HK Supplies

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

HK Supplies

Postby Thommo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi guys,

Just after some information on HKsupplies, more specifically your luck with GST and Customs.

Within the next month i am looking at buying a 28-70 either through ebay or hksupplies. At the moment it looks like it will be through HKsupplies ebay store.

I have emailed HK both from the website and ebay and had no answer to my question so i was wondering if any members here could help me.

Has anyone ordered equiptment worth more than $1000AUD and if so did you get charged GST by customs. I know that you are supposed to on any photographic equiptment over $1000AUD but i was wondering if customs always charges the GST

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Thommo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Postby myarhidia on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi James,
HK suppliers is Poon, a member here.

http://www.dslrusers.com/profile.php?mo ... file&u=224
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby Glen on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Thommo, I have no knowledge of what you talk about, but be aware some of our members work for customs (two I know of) and the last s/h lens which came to my place from HKSupplies, the Customs lady quoted to me from this website which she was online to as we spoke on the phone.

I would suggest if you are serious about this course of action (which I advise against, customs confirm prices from many sources) you ask for PMs.

Poon (HKsupplies owner) is also a member here, why don't you PM him?
Last edited by Glen on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen

Postby avkomp on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:13 pm

I have heard some going each way.

be advised that it is liable for gst over 1000.
sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
I have heard that some shipping companies
ups?
always charge so you need to chose wisely.
maybe someone can refresh our memories as to companies to avoid.

Steve
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:18 pm

Poon is very helpful and knowledegable and usually quite prompt in responding to emails sent to him.

If you're ordering goods from OS and the value, including shipping, will exceed Au$1000, always budget for the payment of GST upon importation. If you are fortunate enough to not get GST assessed, so much the better for you, but this is always in the hands of the relevant officials, and any any other expectations on your part would be imprudent.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Thommo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:18 pm

thanks for the replies guys,

i wasnt asking for anything dodgy, you just read alot (on ebay) of no gst guarantees.
Thommo

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Thommo wrote:thanks for the replies guys,

i wasnt asking for anything dodgy, you just read alot (on ebay) of no gst guarantees.

Which is exactly as it should be. Anybody suggesting otherwise ....

Steve, yes, UPS are best avoided, if at all possible.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby petermmc on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:58 pm

Thommo,

A few thoughts on the purchase of a 28-70.

I would presume you will be charged 10% for GST on whatever price you purchase it for from HK add shipping and that is a realistic price. If you manage to avoid 10% that is a bonus.

When you add 10% and shipping, you may wish to consider other 'grey' possibilities such as Digital Discount Photos in Nth Sydney who have reduce their price on this lens to $2099 which is the same price as I have seen it sell for second hand in Australia.

I have purchased a few bits from them over the past year and have been very happy with lenses and service. (70-200VR, 12-24, 50 1.4 and a few other bits and pieces). Their service is very quick. The man who runs the store owns the store.

Just a few thoughts as this is a big ticket item.

Kind regards

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Thommo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:09 pm

petermmc wrote:Thommo,

A few thoughts on the purchase of a 28-70.

I would presume you will be charged 10% for GST on whatever price you purchase it for from HK add shipping and that is a realistic price. If you manage to avoid 10% that is a bonus.

When you add 10% and shipping, you may wish to consider other 'grey' possibilities such as Digital Discount Photos in Nth Sydney who have reduce their price on this lens to $2099 which is the same price as I have seen it sell for second hand in Australia.

I have purchased a few bits from them over the past year and have been very happy with lenses and service. (70-200VR, 12-24, 50 1.4 and a few other bits and pieces). Their service is very quick. The man who runs the store owns the store.

Just a few thoughts as this is a big ticket item.

Kind regards

Peter Mc

Thanks for the advice Peter, I have been looking at DDphoto as well as hksupplies and digitalrev but at the moment HKsupplies seems to be the best option based on price and reputation. I have however heard only good things about ddphoto and as i havent made up my mind as to where i am going to buy the lens from it is quite possible i will buy from within australia just for the speediness.

I still have a month or so to figure my stuff out anyway. That and I am still waiting on my final group certificate, which will be paying for most of the lens.
Thommo

Postby petermmc on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:24 pm

Thommo,

Its probably woth considering the 17-55 as well. Both are big buggers but the 28-70 is bigger. I have found that some lenses are not well balanced on the D70 because it is quite light. The 28-70 is even referred to as a 'beast' by some prominent photographers which is nothing to do with its supurb quality. In short, go into a photo shop (if you haven't already and put one on a D70 and see how it feels) If it works for you then go ahead.
Its probably the kind of lens you will leave on your camera most of the time so I think it should feel right. I, for example, find the VR 70-200 a bit heavy for the D70. One is metal and the other is plastic. Still works OK but I am sure it will feel better on my D200 when I get around to affording one. That's the rub...get expensive lenses that influence you to buy more expensive cameras :) :) :D

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:26 pm

Thommo wrote:i will buy from within australia just for the speediness.

