Ted's camera's

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ted's camera's

Postby nito on Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:59 am

I will tell a tale of misinformation and poor customer service.

My wife, bought a 70-200 VR for my birthday as a suprise birthday gift! The order was placed in store on the 8th Dec 2005 and deposit paid.

During the order, the sales person assured her that the lens will be delivered within 1 week since maxwell has the lens in stock.

Ted's did not place the order until the 12th Dec, after which my wife got a phone call informing the lens wont be delivered until the 30th Dec. Hence wrecking the suprise birthday present which was scheduled for the 27th Dec. :cry: Needless to say the lens wasnt delivered on the 30th Dec. My poor wife is quite angry about the whole affair.

Yesterday I was on the phone to ted's to enquire about the lens. They blamed maxwell for being closed. The lens will not be delivered until early Jan but they are still unsure. It could take another few weeks from early Jan depending on maxwell stock.

The moral of the story for ted's is:-

A. Dont promise a delivery time if its is impossible.
B. Know when your distrbutor's holiday period is and again dont promise a delivery time if its impossible.
C. Don't bullshit that a lens is in stock when it isn't.

I want to cancel the order, but since its a special order I can't without loosing the deposit. :cry:
nito

Postby Greg B on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:02 pm

I would think that you could cancel the order if you wanted to, given Ted's failure to deliver as promised. The question is whether you would want to.

I would be writing to the manager expressing my dissatisfaction, and asking what they propose to do about it. And also to request a firm delivery date, pointing out the information given to date has been deceptive and misleading.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Ted's camera's

Postby oli on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:17 pm

nito wrote:The moral of the story for ted's is:-

A. Dont promise a delivery time if its is impossible.
B. Know when your distrbutor's holiday period is and again dont promise a delivery time if its impossible.
C. Don't bullshit that a lens is in stock when it isn't.

Considering how much they've screwed you around I would demand a return of the deposit considering they weren't able to meet their side of the deal.

Thanks to similar experiences I'd say another "moral of the story" for the customer is to never trust salespeople, ever.

Good luck resolving it anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the lens when you do get it.
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby Alex on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:22 pm

Hi nito, I agree with Oli here. As a matter of principle I would ask for deposit back since they breached the verbal agreement. Not only did they breach it, but I would stress that time line was CRUCIAL because it was a birthday present. They are liable to be sued, in this particular case.

Alex
Alex

Postby Alex on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:23 pm

Just a thought nito, since they stuffed this up so badly, and provided you still want the lens from them, I would press them for a discount/ or something extra due to the stuff up on the behalf.

Alex
Alex

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:30 pm

They should be able to cancel the order with Maxwell and thereby allowing for the return of the deposit :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby avkomp on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:53 pm

...........and then get it from birdy for less money!! :lol:
Steve
avkomp

Postby oli on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:18 pm

Considering such agreements are almost always verbal, I wonder what the response would be towards a potential customer if the customer asked for a document or receipt of some form on paper stating when a lens would arrive?
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby LittleB on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:02 pm

If you are interested...

From the website of the Office of Fair Trading, I found this under "Refunds and Repairs"

"Consumers and traders may negotiate other solutions such as a repair or replacement but under these circumstances a consumer has a legal right to cancel a contract (rescind) and receive a refund if there is a breach of that contract."

In your case, there is a breach of a verbal agreement, if you wife knew exactly who she spoke with on what date, you have a very good case. You should put this in writing to the store manager.

Good luck, and when you get your refund you can purchase from Birddog.
LittleB
LittleB

Postby oli on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:10 pm

Is a verbal agreement considered a contract though? :?:
oli

Postby LittleB on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:36 pm

Verbal agreements are in this case because time line was a critical issue, being a surprise gift. The whole essence of the surprise is now ruined
LittleB
LittleB

Postby marcotrov on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:49 pm

I do believe the customer alwways has the upper hand :wink: I agree with Greg B write the letter and stick to your guns! Get your refund and order with birddog.
cheers and good luck
marco
marcotrov

Postby MHD on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:54 pm

Verbal agreements are contacts... (at least there is good precedence...)

I concur with what have been said, I would cancel even if to teach them a bloody lesson and put your name down with Birddog. You will have to wait a while but you will be rewarding good service and punishing bad....
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby nito on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:15 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I am not impressed with Ted's at the moment. Basically will never walk into their stores again!

I am going to push a discount over the situation. My wife sale price for the lens is 2800. How low do you think they will go?

She only went with Ted's because, a friend of her scared her off the importers price. She was worried about the warranty issues. btw its Ted's Chadswood store in sydney.
nito

Postby MHD on Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:22 pm

my experience with teds is that it depends on who you get at the time...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Greg B on Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:41 pm

You should ask to speak to the manager.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Matt. K on Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:17 pm

My experience with teds is that they are normally very very good. Explain the situation to the manager and he will hopefully make amends.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Onyx on Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:43 pm

I'll be heading to Chatwood tomorrow. Do you want me to spraypaint anything on the windows of the Teds store?! ;)
Onyx

Postby nito on Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:28 am

Onyx wrote:I'll be heading to Chatwood tomorrow. Do you want me to spraypaint anything on the windows of the Teds store?! ;)

Onyx, you have been watching those grapphitti videos agin? :lol:
nito

Postby gstark on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:24 pm

oli wrote:Is a verbal agreement considered a contract though? :?:

Always, yes, provided the other elements of a contract have been met.

In this case, Ted's have clearly breached, and the refund of the deposit should be forthcoming.

That they have placed an order with Maxwell's is their problem, not your's.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby nito on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:18 am

Well I got a refund on the deposit.

The new date of delivery is the 15th of Jan. That is way pass the date promised.

The sales guys checked with the manager and they said that it can only be done by cheque and not electronically. They will phone later over the cheque.

I've since sourced the lens through ECS which gives much better service. :lol:
nito

Return to Trader Opinions