Printing Paper for pics

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Printing Paper for pics

Postby BBJ on Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:12 am

Hi All, not sure if anyone uses this site or have seen it but here is a link to it, has lot of different papers for those who do home printing.
http://www.scannerplace.com.au/ilford.htm
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:16 am

AIM tend to be quite a decent source for high end printers and scanners.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby ru32day on Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:14 am

I have tried the Ilford Galerie - It is absolutely gorgeous paper. You do, however, have to follow the directions carefully. Without changing the printer settings on my Epson Stylus Photo printer, some blacks had a shiny brassy look to them, esp when viewed side on (I was printing black swans at the time, so it was very noticeable). If directions are followed (have to change the curves) a fine result can be had.
ru32day

Postby Raydar on Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:59 am

When it comes to print paper you can’t go past Ilford.
Back in my old B&W printing days I used Ilford + a few other brands but always came back to the Ilford papers 8)

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby robw25 on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:09 am

ru32day wrote:I have tried the Ilford Galerie - It is absolutely gorgeous paper. You do, however, have to follow the directions carefully. Without changing the printer settings on my Epson Stylus Photo printer, some blacks had a shiny brassy look to them, esp when viewed side on (I was printing black swans at the time, so it was very noticeable). If directions are followed (have to change the curves) a fine result can be had.

i have a epson 1290s and would like to try the pearl paper but only use epson paper because of, like ru32day said i get that brassy look in my blacks, what curves adjustments did you make ?

cheers rob
robw25

Postby AlistairF on Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:21 am

I've been using Ilforg Galerie Smooth Pearl with a custom ICC profile on both my Epson 200P and R800. The results and color accuracy are fantastic... I'm really interested in the trying new Ilford High Gloss Media that is meant to have the look of Cibachrome.

Is anyone else using custom ICC profiles for printing?

Alistair
AlistairF

Postby meicw on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:34 am

I too have just starting using Ilford's Pearl Paper on my Canon i9950. I use the printer profiles from the Ilford site. I am very impressed with the results. I am considering trying some of their other finishes. Anyone have an opinion as to how Ilford's Glossy compares to Canon's Photo Paper Pro High Gloss?

Regards
Meic
meicw

Postby ru32day on Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:43 pm

like ru32day said i get that brassy look in my blacks, what curves adjustments did you make ?

Sorry, it was levels.

Open image in Photoshop.
Select > All
Image > Adjustments > Levels
In dialog box, change minimum output value from 0 to 10.

Fixed my brassies. Hope it works for you too
ru32day

Return to Trader Opinions