Simple and Attractive" ? Is there any sort of further specific restriction on it?

I read it and understood the theme to be ALL THINGS ORDINARY, LOOK EXTRAORDINARY
Alpha_7

Postby Yi-P on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:13 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:I read it and understood the theme to be ALL THINGS ORDINARY, LOOK EXTRAORDINARY

Yes, I understand that too...
I just rephrased the question... :)
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm

Yi-P,

Craig correctly understands the theme.

Consider that this is to assist the saving of sight of individuals in poorer nations, and what is is that we do with our eyes?

So ... perhaps colourful, bright, something distinctive?

Just a few random thoughts for your consideration.

The question of who is the donor is an interesting one. The photographer is donating an image. There is an expectation on ateendees at the exhibition opening that they buy an image; they are therefore donating the actual funds.

I see that both components of this are equal and important in the overall scheme of things, but others may view this differently. I don't know if that answers your first question, Yi-P. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:34 pm

hello,

Gary, thanks for your support on this.

I will help to provide a conduit to the organisers for any "technical" questions, but they are very open, to support images proposed.

I have offered to contribute to the logistics, printing, mount, and have offered my support to do that. If we have others in the group that can contribute towards printing, and funds, that would be great, but at this stage, I would love the members to focus on capturing amazing images, as we see through the lens...

The "buyers" of the prints, will generally be those in attendance to the opening evening. All are welcome to this cocktail party, with a general expectation that all of the images are sold via donation on the evening of the 16th.

So go on, get out there, and capture your brilliance in a magical image, and take pride in the fact that your work will "Save the Sight of Seven".

Warmest regards, and thanks
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby rokkstar on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

Gary,

I'd like to contribute to this. Does the image need to be taken now or can it be an archive?
I was thinking of donating one of my pictures of smoke to them? What are your thoughts? It's an ordinary thing made extraordinary I guess.
Specifically this one http://mk23.image.pbase.com/v3/50/82750/1/50950967.smoke16.jpg

Cheers
Matt
rokkstar

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:40 pm

The images are welcome from archives. Unlike the challenges such at the "Egg" or Bubbles, the images are welcome from some of your past work. :D

I like the smoke!
Oz_Beachside

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:48 pm

MAtt,

I think that image would be perfect.

I've not yet checked the emails, but if you've not yet done so, please complete the EOI on the link and We'll get back to you with the details we need from you to progress this further.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Gary/Oz/To whom it may concern

Say, unlike Matt, I don't already have an image to provide, yet I have some ideas for a shot. (Embryonic as they are) Would it be frowned upon if I submitted an EOI but, for whatever reason, wasn't able to provide an image of suitable standard or, worse luck, an image at all?
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:10 pm

Simon,

I certainly would not be at all concerned were something like this to transpire, and from my discussions with Oz, I don't believe that this would present any issues: your EOI is exactly that.

Oz is the one who has spoken with the organisers, however, and I think he's probably best equipped to answer this question.

For now, the EOIs are only going as far as me :) so there is certainly no harm in making that first step. I think we have a few days leeway before submitting EOIs to the organisers, and so, if there are any issues there, we can certainly withhold something at that later point.

I'm sure Oz will clarify this point further though.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:27 pm

Hello,

I dont think it will be frowned upon at all, as an expression of interest is intended to gain an estimate of numbers for the organisers.

At a later stage they will require to firm this up, as they are intending to publish a exhibition guide. So a 50 word CV will be required, but not at this early stage.

thanks
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:33 pm

Oz, thank you for giving us all this opportunity to contribute to such a worthwhile cause. Without doubt the most meaninful challenge I have yet seen.
Glen

Postby MHD on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:18 pm

EOI sent...
I was thinking about this one:
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:18 pm

Glen wrote:Oz, thank you for giving us all this opportunity to contribute to such a worthwhile cause. Without doubt the most meaninful challenge I have yet seen.

Hear, hear. That certainly sums up my feelings too Glen. Perhaps this is the first of many such avenues for members to use their talents towards charitable objectives.

Thanks Oz.

(and thanks to you and Gary for clarifying the EOI situation)
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
Manta

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:38 pm

Scott, yes!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:00 pm

thanks all, my pleasure, and I too am excited about the theme, and what this will achieve.

I had 3 shoots on the weekend, and one was with a 15 month old, trying to capture her energy, and amazment as she discoved new things. Wow, first time with such a youngster, and it was outdoors in very bright sun, it turned out to be a poor shoot. I would have needed a 18-400 VR 1.4 to keep up with her :wink:

MHD, your image was precisely the image I thought about when I read the theme for the first time, and I hope you submit that one!

cheers,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:31 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:I would have needed a 18-400 VR 1.4 to keep up with her :wink:

You mean you haven't got one, Oz? You can borrow mine, only used once on a Jack Russell.....

