Nikkor 18-200 VR

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikkor 18-200 VR

Postby feldy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi guys - realise this is not strictly the place to post this [and that I may be severely disciplined :) ] but I'm a newbie, so hopefully I'll be excused.

Made a post under Nikon a couple of days ago about the above lens & so far no response, probably because the original threads were from several months ago. Took time to go through the threads and read through some of the (generally mixed) links....

Just wondered, now that the lens has been around for a while, what [as a member of my chat room: cremamagazine.com.au (coffee) would say] is the 'duck's guts' on it? Obviously it's a pretty useful focal range, but am interested in the general consensus on it, especially wrt sharpness of results.

Also, have posted this here as i'm a Sydney local, and thought i'd introduce myself (pic to follow).

cheers
-A
feldy

Postby Justin on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:32 pm

I think it's a great lens - but in terms of quantifiable sharpness - I think it is subjectively good - all my europe photos were taken with it (on a D70) - see http://picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby NeoN on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi feldy
Since I'm interested in this lens as well i read about five different Reviews in some detail , and from some knowledgeable photo Gurus the four of them gave it very good Marks overall, and one gave it a Average quality.Never the less for me is the best walk around lens especially on holidays safaris e.c.t.Ithink the photos that Justin took with it look great..Ultimately any lens can take a Great photo with some photographic knowledge .Good luck with your choice :D
NeoN[/b]
NeoN

Postby bonou2 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:53 pm

Hey guys,

What would be the best Nikon lens for Concert photography? I am using the D200 (yes i know about the noise) i want to shoot at around 400ISO if possible , but realistically i know i am going to have to bump it up to 800+. Any thoughts? Priced around a thousand or so as well?

Dan
bonou2

Postby hash77 on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:18 pm

I've been using a tamron 90mm macro f2.8 which has been pulling double duties as my portrait and concert lens too, you just have to use your legs to zoom!

Here are some examples

little birdy

Clare Bowditch

I've found it really depends on amount of light on stage, and try not to go above 800iso. Even at 400iso, the D200 seems to get some bad noise when it's really at the low end of it's exposure.

Thanks

Hash[/url]
hash77

Postby Justin on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:43 pm

Then get the 85 1.4 if you can afford it - and apologise to feldy for hijacking his thread :oops:

Depends on how far away you are. If you are closer, then a 28 2.8 or even 28 1.4

I found myself switching between a 50 1.4 and 28 2.8 at a recent gig, but the lighting was terrible.

Are you talking sydney philharmonic or the basement?
Justin

Postby feldy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:38 pm

no problem Justin, and thanks for your reply (above). By the way, some great shots.

-A
feldy

Postby bonou2 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:54 am

Sorry Feldy, i have the 50mm 1.4 i was worried about the length off the lens and the ability obviously not being able to zoom. But i must say i LOVE my 50mm. So i think that will have to do. I also have the 24mm 2.8 nikon, 70-200 2.8 nikon as well. But changing lenses is out of the question as it is a paid shoot and i get one chance at each band with one run thru only?

Dan
bonou2

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:02 am

Bringing this back on topic (unusual for me, I know) I've had a brief experience with this lens, and was quite impressed with the quality of the images it yielded.

It was a bit slow to focus - this was indoors at PIW at Darling Harbour - but the sharpness of the images, and the contrast within them, was very impressive.

As a walkaround or a general purpose lens, and especially for outdoors use (which I think "walkaround" implies), I think that this seems to be quite a good value purchase.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby hash77 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:20 am

But who in Australia has them instock? I've gone to photocontinental, Kayell, various camera houses, and has a look at Adorama etc and no body seems to have them. It's a concern as I'm heading away shortly on a trip and would need the versatility of said lens! Maybe a measure of it's usefulness and quality is proportional to its cost and availability in this case.
hash77

Postby Justin on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:00 pm

Here's a decent review of the 18-200

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... ndex.shtml
Justin

Postby Blackspear on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 pm

hash77 wrote:But who in Australia has them instock?

You could try Mark from http://www.camerasdirect.com.au I managed to get hold of 2 about 2 weeks ago through him, though he did say I was the luckiest guy on the planet, as they as rare as hens teeth and are on backorder worldwide.

I love the lens its images are sharp and the scope from wide to zoom make this a brilliant all-round lens; my 2 cents.

Cheers :D
Blackspear

Postby jberth1 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:46 pm

Justin wrote:Here's a decent review of the 18-200

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... ndex.shtml

Yes, that really is quite a detailed review. I miss my old 24-120 on my old film body. As a walk around lense that focal length was very handy, and while I wouldn't buy the cheaper of the lenses in this review just to get this focal length, the Nikon certainly appears the safer bet.

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby sco74 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:05 pm

I'm chasing one of these lenses at the moment. Getting mixed stories ranging from.. could be here tomorrow to getting enough stock to fill back orders by the end of the month to 3 months. Not holding out on getting one for an overseas trip (where I want to travel light) in a couple of weeks unfortunately.

Cheers

sco
sco74

Postby Dargan on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:11 pm

Feldy. Thanks for another 18-200 query. One question I am stuck on with regard to the 18-200, regardless of its availability, is whether a 12-24 and 24-120 combination would be a better choice. I know it is dearer as a choice but has anyone else faced this issue when looking at the 18-200? BTW Ken Rockwells support for this lens makes me think I just should go and buy it. Have you read his review, Feldy? I want something for travel in India, a lot of images from moving locations so VR would be a good feature.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby feldy on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:18 am

Hi there Dargan - yes, I had read it, but wasn't sure how to compare Rockwell with some of the other reviewers who gave it mixed reviews.

