Ken Rockwell & the D2X

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ken Rockwell & the D2X

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:09 pm

I thought you guys & gals would like to see the summary that Ken Rockwell has written on the new D2X (my apologies to Ken for stealing his words):

To each their own. I'm unimpressed by simple megapixels as you may read here, so personally I'm sticking with my D70 for it's twice better weight, twice higher ISO speeds, twice better sync speed and one-quarter price. If you'd rather read a chat room where people discuss this instead of making photos have a look here. I rarely shoot sports, so the almost triple frame rate of the D2X isn't likely to get me to shell out four Gs. When I want quality I shot my large format film camera since the D2X is no match for that, and since I shoot digital for fun the D70 remains king. Remember I only make about 2,000 images a month, usually use a digital camera like a toy and love light weight and fast sync speed. Wake me up when I can try out and buy a D2X in person, otherwise I'm too busy using my D70 today to care.

It's unlikely that anyone will be able to buy one of these for months. If you have photos to make today just get a D70 or D2H and be happy.

I think he says it all for us D70 lovers

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:40 pm

We had a thread posted in our forum from one of his review about the D70. He praised it very high.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:51 pm

Birddog114 wrote:We had a thread posted in our forum from one of his review about the D70. He praised it very high.

But this time he is giving a wrap for the D70 against the D2X. . .

Now that is saying something

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:59 pm

sirhc55 wrote:But this time he is giving a wrap for the D70 against the D2X. . .

Now that is saying something

Bear in mind though, he's saying this without yet having actually had a D2x in his hands.

What this is saying to me is not so much that the D70 may (or may not) be a better camera than a D2x, but simply that he's very happy with his D70, and that the D70 is satisfying his needs at this time.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:14 pm

I agree - but I do know that for 4 years I carried a D1 around that not only broke the bank but was also uncomfortable on the shoulder.

My personal belief is that cameras (no matter what make) that have the fast fps and buffering are great for sports oriented photography but in many ways lack the versatility of the lighter D70.

It will be interesting, say in 2 or 3 years time, when we have our Dxxx plus the D70 to reflect on these times. That’s the beauty of the evolving Nikon stable.

Cheers

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:15 pm

IMHO, he sometimes overstates, he's one of the Pro, agreed, but he hasn't seen or touch the D2x yet. I wonder how can he judge the D2x on its paper theory!!!!!!

People had the same verdict for the D2h when it first released same as the popular D70, but have a look at the D2h now, I can print its photos on A3 and A3+ and I'm happy with its abilities and performances, if I can I'll grab a D2x at the best time of my financial period.

Please wait and see, people will cry for it once it's available on the market cos this and that, then will slip back into quiet mode and be happy shooters.

I don't see anything wrong with all of the new toys, especially they have Nikon or Canon name on it, even I still have an old genuine Nikon shoulder bag that i bought around 20 years ago, people saw it and want to trade for a new Lowepro bag.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:32 pm

Again, I agree Birddog.

The 2Dh (I believe) is 4.1M and has the fast fps and buffereing so favoured and used by sports journalists (and of course enthusiasts).

The one thing we have to remember is that with digital photography we all have a twofold application - shoot the photo and post processing. Purists will say that the photo out of the camera should be the one to use.

Both Bjorn Rorslett and Mplonsky do phenomenal post processing - one in the field of macro and the other in IR and UV digital work and they are both renowned for their work.

I myself have used both the D1 (just over 2M) and the D70 to reproduce photos to over 200Mbs for clients using PixelScale and Photoshop CS.

I suppose it is always subjective - I personally think the Mona Lisa is awful but thousands or even millions would disagree.

Cheers

Chris

“Long live democracy” and of course the D70 forum
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:44 pm

I do like the idea of being able to make overlay exposures on the D2X - reminds me of old film days and multiple exposure

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Information