:lol:
Simon
Manta

Postby JordanP on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:55 pm

What a fantastic opportunity to help while doing something we love. My EOI is in. Thanks OZ and Gary for organising.

Cheers,
Craig
JordanP

Postby optogamut on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:30 pm

Great project!

I might have to look through my archives tonight, I'm heading OS next week so much much time to shoot anything, but would love to be part of it.

Good luck with it everybody.
- Danny
D70, CP700, F80, FM, F, 50/1.8, 28-105,....

"Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety." -Plato
optogamut

Postby Geoff on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:41 pm

A fair amount of forethought and organsing as gone into this behind the scenes. May I represent the majorty and say a big thanks to oz and Gary for their work so far. Great idea!!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 pm

Was just thinking, if you have peers/colleagues who are not a part of this site, but may be interersted to submit an entry, I would be happy to put them forward to the Foundation also.

Perhaps you could complete an EOI on thier behalf, so we have a list of interested parties.

Kind Regards,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:34 pm

Geoff wrote:A fair amount of forethought and organsing as gone into this behind the scenes. May I represent the majorty and say a big thanks to oz and Gary for their work so far. Great idea!!

Here here, my thoughts exactly, we are a talent bunch of people here and its great to be giving back to the community, particularly the gift of sight something I think we'd all hope never to lose as photographers.
Alpha_7

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:37 pm

my thanks to Gary for helping me to raise this as a special challenge. Extended to others involved whom I may not yet be aware :)
Oz_Beachside

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:46 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:
Geoff wrote:A fair amount of forethought and organsing as gone into this behind the scenes. May I represent the majorty and say a big thanks to oz and Gary for their work so far. Great idea!!

Here here, my thoughts exactly, we are a talent bunch of people here and its great to be giving back to the community, particularly the gift of sight something I think we'd all hope never to lose as photographers.

Craig,

That is eaxctly the point, and the beauty of this exercise. Which, of our senses, is more important than that of sight?

That a group of photographers is able to, through their talent and vision, help to restore the vision of those who are less privileged than we might be, is a rare and precious gift that we hare able to help bestow upon others, and we should feel privileged that we are in a fortunate position to be able to assist in some way.

As a matter of information, we are already at 20 EsOI, including one from Poon, and another from the TA at Leigh's school.

That's 140 people whose sight we can help. Can we do better? I suspect so. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:57 pm

wow, restore the sight of 140 people, thats over whelming!

Imagine if we each submitted 2-3 images (of our own, or our friends), and had 143 entrants in total, that would RESTORE THE SIGHT OF ONE THOUSAND PEOPLE!!!

thanks for reaching out
Cheers
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby marcotrov on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:39 pm

Excellent idea and excellent cause. :) I remember meeting Fred and Gabby on an aboriginal mission (Kowanyama) in 1977. It was my first of two years teaching there, they were both very dedicated and committed. :) Well done Oz and Gary :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Dargan on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:22 pm

The winners of POTW may be a good place to start for the DSLR community as some of those images from members have been stunning. I don't think my skills are good enough yet to make the ordinary seem extraordinary. :roll:
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby ABG on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Gary and Oz,

what a fantastic concept and a wonderful opportunity to contribute to a very worthwhile cause. I dips me hat to both of ya. Well done! :D
Andrew
ABG

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:17 am

hello all,

spoke with the foundation today, and some of my notes below;

*they are expecting to publish an A5 brochure for the event, which will have the details of each entrant within.

*A draft conditions of entry will be sent to me in the next few days, I will summarise, and make available to this forum.

* They expect the exhibition to be closed on the weekend, but open diring the weekdays.

* Only one entry per photographer (but that doesnt mean one DSLRUSER members couldnt submit a few from friends????

* They are asking for voulnteers to work at the registration table of teh exhibition

* Images can be landscape or portrait, so long as they are in a mount which is constrained within 16x20 inches.

* NAB are psonsoring the drinks, and catering for the cocktail party.

* McCormick's are hanging the images, the day before the opening night, Nov 16.

Have a great wekend all,
Cheers,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Steffen on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:53 am

With regard to the fairly large print size, is there a recommendation as to the minimum pixel size of the images? This, of course, has to come from a 4MP shooter, but some heavy croppers with high-MP cameras might also want to know...?

Cheers
Stffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:20 am

Steffen,

You seem to have lost an e somewhere ....