HK supplies are often able to deliver much more quickly than local suppliers are. My experience includes ording a lens on a Sanday evening, and having it in my hands at lunchtime on the following Wednesday.

That you have time before ordering is good, though.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Thommo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:46 pm

petermmc wrote:Thommo,

Its probably woth considering the 17-55 as well. Both are big buggers but the 28-70 is bigger. I have found that some lenses are not well balanced on the D70 because it is quite light. The 28-70 is even referred to as a 'beast' by some prominent photographers which is nothing to do with its supurb quality. In short, go into a photo shop (if you haven't already and put one on a D70 and see how it feels) If it works for you then go ahead.
Its probably the kind of lens you will leave on your camera most of the time so I think it should feel right. I, for example, find the VR 70-200 a bit heavy for the D70. One is metal and the other is plastic. Still works OK but I am sure it will feel better on my D200 when I get around to affording one. That's the rub...get expensive lenses that influence you to buy more expensive cameras :) :) :D

Peter Mc

Unfortunatly the shops in canberra do not have the 28-70, i had a play with im pretty sure the 17-55 in a store (was either the 17-55 or 17-35) and found it big (which i like) but not really too heavy, however i am hoping to find a 28-70 to play with before i buy. and i have even considered trying to bargain teds or flecters down to within say 200 of hk prices and buying on the spot.

The main reason for the 28-70 is that bit of extra reach, i find i seem to shoot between about 30mm and 70mm when covering bands. and i would prefer to have a lens that is too long compared to too short in these sort of conditions
Thommo

Postby anubis on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Bought from all three suppliers mentioned above.... the only one I have had problems with is Digital-Rev. After a fruitless argument over addresses they managed to lose my parcel using UPS I think.... go figure :roll:

They did refund full amount thorugh (including shipping).

As for DDPhotos excellent service. Bought a D200 off them found banding was given option of replacement or refund ---> took a replacement. Stock is Japanese stock. Also bought a 17-55 off them no problems with the lens or service.

HKSupplies bought a 50 1.4 24-120 VR and my D70 off them no problems at all. Poon also provides excellent service !! - just make sure the lens is in stock before ordering :)
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby MHD on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:00 pm

IMHO the 28-70 is a nice unit... it is a VERY solid lens...

If I could have one lens and one lens only this would be it
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Thommo on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:13 pm

MHD wrote:IMHO the 28-70 is a nice unit... it is a VERY solid lens...

If I could have one lens and one lens only this would be it

thats my thinking. next up after the 28-70 is 70-200vr, then any other lens i bought would effectivly be for a niche..
Thommo

Postby petermmc on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:22 pm

[quote=

thats my thinking. next up after the 28-70 is 70-200vr, then any other lens i bought would effectivly be for a niche..[/quote]

Both are very good for the bicepts.

I am sure it has been discussed but I would be interested in knowing how well HK handles problems with lenses and cameras as I may also may seriously consider them next time around. I assume one would package it up and send it back to them within the warranty period. This is always a big part of my buying decision...ie how quickly can I get if fixed if it is broken and how simple is the process.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 pm

Peter,

For lenses, I believe that Maxwell will honour the international warranty, so this does not become an issue.

For bodies, it's a bit different, but if you buy one of the third party extended warranties, I believe that they will handle any issues that occur. Therefore, if the cost of the body from HK, plus the cost of the extended warranty, is still significantly lower than your local cost of a Maxwell sourced body, I suspect that you may still be in a significantly better postion purchasing OS than were you to purchase that locally sourced unit.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby petermmc on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:41 pm

Thanks Gary

That's a good response. I may well have to check their prices as I too am thinking of the D200 and I always get extended warranties on anything I buy...and I keep them in a filing cabinet so I can actually find them when needed.

Do you know why HK can provide an Int Warranty whereas say and importer like DDP has its own 12m warranty? Why wouldn't a
DDP kind of importer have int warranties as well?

Peter Mc PS this is arguably still part of the same thread dealing with HK.
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:48 pm

Peter,

I can't really answer that question, certainly not with any degree of authority.

