A few links that may be useful to most

This section contains links that may be of interest to DSLR owners. Things like software, or firmware updates, will be found here.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

A few links that may be useful to most

Postby Newidude on Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Being stuck at home for the past month+ I have stumbled across a few sites i thought may be of use to many others so I thought I should share.

First one is an extra for windows to make Raw files viewable without loading a new program. Now I use bridge like most would but being able to quick review without having to load a whole other program is a blessing.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Second one is a free podcast with photshop tutorials. You can subscribe at either http://www.photoshoptv.com or search podcasts in the I-Tunes directory for photoshop. Its a half hour episode and has a new episode once weekly. If you have a video I-Pod you can watch them where ever you may be ;)

Another one would be the free dl'able brushe's, custom shapes, actions etc at http://share.studio.adobe.com/

Also have a look at the actions at http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm

And this one for brushes. Although it has a regular pop-up :(
http://brushfind.com/

Hope someone finds at least one of them useful.

Brad
Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to there level, then beat you with experience.
Although I gotta admitt, sometimes it makes for a good laugh ;)
Newidude

Postby stubbsy on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 pm

Brad.

Thanks for sharing these, but you did look in the important links section first to make sure the weren't already there didn't you? :wink:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Newidude on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:03 pm

Is this thread really going to make or break your bandwith issues or is bandwith getting THAT expensive? Maybe if it's that bad people should start keeping all there images in one thread rather than making a new one for each image they want to share.

I think you may be over doing your "moderation" duties stubbsy ;) Maybe you need to start setting up a smily stamp rating and a mr sad face rating for those "good and badboys and girls" and give them certain bandwith limits accordingly.

I'll make sure next time I search a 233 threaded section to make sure I don't share a simple link that may have been previously posted. Or maybe just keep them to myself.

I am a moderator on another site and I can tell you from experience that over moderation can be a real bad thing. Are you fairly new to this moderator business?
And on the topic of over moderation, maybe you should start hitting on all the regulars inside the select little group of "mates" that you tend to leave alone that persist on posting images above the "legal limit"

Just to show I am not bullshitting, be sure to go check out http://www.shubba.com
Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to there level, then beat you with experience.
Newidude

Postby Geoff on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:15 pm

Newidude - Just an observation - I think you may be over reacting and I think you may have read Stubby's post the wrong way. If he REALLY didn't think your post was necessary, he would have locked it, he didn't do that. Chill :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:28 pm

Thanks for posting Brad - some interesting stuff - some seen before and some new.

Personally I think the search engine is a lot of crap :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:29 pm

Whoa dude.

Chill.

It was a suggestion and a good one.

I don't take too kindly to people who insult my moderator team and while I know it probably wasn't an insult, it didn't seem all too friendly a comment.

Just for some information, you could've looked in the Important Links section or even posted it in that category.

No worries if you didn't. One of the mods will happily move it for you.

Mind you, I'm a mod on several other forums and if I saw a mod doing something I wouldn't necessarily do, I wouldn't see it as my right to suggest or tell them otherwise how it should be done, nor suggest that because they're not doing something a way you're doing it, it must be wrong or they must be new to it.

Also, you're welcome to have opinions and ideas as to how we do things around here and how you think we should change them, but with respect, we handle things as we see fit and if you really have something you want to get across to us, why not send a mod or admin a PM letting us know what you think and why.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Newidude on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:13 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I don't take too kindly to people who insult my moderator team.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. Is that you getting your E-Thug on? hahahahaha. Awesome!

I never noticed the links thread before and if I did I would have posted it in there. The rest I am going to stand by.

Brad

P.S. And just for the record, there was never any ill feelings towards stubbsy. No matter how I worded it.
Newidude

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:30 am

Newidude wrote:I think you may be over doing your "moderation" duties stubbsy ;)

Let me assure you that he is not overdoing anything. Let me further assure you that he is aboslutely correct in insisting to you that you perform the simple courtesy of ensuring that cross- or duplicate postings - whaich are explicitly prohibited here - are not made.

Your attitude towardsPeter is, quite frankly, offensive and not acceptable.

Now, if you're not prepared to accept that we have rules in place for the benefit of all, that's fine.

We do, however, have a word for people who think that they're able to ignore our rules.

I am a moderator on another site

That's fine. Please enjoy your moderator status at that other site. Please also note very carefully that you are not a moderator here. Please note further that this site is not any other site.

And with respect, my guess is that if you didn't like what we had at this site, you wouldn't be hanging around here at this site. Especially as much as you do.

So, you need to either accept this site's rules, and deal with it, or move along.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:33 am

Newidude wrote:I never noticed the links thread before and if I did I would have posted it in there.

So ... your failure to become familiar with our forum is somehow not your problem, and you see fit to place blame upon someone else who, quite correctly, tries to point your nose in a more appropriate direction?

And please explain how it is, Mr Moderator-in-another-forum, that you failed to see, in bold typeface, the section on very front page that clearly says "Important Links". Sticke out like dogs' balls, but you can't see it? My sister is an optometrist; perhaps she can help with one of your problems?

Whoooo boy. You are well on the way.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Newidude on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:40 am

Hahahahaha
O.K.

Cya's ;)
Newidude

Return to Important links