Tin Cheung Cameras

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tin Cheung Cameras

Postby DJXtreme on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone had had any experiences (good or bad) with Tin Cheung Cameras (http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk). They seem to have a faily diverse range of lenses and other equipment at pretty good prices.

Cheers,

Will
DJXtreme

Postby gstark on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Will,

No experience with them, but why?

Why would you not go with HK Supplies?

We have nothing but excellent experiences with HKS, and cannot recommened them highly enough.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Dug on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:12 pm

gstark wrote:Will,

No experience with them, but why?

Why would you not go with HK Supplies?

We have nothing but excellent experiences with HKS, and cannot recommened them highly enough.

Never used either but would back HK supplies 100% :D

Just on reputation!!!!!

(this has not been a paid announcement)
Way to much photography gear is never enough!
Dug

Postby DJXtreme on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks guys. HK Supplies seems to have earnt themselves an awesome reputation around here and I'll certainly consider them. At the moment though I'm just weighing up all my options. List price on some items seems a bit lower at TC Cameras, of course this means nothing if they've got a bad rep.

Tin Cheung's postage seems exorbitant but I'd probably purchase from their physical location (I'm lucky enough to have a mum who travels to Hong Kong fairly regularly) which negates postage and also allows for in store bargaining.
DJXtreme

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:45 pm

HK supplies all the way. The owner...Mr Poon comes to our anniversary dinners he's so popular. And his service is 100 percent. Just perfect.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Geoff on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:26 pm

Yep well said Matt - we love our Poon :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby gstark on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:13 pm

DJXtreme wrote:Thanks guys. HK Supplies seems to have earnt themselves an awesome reputation around here and I'll certainly consider them. At the moment though I'm just weighing up all my options. List price on some items seems a bit lower at TC Cameras,

A bit?

Hardly worthwhile if there's any sort of a problem furher down the track. And in fact, unless there's a serious discrepancy between the local price and the HK price, you'll be better off buying locally.

And yes, you're quite correct: HKS has indeed earned their reputation. Through repeated transactions, and honest and reliable dealing.

Tin Cheung's postage seems exorbitant but I'd probably purchase from their physical location

If there is one.

Often, HKS pricing includes shipping to your door. I'e bought goods and had them in my hands more quickly, and for less, than any local purchase of those same items might have been.

So yes, investigate others, but consider the issues (and their cost) if you end up with problems further down the track.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:26 pm

gstark wrote:If there is one.

They have a shop in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Will, if your mum goes to HK fairly often check out Wing Shing Photographics in Mong Kok, they have a good reputation and pricing is great. It might also be worth seeing what price HKSupplies can do for you if you're picking it up in HK. :)
MCWB

Return to Trader Opinions