Site Restructure

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Site Restructure

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:35 pm

I don't anticipate any errors or issues, but in case you encounter something and you're not sure what's happening I'll just fill you in...

We're doing a little bit of a site restructure at the moment to make it easier to find things and to provide members with better defined places to post.

By the time I'm done, it should look a bit cleaner (maybe) and will be easier for us to moderate and easier for ya'll to put your posts in the right place to begin with.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby stubbsy on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:40 pm

Not much to do here ATM anyways. Pixspot is useless and SmugMug is down for some server maintenance. Maybe I'll have an early night!
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:43 pm

Come Stubbsy, plenty of PP you could be doing don't go to bed yet. And then when Smug Smug comes back we'll have plenty of images to check out.
Alpha_7

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:44 pm

In fact, I might even go through the horrible Important Links section and update that sticky thread.

And pull Pixspot from it. 8)
Nnnnsic

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:In fact, I might even go through the horrible Important Links section and update that sticky thread.

And pull Pixspot from it. 8)

Awesome idea, (almost felt like making a Pixspot Macro...) :) But I'm not that lazy... :shock:
Alpha_7

Postby leek on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:53 pm

So will part of this site restructure reintroduce the RSS facility???????? :lol:

I've been missing it... ;-) :lol:
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:56 pm

Indeed it should.

I just have to remember where I put it... :lol:
Nnnnsic

Postby leek on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Indeed it should.

I just have to remember where I put it... :lol:

Yay!!!
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Onyx on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:09 pm

Can you unban me from the .net domain yet? I promise not to suck the CPU resources. I currently can't see the front page's images (eg. POTW, merchandise images).
Onyx

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:12 pm

Alas, that's not my area. Wait until Dad wakes up. :)
Nnnnsic

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:15 pm

Onyx wrote:Can you unban me from the .net domain yet? I promise not to suck the CPU resources. I currently can't see the front page's images (eg. POTW, merchandise images).

I've suffered the same fate, but it doesn't bother me too much, although POTW would be nice, I think I've seen the merchadise enough not to need to see it every time I view the front page.
Alpha_7

Postby MCWB on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:19 pm

Onyx wrote:Can you unban me from the .net domain yet? I promise not to suck the CPU resources. I currently can't see the front page's images (eg. POTW, merchandise images).

Hmm strange. I can see them from .com?
MCWB

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 pm

MCWB wrote:

Hmm strange. I can see them from .com?

Well I actually checked and my laptop is fine, but my desktop machine can't see the images.. Bizarre but my heads to sore to wrap itself around that one tonight. :)
Alpha_7

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:38 pm

I'll see if I can handle that tomorrow.

Let me get this restructure underway, eh?
Nnnnsic

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:40 pm

Hehe, doesn't bother me Leigh so please proceed, just thought I'd chime in and mention I was getting some variable responses from the .com as well.

Good Luck Mate, hope it works smoothly.
Alpha_7

Postby Onyx on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:38 am

Wow, good work Leigh. I hadn't really noticed it at first, it was subtle but effective. The first thing that struck me was that you trawled through the entire important links forum and summarised it. What a handy resource that would be if people took the time to read through it. I reckon it might even make the forum redundant as everything that could be asked could be answered from links in there. ;)

Also splitting the Nikon specific stuff - that's heaps choice, bro!
Onyx

Postby MattC on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:01 am

Okay, now I am confused. :? I haven't spent a lot of time around here lately and I have lost track of whats what. Which is the current site .net or .com... or are they the same thing? To add to the confusion there is .net and .com in the title area of the index page.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby sheepie on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 am

MattC wrote:Which is the current site .net or .com... or are they the same thing? To add to the confusion there is .net and .com in the title area of the index page.

It's all part of Gary's plan - April 1 is coming soon ;) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good work on the links section Leigh - I wonder if it's worth putting these into a seperate page in the wiki, and linking direct to that from the front index? (this might already be in the wiki, dunno) ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby MattC on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:44 am

sheepie wrote:
MattC wrote:Which is the current site .net or .com... or are they the same thing? To add to the confusion there is .net and .com in the title area of the index page.

It's all part of Gary's plan - April 1 is coming soon ;) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Aaargh!!!! You guys! Never a straight answer!! :D :D
MattC

Postby MattC on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:49 am

Okay .net it is. That is where topic reply notifications point me.... until it gets change again....

Cheers :)
MattC

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:59 am

That will be a local issue.

I do not use the .net site either, but I do have a fully functional front page, including images. Yes, POTW, merchandis, etc.

The best advice I can give you - everyone - is do not use IE.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:08 am

sheepie wrote:

Good work on the links section Leigh - I wonder if it's worth putting these into a seperate page in the wiki, and linking direct to that from the front index? (this might already be in the wiki, dunno) ;)

The physical code bases for the .net and .com sites are the same, and they both use the same database, but they're using a slightly different server resource. The .net site should be used by most members, unless I've asked you not to, because of your "heavier" usage of the site.

It's a very crude way of atempting to load balance, because of the very crude way that DH decides how much CPU time you're able to use.

The only major and visible difference in the sites is that avatar updating is delayed - avatars are uploaded directly to the site that you're logged on to, but the uploaded files exist in a subdirectory within the codebase, and those folders need to be matched periodically.

Any other issues that are presenting themselves to you will be entirely local, and, most likely, due to your use of IE.

And there already is a link from our front page directly into the Wiki.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:22 am

gstark wrote:

I do not use the .net site either, but I do have a fully functional front page, including images. Yes, POTW, merchandis, etc.

The best advice I can give you - everyone - is do not use IE.

I just had a thought (shock, horror!)

If you're not seeing these images from the .com site, please pm me with the IP address that is affected.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:25 am

gstark wrote:And there already is a link from our front page directly into the Wiki.