I can however suggest that an answer might lie in the fact that in dealing directly with HK you're dealing with an entity based in HK, but in dealing with DD, you're dealing with an overseas entity with a locally established agent/arm/representative, who, thorugh that local arm, has established either an arrangement with a local facility, or perhaps they to, utilise something like an extended warranty plan, which is really just an insurance arrangement.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby obzelite on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:44 am

gstark wrote:

Which is exactly as it should be. Anybody suggesting otherwise ....

Steve, yes, UPS are best avoided, if at all possible.

dhl are bad as well, we have actually stopped using them at work because everything gets charged. I actually wonder sometimes if they are using it to make some extra cash because we have used other couriers and its pretty random as to getting hit with duty and gst or not, but dhl didnt miss once when we used them.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby gstark on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:04 am

obzelite wrote:I actually wonder sometimes if they are using it to make some extra cash

The cynical side of me wants to say yes, this is the case.

So does the rest of me. Go figure. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:40 am

Lemme add my two cents regarding ebay sellers offering no GST guarantees. They usually factor in the cost of reimbursing the import GST component into their selling price. ie. you'll be paying more, for the reassurance that the price you pay is the final price to your door. The seller in turn assumes the gamble of whether you get charged GST. If you don't, they win. If you do, you get reimbursed whatever GST you were charged - and they've still made a profit. The rest of the time, you as the buyer are assuming this gamble of whether you will get slugged with GST (it's wise to assume so; and be pleasantly surprised if you don't).

Also, if you email HKSupplies directly at sales@hksupplies.com, and don't mention ebay, you will always get a better price quote than if you made enquiries via ebay. Due to the fact that transactions through ebay incurs various fees that you the end user pays for.

I, and I'm sure many other forum members, are willing to standby the reputation of HKSupplies, and any perceived extra protection you may think you get by buying through ebay will cost you extra. So do away with Paypal, ebay and the other middlemen and order directly through HKSupplies. Mr Poon will know to send via HK Express Post and not via the one of the courier companies if your order is small, to further swing the GST factor in your favour (altho a 28-70 is not small by any means).

For purposes of full disclosure, I guess I should mention, if you didn't already know, that I worked at HKSupplies for a period of time last year.
Onyx

Postby chet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:34 pm

Just searched for HKSupplies, and he has no items for sale on ebay. Is he still selling directly/thru this site?
chet

Postby Justin on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:41 pm

I saw HK supplies stuff on ebay today - the icon he uses has hk supplies - here's one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D80-10-2M- ... dZViewItem
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:03 pm

I saw plenty of stuff on his eBay store last Friday, and I'm actually chatting with Poon at this very moment.

And yes, the goods that you can buy through our bargains section come directly from Poon. 5 D80s sold today (not through here). 18 due in from Nikon later this week
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:44 pm

thanks guys. I'm actually waiting for a reply from Poon in regards to a D80 price. You wouldn't be able to give it out here would you?
chet

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:59 pm

Poon's price will be different, but $1350, delivered is Poon's price through here.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:01 pm

sorry? :oops:

$150 less than ebay?
Last edited by chet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chet

Postby Glen on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:04 pm

Chet, it always pays to check around :wink: That is the price through here
Glen

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 pm

chet wrote:sorry? $150 less than ebay?

Why not?

Poon is a friend of ours, and a strong supporter of this forum, so he gives us something special.

Prices through here are structured to ensure that members get the best possible value. Other places view camera sales as a source of income, and therefore they need to impose a significant margin to ensure their income.

We don't.

And Poon's service is legendary.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:19 pm

whoops, I think I read that incorrectly the first time. I swear I saw "$150", not "$1350".

Anyway, $1350 is an excellent price (it appears to be $1410 once you include delivery, on his ebay store), and something like $1650 at Teds!
chet

Postby gstark on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:18 am

What you're seeing is very typical of the pricing regime in these parts.

Remember though the following important points :

1: You need to factor into your calculations the possibility that upon importation you may be charged GST. That is beyond our control, and you'll only know if you get hit for this when and if it happens. We've not seen anyone hit with the charge for months, but there's no guarantees of this.

2: The camera from Poon comes with an international warranty, which Maxwell's, the local importer, are loathe to honour. If you're buying HK stick, the purchase of an aftermarket warranty might be a good investment.

With those points for purchasers to consider, you then need to weigh up the cost of a locally sourced product, and see if the price difference represents enough of a saving to you. Most people seem to think it does, but it's a judgement call that only you can make, on your own behalf.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:30 am

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Just received my next toy, being for portaiture...

3 days door to door!!!!
Oz_Beachside

Postby Laurie on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:43 am

just out of curiosity if i buy an SB800 second hand can i buy a warranty that will cover it? likewise any nikon product?
Laurie

Return to Trader Opinions