Photographing Moving Vehicles

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photographing Moving Vehicles

Postby adamj123 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:42 am

Found this informative tutorial on hot to shoot moving vehicles whilst driving for those that are interested: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/class ... h5sbdr58j0
adamj123

Postby Yi-P on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:00 pm

Sweet! Tho I'm not sure if those vacuum locks can hold up on bumps... loosing a 5D at 60km/h is not a good idea!! :?
Yi-P

Postby adamj123 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:03 pm

hehe yeah that wouldn't be good. Maybe you could attach some safety rope onto it :)
adamj123

Postby Gripboy on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:12 pm

That is a similar method used to mount movie cameras on vehicles. The ones you've found are obviously smaller, but then again so is your (D)SLR, even with a battery grip attached.
Think your 5D is precious, try mounting 100+ pounds and several hundred thousand dollars worth of 35mm Pannavision camera on the side of your Holden.
The big brother version is called the Super Grip mount. A quick google search returns lots of links, such as:

http://www.alangordon.com/s_tripods_supergrip.html

Another method is to use a device called a Hostess Tray. Think of the tray you'd set on your car window at the drive-in burger joint, add a suction cup or two and come good, strong ratchet straps and you get the idea.

I'd still test it with something other than **MY** Nikon. anyone want to loan me their Canon? <<DUCK>> :-)
Gripboy

Return to Tips and tricks