Yeah, what I'm suggesting is a link direct to a wiki page which has the important links listed. Nicer formating that way than in a thread as they are now. Just another one of those 'unreasonable' suggestions ;) ;) ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby thaddeus on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:32 am

gstark wrote:

I just had a look at the .com site and source of the POTW image is the .net site, so anyone banned from the .net site wouldn't be able to see it.

As I have said, I am happy to host the entire site + a gallery for free - no bandwidth problems, no need to ban IPs, no need for the confusion and hassle of multiple sites etc
thaddeus

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:42 am

sheepie wrote:Yeah, what I'm suggesting is a link direct to a wiki page which has the important links listed.

Ahh, my apologies.

I misunderstood the detail of your post.

Thanx for clarifying that. I'll have Leigh looki into creating that links resouce on the wiki. Unless you're offering. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:46 am

thaddeus wrote:I just had a look at the .com site and source of the POTW image is the .net site, so anyone banned from the .net site wouldn't be able to see it.

That actually depends upon the nature and mode of the banning., and it's why I've asked for the affected IP addresses, so that I can look more closely at this.

As I have said, I am happy to host the entire site + a gallery for free - no bandwidth problems, no need to ban IPs, no need for the confusion and hassle of multiple sites etc

And this is still something that we're looking closely at. I've had more than a few similar offers, plus a couple of other options have come up, and I'm trying to assess which of them will be easiest to implement, and be best for the site.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks for the good work leigh. The changes are subtle, but the new structure is a lot cleaner. Interesting to see the Canon Corral has more topics than the Nikon one. Go Canon :!:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby moggy on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:27 am

Great work on the links section Leigh, awesome. :wink:

8) Bob.

moggy

Postby MattC on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:34 am

I have just spent the last hour or so trolling through the links section. Good work there. It is a excellent resource.

Leigh, Gary, Mods, are you going to put in place a system for others to submit links for consideration that may be worthwhile additions to the sticky... or will it be just a case of someone trolling through all of the other posts from time to time?

Cheers
MattC

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:44 am

I view through .com and everything works just fine for me, POTW, merchandise, etc
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 am

MattC wrote: or will it be just a case of someone trolling through all of the other posts from time to time?

It's exactly that, Matt.

The Links section is open to all members, and thus anybody may post a link that they've found (or that they think) is useful. Leigh periodically ges through and cleans it up, adding them to the sticky as needed.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mal on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:11 pm

Oh Mr Sheen, Oh Mr Sheen,
it’s the cleanest website I have ever seen………

Seriously well done Leigh, love the links section…nice…
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm not actually done with the site restructure, people.

I just did some of the sections and I'm still going through all 70 pages of the General Discussion and the pages of the other sections trying to put them in the right places (which is why there's more in Canon than Nikon).

I've still got quite a few restructuring bits to do and will do them within the next week.

Likewise, the links section is being done by hand and I'm not done yet. I'm pretty much only going to add those that I've found important and still valid so the links section is still there for any links you want to post that you'd like other members to know about.

I'm also going to have some level of indexing in that first post, which is why it looks a bit awkward at the moment, so people can better find the link they want much more quickly.

A few more sections will also be opened up in the coming weeks to users who normally wouldn't be able to use them mostly because we have a lot of users who I think should be able to get access to things like Film & Non-Digital (already done) and Computers (will be done soon) as they're things non-DSLR users who will want to get more active in the community should be able to find ways of getitng involved.
Nnnnsic

Postby johndec on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:16 pm

It's coming together nicely Leigh, you are obviously slaving over a hot keyboard. :lol:

Although it doesn't really bother me, but I was just wondering whether you are going to tidy up the membership list? A quick look reveals that there are 884 "members" who have never posted. If we cut a bit of slack to new members who like to look around a bit and get comfortable before they summon up the courage to post (say 3 months), that still leaves 720 stale members (including member #2, strangely enough named Gary :shock: ).

I don't imagine that their details take up much disk space, but this is such an alive and healthy forum that the dead wood annoys my sense of order :shock: My wife says that is because I'm a Virgo, my 16yo daughter says that is because I'm anal retentive (a shrink in the making) :lol: :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Onyx on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:21 pm

johndec wrote:...my 16yo daughter says that is because I'm anal retentive...

I'm anal retentive too John, I've retained my anus since birth...
Onyx

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:32 pm

The thing is John, it's hardly our place to tell someone that because they don't post we're going to remove their account.

I see no reason to delete accounts even if they've posted nothing.
Nnnnsic

Postby johndec on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:53 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:The thing is John, it's hardly our place to tell someone that because they don't post we're going to remove their account.

I see no reason to delete accounts even if they've posted nothing.

No problem. The only reason I originally asked is that it can be a pain to find a member via the member list if you wish to PM them and will be 5 times the pain in 5 years time. However, I've since realised you can find a members details easily via the search function. :oops:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:43 am

johndec wrote: (including member #2, strangely enough named Gary :shock: ).

That's my non-admin test account. When I make chamnges to the forum - or to the codebase - I sometimes need to see how it looks from an ordinary member's perspective, and so I use that account.

And no, we're not going to cull any of the members. How do we know that some of them aren't simply lurkers?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 am

johndec wrote: However, I've since realised you can find a members details easily via the search function. :oops:

There's an even easier way.

When you're in the PM window, there's a find a user function. Pop up that window, feed in a few characters (wildcards are ok) and selecxt the member from the dropdown.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby johndec on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Not a big issue, but I've noticed that the "Headlines" box on the front page hasn't updated since the 28/1/06.
johndec

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Indeed.

Problems seem to be constant with the DPR RSS feed and the aggregator I use
Nnnnsic

Return to Announcements