Some DIY for the Speedlite... DUW 2mb of images

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Some DIY for the Speedlite... DUW 2mb of images

Postby Joshman on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:50 pm

first of all, sorry about the amount of pics in this post, if you want me to reduce them, then i can accomodate, otherwise, it's onto the show!

hey guys, i've been playing around with my most recent aquisition, the Sigma EF-530EO-TTL II flash, and am having a blast with it. and as such i've come to make a few little gadgets that i though i'd share with you in the hope that someone is inspired and/or improvements can be made.

This is the first one, a Small Softbox, made from some Fluted plastic sheet and a Paper box:

Here's a Short snoot, made from an old neoprene stubby cooler:

Here's a Strip light addition to the snoot, simply slip the wire frame into the end of the snoot:

And a good old fasioned difusor, made from some plastic for the frame, and wrapped in medical tape :

And my own version of the Speed Strap, handy for attaching Gobo's and the like:

This a pic of my loyal model, woody, the soft box is just off to camera right, and slightly infront of the model:

Well hopefully ya'll like some of the stuff i've come up with and can find some applications for it, and if you come up with any speedlite accessories like these, please share them!, i'd love to see what other people are making!

happy shooting!
Canon 400D | Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS | 50mm f1.8 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER ETTL-II
flickr
Joshman

Re: Some DIY for the Speedlite...

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:08 am

I like the idea of the snoot, very nice. I'll try it next time. Thanks for sharing!!
Yi-P

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:24 am

nice one with the stubby holder - have been looking for a material like that but couldn't figure out where to get it from :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 am

Good thinking.

I made a strip light out of a manfrotto light stand box - about 70 cm tall, <10cm wide. Grabbed some tracing paper and a bit of foam type stuff as a baffle inside. I don't have a photo of it, but this is one of the results:

YOu can see the striplight in his eyes, although you can't, of course, get any idea of size.

I have tried to make a grid by using black straws, but the first one was too long, and restricted the light too much. I tried to cut it down, but it fell apart. I will try again soon.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 pm

patrick, i made a grid snoot as well with black straws and the straws were about 5cm in length. You can control the area then using the zoom function on your speedlight as well as by changing the distance between the subject and the speedlight.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby paulmac on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Good to see some homebrewing in the photography world. Cardboard and sticky tape. It may not impress the models, but it works well!

Nice stuff. (and I like your pics on flickr too, btw).

What are you using to trigger the flash when it's off camera?
paulmac

Postby Joshman on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:21 pm

hahah, i'm using the flash in optical slave mode, and bouncing the on-camera-flash off the ceiling using some white card. if you have a look at the soft box pic, you can see i didn't cover up the little slit in the top of the box. i like to think that lets the photons in.
Canon 400D | Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS | 50mm f1.8 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER ETTL-II
flickr
Joshman

Re: Some DIY for the Speedlite... DUW 2mb of images

Postby aim54x on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Awesome ideas!! I think I will have to copy some of them for my SB-600
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby chasem on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:44 pm

stubby cooler is an awesome idea.
chasem

Postby jaff on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:40 pm

chasem wrote:stubby cooler is an awesome idea.

And if all else fails, you could probably use it for....... :cheers:
jaff

Return to Tips and tricks