Image posting

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Image posting

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:16 am

Just a gentle reminder for y'all, and if you're of the opinion that this might not apply to you, then think again: it most likely does. :)

The Image Critiques and Reviews section here is for Image Critiques and reviews. It is not a gallery section, and anyone who belives that it's to be used as a form of gallery is mistaken.

The concept is that you may post a few images - perhaps up to three or four - upon which you would like to have your techniques, posing, composition, whatever, examined and critiqued.

Perhaps you're experimenting with a new technique, or demonstrating a technique to the rest of us. That's fine too: posting what is necessary to demonstrate the new technique is perfectly acceptable too.

But showing us your day's work at x is more appropriately placed in your own personal gallery. By all means, share your three or four finest images from that session here, for critique. But no more than those three or four. Anything more than that is really little more than ego stroking, and that is not what this section is about.

By all means, place a link in your post so that those who may be further interested can follow that link to see the rest of your efforts. But no more than three or four images in your posting.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby macka on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:25 pm

If I may add my two cents on this, while there may be the occaisional thread where people are simply showing off and aren't actually posting for the purpose of having their images critiqued, I think this is rare, and the majority of people who post multiple images are simply enjoying sharing their work with like-minded people and genuinely wish to hear the thoughts of others on their photos.

Offering a link to a gallery is a fair enough suggestion in some cases, particularly if a person has many shots of the same subject, but I wouldn't like to see people discouraged from sharing images, as seeing the images other people produce is one of the greatest pleasures of visitng this site.

Posting multiple images may make it less likely that people will critique all of them, but generally people pick out which images they like from a set and say why/offer suggestions on these.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:32 pm

macka wrote:Posting multiple images may make it less likely that people will critique all of them, but generally people pick out which images they like from a set and say why/offer suggestions on these.

Exactly.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanx for your input.

macka wrote:I wouldn't like to see people discouraged from sharing images, as seeing the images other people produce is one of the greatest pleasures of visitng this site.

And I'm not wanting ro discourage the posting of images. I'm simply wanting to discourage the excessive posting of images.

Posting multiple images may make it less likely that people will critique all of them,

I think that it makes it less likely that people will critique any of them.

And whether others, or the posters themselves, agree or disagree that this is an ego thing isn't really the point. The real issue is that you can and should feel proud to post some examples of what you've been up to. Hence you choose the very best, or perhaps those images where you think others may be able to assist in helping you improve your technique in some way.

I find it very difficult to accept that one needs to post 8 or 10 images, here, for that purpose.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby blacknstormy on Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Fair enough
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Killakoala on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:10 pm

Also helps those of us with very slow connections. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby TonyH on Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Gary,

I agree with most of what you are saying. For me the boredom factor creeps in where we're getting the same thing with slight variations.

I'm always looking to learn new ideas and techniques relating to photography, having 3 or 4 of the same basic image or style doesn't really help.

Having said that I don't think it's good to discourage the frequent posters to the point where they reluctantly post shots.

This is a terrific format and one of the best aspects is the fact that well informed people are able to critique other well seasoned photographers without breaking egos..... :D (or maybe I'm going overboard with that one :twisted: )

Tony
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Tony,

TonyH wrote:having 3 or 4 of the same basic image or style doesn't really help.

And that's a large part of it, too.

If you're showing something of interest - like a particular technique - then I'm not going to come down on you because you need 7 or 8 images to illustrate your point.

But how many shots of, say, the one event, or the one activity, is an appropriate number to show, within the context of seeking a critique?

My point is that if you're wanting to show the activity you partook in, then the more appropriate location for the detail photos of that activity will be somewhere within your own galleries.

By all means, share a few here, asking for critique or suggestions for how a particular outcome may have been better achieved.

And if there were a couple of techniques with which problems were experienced - colour balance, lighting, to name a couple, then perhaps separate threads may even be in order.

This is a terrific format and one of the best aspects is the fact that well informed people are able to critique other well seasoned photographers without breaking egos.....

And with respect, I'm not sure how this guideline would change any of this: most people here already comply with what I'm saying, and for them, this is really a non-issue.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby pharmer on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:16 pm

Perhaps a separate gallery area for "show off" stuff?

Works for NikonCafe :)

Just a thought

:)

Woo! - 200 posts! -what do I get Gary?
Last edited by pharmer on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pharmer

Postby blacknstormy on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 pm

LOL - I don't ever have anything to show off !!!!
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:37 pm

pharmer wrote:Perhaps a separate gallery area for "show off" stuff?

Works for NikonCafe :)

A couple of points.

We discourage "showing off" here. No pissing contests, no flaming .... none of that sort of shit. That's how and why the critiques become more valuable, in that you know, understand and appreciate that we're discussing the image, and not the person who made it.

And we're not "NikonCafe". :)

Woo! - 200 posts! -what do I get Gary?

I'll buy you a cappuccino. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby nito on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:07 pm

Guilty as charged.

Less is more.

:D
nito

Postby spada on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:15 pm

Read and agree, that is fair enough.

regards
spada
spada

Postby avkomp on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:42 pm

I dont take enough shots to be guilty of this,

also us old blokes arent any good in pissing contests due to weakened prostates so I should have no problems keeping within these guidelines.

