Sydney Airport viewing spots.

This section contains links that may be of interest to DSLR owners. Things like software, or firmware updates, will be found here.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sydney Airport viewing spots.

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:05 am

Just found this site.

Looks like some worthwhile information.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:07 am

Thanks Gary!
I love it!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:22 am

I thought you might. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Tommo on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks :D I've been to the airport a few times already, it's fantastic!

I often use the mound, and another spot... but i'm not sure which one they have called it. It's right by the east-west runway, on the fence, and they come over very low. It's right near to a golf course, and at the end of the gravel road.

It would be great to organise a meet where we head out there ;) Anyone else keen???
Tommo

Postby sheepie on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:24 am

Tommo wrote:It would be great to organise a meet where we head out there ;) Anyone else keen???

Would be interested - I'd suggest if we were to organise something, a phone call (at least) to Airport Security would be in order!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby brembo on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:27 am

Just a note, the links to maps of Sydney airport are invalid.

Here is a list of new charts/maps: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm
brembo

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:27 am

Tommo wrote:Thanks :D I've been to the airport a few times already, it's fantastic!

I often use the mound, and another spot... but i'm not sure which one they have called it. It's right by the east-west runway, on the fence, and they come over very low. It's right near to a golf course, and at the end of the gravel road.

It would be great to organise a meet where we head out there ;) Anyone else keen???

It's Tempe, my guess! we had a meet at Sans Souci last year!
To go in the right spot for shooting planes around Sydney AP is also depend on weather as wind direction and time.
Most heavy air traffic time are early in the morning between 6:00 - 9:00am and 2:00 - 4:00PM, International flight arriving and departing, then again in the morning you may shoot into the sun and in the afternoon sometime in windy condition the depature runway is in difference direction.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:29 am

I was quite surprised that, on my return from the US a couple of weeks ago, we came in on the EW runway. I can't remember the last time I've used that one; perhaps back in 1990, when returning from a trip to Melbourne or Griffith?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:31 am

gstark wrote:I was quite surprised that, on my return from the US a couple of weeks ago, we came in on the EW runway. I can't remember the last time I've used that one; perhaps back in 1990, when returning from a trip to Melbourne or Griffith?

Perhaps traffic too heavy on that morning! or some other conditions!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:33 am

I would have thought that heavy traffic would have meant using the two NS runways, so I'm presuming that the conditions on the day dictated the use of this approach.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Important links