A bit more than a week

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A bit more than a week

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:50 am

And our second anniversary will be upon us. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun? I wonder just how many shutter activations have occurred, purely from our members, in the time since we started here?

Here's the current status for the AW activites. Emails for the various activities will be sent to members either late this week or very early next week.

1: Dinner on Friday August 4 at the HONG KONG Noodle Cuisine, 11 Amy Street Campsie. One or two places have become available due to a cancellation. 6:30 pm for 7:00 pm

2: Dinner on Saturday night, August 5, at Il Golosso 104 Ramsay St Haberfield. $30 per person and no corkage charge. Almost fully booked 6:30 pm for 7:00 pm

3: Photoshop workshop - Saturday morning, August 5, 9 am.

4: Printer profiling workshop - Saturday morning, 11 am, following photoshop workshop.

5: Minimeet, The Haven Amphitheatre, Castlecrag, Saturday morning, August 5, 10:00 am. Please see http://www.thehaven.com.au/index.php and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlecrag ... outh_Wales

6: Sydney Harbour Ferry hop and photoshoot. Circular Quay, Saturday morning, August 5, Please note the changed start time: 8:30 am.

7: Sunday Brunch, Sunday morning, August 6, 10 am. This is being held at Little Manly, and will take the form of a picnic/bbq/family day. Please review here and here. Geoff has also taken some images of the venue; these are here.

If you've not yet booked for the events that you wish to attend, please now visit this page quickly to book your attendance.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: A bit more than a week

Postby Steffen on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:16 am

gstark wrote:5: Minimeet, The Haven Amphitheatre, Castlecrag, Saturday morning, August 5, 10:00 am. Please see http://www.thehaven.com.au/index.php and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlecrag ... outh_Wales

Does anyone happen to have a Google Earth placemark for the amphitheatre?

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Glen on Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:51 am

Steffen would an address for a street directory help?

I have already looked from Google Earth, couldn't see it, but if you look at the website you can see why, it is surrounded by large trees. Obviously a cunning plan to thwart terrorism and unauthorised photography from the sky :wink:
Glen

Postby firsty on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 am

I found this old map which shows an "open air theater" above the "D" in middle harbour

http://www.teachingheritage.nsw.edu.au/b_expressing/images/b1_castlecrag_150.gif

and the small street to the left is called "The Barricade"

hope that helps people find it
firsty

Postby gstark on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:59 pm

Keith,

That's perfect
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Steffen on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:08 pm

firsty wrote:I found this old map which shows an "open air theater" above the "D" in middle harbour

http://www.teachingheritage.nsw.edu.au/b_expressing/images/b1_castlecrag_150.gif

and the small street to the left is called "The Barricade"

hope that helps people find it

Thanks Keith, could this be it, then?

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<Document>
        <name>Castlecrag_Amphitheatre.kmz</name>
        <Placemark>
                <name>Castlecrag Amphitheatre?</name>
                <LookAt>
                        <longitude>151.222898188805</longitude>
                        <latitude>-33.80205709842211</latitude>
                        <altitude>0</altitude>
                        <range>380.9922922516113</range>
                        <tilt>1.481484013258387e-10</tilt>
                        <heading>-0.08738715903268367</heading>
                </LookAt>
                <styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317</styleUrl>
                <Point>
                        <coordinates>151.222928911405,-33.80197405636497,0</coordinates>
                </Point>
        </Placemark>
</Document>
</kml>

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better way of embedding a Google Earth placemark. Just cut&paste into a kml file...

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Geoff on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:43 pm

For anyone wanting extra information or those that haven't received my original email, feel free to enquire about the Little Manly Point Family Day/Picnic/photoshoot by pm'ing me :)

Should be a great day :)
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:11 am

Keith
That's an aerial etching. They were very fast in those days! :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Matt. K wrote:Keith
That's an aerial etching. They were very fast in those days! :D

I mentioned this map to Lindy over breakfast this morning. "Looks like an architecural map of the area" I said, and continued "Just the area south of Endinburgh Road".

"Something like this?" She enquires, and pulls out the original ducument from which this was, at some point, scanned!

Her uncle was WBG's secretary, and this map was actually drawn by WBG's wife, Marion. Lindy's copy was amongst her uncle's possessions when he passed on, and is the only known copy of this map.

For those coming to The Haven on Saturday morning, I now have the walking map and a bit more info which will be posted later this week, but to give everyone a bit more of an idea of the significance of The Haven, Castlecrag as a suburb, and their place in Sydney's history ...

Max Dupain's house is two doors from the Haven. It's not noted on the walk; this is insider information.

His son, Rex, is also a photographer, and still lives in the area.

Another well known Sydney artchitect, Alex Popov, also lives in Castlecrag. You'll note his name against some of the houses in the Castlecrag walk, Alex married Joern Utzon's - yes, that Utzon - daughter.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:41 pm

gstark wrote:"Something like this?" She enquires, and pulls out the original ducument from which this was, at some point, scanned!

Her uncle was WBG's secretary, and this map was actually drawn by WBG's wife, Marion. Lindy's copy was amongst her uncle's possessions when he passed on, and is the only known copy of this map.

Holy crap! :shock: Awesome story!
MCWB

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:00 pm

Trent,

Isn't it just!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:36 pm

6 degrees of separation 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Glen on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 am

Gary, that is quite an amazing set of circumstances
Glen

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:36 am

Chris,

I think 4?

Glen, yes.

Lindy has emailed me a couple more useful links

The Castecrag Progress Association has the walking map that many will find useful on the day. Select the Maps option from the menu.

And The Walter Burley Griffin Society also has much that people may find to be of value.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Announcements