However, for me it also comes down to other factors like convenience and certainly for things like travel, I just can't be bothered carrying along several lenses, so I think i'm going to take the plunge.

Also, don't know much about VR, but if it's as good as it says it is, then sounds great!

A
feldy

Postby moggy on Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:44 am

As a walk around lens I think the 18-200 would be great and would make for a fairly lightweight kit. Also not having to swap lens with the attendant dust problems would be a plus. My $0.02. :wink:

8)
Bob.

I used to be indecisive..but now I'm not so sure.

Nikon D300 + Glass + Stuff
moggy

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:30 pm

Ok ...

For those who are interested in this lens, I can tell you that Poon as a few in stock at the moment, and these can be made available to us for immediate delivery.

The price is $1380 delivered to your door.

See the bargains page, fill in the forms, and you should have your lenses in a matter of days.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi guys - took the plunge & got one of these - haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but have to say i'm pretty impressed so far!

-A
feldy

Postby Geoff on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:17 pm

This is a value for money lens, I had the pleasure of using Justin's on the week end and enjoyed using it. As already said, a very versatile and good 'walk around lens'.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby DVEous on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:06 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby vikin70 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:23 pm

300-350 tops
vikin70

Postby feldy on Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:30 pm

Hi guys - just thought i'd give an update on this, now that i've had a chance to 'put this through it's paces' a little... once again, the thing that makes this such a great unit is its focal range; it really is brilliant being able to rely on one lens for just about any ocassion.

Have to say ii've become a bit of a convert to VR also; as part of publishing a coffee/cafe lifestyle mag. I have to take a lot of natural light pics [not a good look trying to take reasonably subtle shots within a cafe, when there's a flash going off all the time!]. VR means you get 80% of those low-light shots reasonably sharp & then can correct remaining under-exp. in P/shop (yes, i know it's not ideal - i used to be a perfectionist, too!).

The only thing that's surprised me a little was the effect it had on camera battery life; admittedly i'm only using an (original) D70, but the first time i went out on a reasonably long trip, i got caught out!.

Anyway, interested to know any other comments, but just re-iterating that i've been pretty favourably impressed.

-A
feldy

Postby Dargan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:22 am

Noticed your repost on this Feldy. I am getting one for the same reasons re travel although I think your cafe scenes would do better with a dedicated prime, (dream on 85 1.4 ) :roll: ) but if you are happy the VR must be doing its thing right. I purchased the 12-24 because I think it will complement the 18-200 when I finally do get it, again for the same reason to put in my travel kit. Post us some of those cafe scenes 8)
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Finno on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Dargan wrote:Feldy. Thanks for another 18-200 query. One question I am stuck on with regard to the 18-200, regardless of its availability, is whether a 12-24 and 24-120 combination would be a better choice. I know it is dearer as a choice but has anyone else faced this issue when looking at the 18-200?

I would suppose it comes down to what your priorities are for shooting. When I first joined this site I wanted all those lenses..now dammit!. Some of the best advice I got from these guys was to look at what sort of photography you do the most and buy the lens for that. If you need a zoom, get the 80-200 (+TC) or 80-400, 24-120 as a kit lens upgrade, or 12-24 for pano/wide angle stuff. I ended up getting a 105mm macro lens, and love it. Still want all of the above, but for the aquarium stuff I do, it has been great (and a awesome learning experience).

The other thing I bought was a SB800 flash. Its amazing the difference!
Finno

Postby feldy on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi Dargan - to be honest, most of the pics are nothing special from an 'arty' point 0f view - just shots i need to take for the coffee magazine... for instance, there will be some i've taken on our feature on Top cafes of Sydney in our Summer issue [Crema Magazine - out in about 10 days] but as i said they're more informational, than arty!!

-A
feldy

Postby Dargan on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:43 am

I have always been intrigued by the economic concept of 'option demand' eg; roads in the top end of WA are built with my taxes but I may never drive on them but I have the option to. The other way of looking at this is that if you have the lens you will always have the 'option' of using it. A similar argument in other posts was the evergreen discussion between purchasing an Epson 800 or 1800. Most people opt for the 1800 but may never or rarely print an A3 but they have the option. If you don't like this rationale then the 'collectibles' excuse can always be used. Eiher way 'lens lust' or 'NAS' is certainly rife in the forum. If you can take a purely rational approach to this 'hobby' than good luck to you. :D :D
PPOK
Dargan

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:04 am

Dargan wrote:If you can take a purely rational approach to this 'hobby' than good luck to you. :D :D

Heavens forfend!

Next thing you know, people will start suggesting that one shouldnlt upgrade their gear because they don't need to. Since when has need ever been a criteria?

:)

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby feldy on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:55 am

hi there D - this thread just took a significant leap up in the intellectual stakes... :)

However, for me the range [ie hardly ever have to change lens] and the VR were useful [so as not to attract attention in low-light situations] so would have to say - as i'm sure many have before - that this is not a 'studio' lens. I often end up doing a little 'sharpening' in p/shop - however it's a fantastic utility lens.

...now don't take the discussion up another level here, or next thing we'll be talking quantum physics, or the Black-Scholles theory of options pricing... ahh

-A :shock:
feldy

Return to Sydney