:lol:

steve
check out my image gallery @
http://photography.avkomp.com/gallery3
avkomp

Postby johndec on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:54 pm

Fair enough Gary, however the "Imagine Review & Critique" section will never be purely for helpful advice regarding problem images (not that you suggested or specified that it should be), there will always be a proportion of "show off" images, that's only human nature. :lol: After all if only crap images were posted, where would that leave POTW!!
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby obzelite on Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:53 am

I agree with the multiple shots request, 3 or more is probably not needed, but I don’t think people should be discouraged from posting a shot they feel is good.
I don’t really need to post my crap shots here and ask why they are crap, I’m pretty sure I can pick my own. I just post the shots I feel are good enough to warrant viewing and to see if others like them. It’s a nice ego boost when they do, but you’re equally grounded when suggestions are made; and I like people to critique my shots, both positive and negative.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby mudder on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 am

I agree that posting a largish number (greater than 3-4 maybe?) will result in less likelyhood of real critique and value from the post.

I also enjoy just seeing the terrific work posted by others that I can hopefully learn by... Strewth I'm still a newbie when it comes to any of the compositional or creative aspects, I think that's where I struggle... I always really appreciate and value any feedback and advice on images from members as that's how I learn...

Can certainly understand and agree where there's many images all of a similar style...

Also, as a courtesy to our dial-up friends, maybe we should always try to post small images that link to larger ones? (Thanks Stubbsy for that sticky, very handy mate!)
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby elffinarts on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:31 pm

mudder wrote:Also, as a courtesy to our dial-up friends, maybe we should always try to post small images that link to larger ones? (Thanks Stubbsy for that sticky, very handy mate!)

aye, as a courtesy to those on dial up and on crappy slow as hell work pc's that should only be opening small pics unless really necessary. (it's only a PII 300 with 60Mb ram. :oops: ) Also that co-workers like to look over my shoulder and big pics in the office gain a lot of attention. LOL
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Manta on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:43 pm

Definitely agree with you on this one Gary and I think you've worded your request very diplomatically.

As I understand it, the door is still open for some form of showcase, as Gary pointed out, through the posting of those images one considers their best from the day, shoot, event, whatever. There will also be shots of a more 'editorial' or humourous slant that have universal forum appeal, eg shots from interesting mini-meets, curious public observations, etc.

I think having a ballpark limit of 3-4 shots in the one thread is more than adequate and, if not sufficient to demonstrate a technique or pad out a request for assistance, there's always the opportunity to start another thread.

I agree that, by far, the majority of members already judge their own work and only submit a few 'keepers' for our enjoyment and education or, alternatively, some shockers for which they need advice.

POTW will definitely survive - most have come from single image posts anyway!!
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby dooda on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:47 am

If you wanted to discourage people from posting, one possible solution would be to pull the image reviews and critiques section. Since you haven't done that, I can only assume that you're still encouraging the posting of images, but that it's done without total reckless abandon. It doesn't seem like there is any issue with particular agenda in posting images.

I generally leave threads alone that post too many pictures anyway.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:04 am

manta wrote:As I understand it, the door is still open for some form of showcase, as Gary pointed out, through the posting of those images one considers their best from the day, shoot, event, whatever

Simon,

You've nailed it.

dooda wrote:If you wanted to discourage people from posting, one
possible solution would be to pull the image reviews and critiques section. Since you haven't done that, I can only assume that you're still encouraging the posting of images, but that it's done without total reckless abandon.

Dave,

Exactly. Posting is encouraged, but yes, show a little restraint, judgement, and commonsense. There is no difficulty involved in including a link to your site where all of your images are on display, and those who are so inclined may and will follow that link.

I generally leave threads alone that post too many pictures anyway.

Which is exactly my point: it's not just you that takes that course of action (I do too, and I know lots of others do likewise) and by putting too many images in your posts, you're actually driving away a lot of people who might otherwise be enjoying your work.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Frankenstein on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:49 am

Damn...I was just about to post my 20-image series "Highlights of my toolshed" :(

Seriously, Gary's points are all valid and I totally agree about having a reasonable limit of images per post. I also turn off quite quickly when there are multiple images in a post (unless they are exceptionally good), and having a link to a gallery is certainly the best option to showcase the rest of the photographer's work.

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby spada on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:16 am

Hi
If there weren't any scrap image, then we would not have any experience shooter :? , the point is limited number of images in one post to help loading a page quicker.

regards
spada
spada

Postby DVEous on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:09 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby Andyt on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:00 am

Just a suggestion / prompt, when I see a pic that gets my attention (or not) I am interested in knowing what lense & settings was used.

Why?, because then I have an idea of what is capable of being achieved with what gears. And, if I have that lense ideas and interest form (inspiration?) and then I try my own variations.

I guess one thing I am trying to say is that it could not always be the pic being submitted for critique but the technique & gear used to achieve the pic as well.
Andyt

Postby Ree on Thu May 04, 2006 12:39 pm

Coming from the new-bee side of things, (new to DSLR or SLR).
I have found the C & C section great in the few months that I have being coming to this site I have improved my photos 10 fold, and that is just from reading other comments on others photos (and from the few I have posted).

I have to agree with Gary, some (and only some thou) the photos are only posted to get "wow thats great" & "I wish I could get a shot one like that" comments.

But I do agree with the comment from Johndec in regards to POTW.

Saying this I have a kinda fast connection 512/512 and even I get bored somethimes waiting. :shock:
Cheers REE :shock:

"If you have time to spare ... go by AIR!"
Ree

Return to Announcements