No, I can't see it on the floor anywhere here ... :)

The size quoted is for the mounted print, ready for display. That actual print can be somewhat - and perhaps significantly - smaller. If Leon were, for instance, to enter his magnificent Sydney pano, to fit that within the dimensions specified, it would need to occupy almost the full width available, but would only be three inches high. :)

I think that there's a fair bit of leeway available here, but you still make a valid point for those who may be inclined to crop heavily.

But if you're referring to 4 D2HS megapixels, those pixels are so fat and rich, a full crop image should have no problems at all in being enlarged to the extend needed for this challenge.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:43 pm

hello,

the print size is limited to fit within 16x20 inches, or 20x16 inches, this is a maximium print.

Perhaps in your submission you should specify a print size you prefer. At this stage I intend to use Teds in Elizabeth Street to print, so perhaps along the lines of thier sizes?

Some images may be best presented small, other may need to maximise the mount area.

The criteria is designed to "provide an exhibition of consistent exhibits on the wall". Unfortunately, some images would be better outside, but this is one of the few eligibility criteria each entrant must meet. PS: I regret having a demo of the D200 last night :( its soo nice!

Cheers,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:15 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:PS: I regret having a demo of the D200 last night :( its soo nice!

Don't you just hate it when that happens? :)

And you've seen the current price from Poon, I trust? That price is due to a special shipment he's received, and I don't expect it to last more than a few days.

Bringing this back on topic ...

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in helping us with this most worthy of causes. I can't begin to tell you how excited we all are about this, but we have emails flying all over the place helping to get the logisitics of this working within the short space of time that we have available.

Within that context, everyone who has submitted an EOI thus far (or will be in the next couple of days) needs to prepare a short CV that will be included with your EOI as we submit it to the organisers.

As that submission will be happening on Friday next, we'll need these CVs by Wednesday. We're currently working on the best way to make this all happen, from your PC through to us, and thence on to the organisers, so we're currently screwing bits of code into PCs here, and maybe a mailmerge into a PC there ... :)

But for now, you're officially advised that we need this, and so please start preparing it so that when we have the infrastructure available for you, you can complete this part with a minimum of fuss and delay.

Thanx again for your support.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Gary

For the CV - any suggestion as to word count?
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Matt. K on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:58 pm

Gary
Stffen has a more erogenous ring to it! :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:58 pm

stubbsy wrote:Gary

For the CV - any suggestion as to word count?

Thanx for asking - I meant to include that minor point. :)

Less than 50.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Oz

As I understand it we are to send you an electronic copy of the image. Already covered are the image size (16 x 20 or 20 x 16), but it would be useful to know some of the following since they impact the size of the file being sent to you.:
- file format (Jpeg, TIFF, PSD?)
- pixels per inch (75, 150, 300?)
- colourspace (sRGB, AdobeRGB?)

Cheers
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:44 pm

It would really depend on who's doing the printing, actually.

Oz, if you could find out the company doing the printing, they should have a colour profile for Photoshop people can use to check their colour against.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby MHD on Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Please note: When uploading your image to the gallery please ensure that you get your title (taken from the jpeg file) and description right FIRST TIME... Due to some issues with G2 it is very hard to give users write permission to thier own photo without the rest of the gallery
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Yi-P on Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:46 pm

As for the CV, its less than 50 words. But what shall we include in it?

I think I have the photo ready to be submitted, just want to know if I need to submit the CV now before doing the pic.
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:05 pm

Whatevr you want to say.

Probably relevant to photography. I think it's going to go in their guide, so keep it PG rated.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:09 pm

gstark wrote:Whatevr you want to say.

Probably relevant to photography. I think it's going to go in their guide, so keep it PG rated.

:)

Gary,

Can I use the one I had on my main page (down at sig)??
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:15 pm

I presume you're talking about the middle para in the "about me" section?

Looks perfect to me. Go for it.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozczecho on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:38 pm

Probably a very stupid question, but are we donating a single copy, single use image, or the image to be used exclusively by them. Does that make sense?

Mike
ozczecho

Postby gstark on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:48 pm

Mike,

Not a stupid question at all.

We're getting the images printed, and we're submitting the mounted prints to them for display and sale.

It's as if you printed the photo yourself, and sold it for $350, and then gave the $350 to the Hollows Foundation, except that we're doing the printing and mounting, and they're doing the selling.

So, in the terms that you've asked, I think they get just a single copy of the image.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Is it limited of ONE image per member?
Yi-P

Postby ozczecho on Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:08 pm

Cheers Gary, quite simple really :D .

Here is my image I am going to donate:

ozczecho

Next

Return to Announcements