Apple's Aperture 2

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Apple's Aperture 2

Postby V-man on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Whats Aperture 2 like. i am upgrading to a intel-based Mac , and that will run the NEW Aperture 3 . i am just wondering what it's
like. Has it got any high end editing.
D200 etc
V-man

Re: Apple's Aperture 2

Postby Steffen on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 am

V-man wrote:Whats Aperture 2 like. i am upgrading to a intel-based Mac , and that will run the NEW Aperture 3 . i am just wondering what it's like. Has it got any high end editing.

Aperture is a non-destructive workflow and digital asset management tool. It is not used for "photoshopping". It does have a range of adjustment tools (that range just got larger and more flexible with Aperture 3) that allow you to develop your raw image into a final product. The tools Aperture provides fall into the "digital darkroom" category, they're not graphic design tools, which is more where Photoshop's focus lies.

I suggest you download the free trial and see for yourself.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby muzz on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 pm

I've been using Aperture 2 for a while now and I think it does it's job well. It is a very good image asset manager with powerful metadata tools and a fairly intuitive interface. It has inbuilt RAW processing and non-destructive simple editing features and good export functionality. I was starting to find that there were things that I wanted to go into Photoshop for as I became more experimental - these were typically local changes to an image rather than global (curves, masks and layers in particular were not available in Aperture 2). However if changes tended to be global to the image Aperture sufficed for most things for me. It has a plug-in architecture which allows editing in-app with some familiar software such as Nik and Photomatix.

With the introduction in Aperture 3 of curves, brushes and essentially layers and masks (though not exactly described that way it is possible to build up an image with a variety of varying adjustments both locally and globally) as well as in-app geotagging , audio and video asset management with some editing ability, adjustment presets and brush presets it's likely that I will be able to do much more in Aperture and be less likely to use Photoshop for some time.

I'd be interested to see a comparison between Lightroom and Aperture - I don't use Lightroom but I had the impression that it was more of a complement to PS or Elements rather than a stand-alone app but I may have this wrong (on a course I did recently the speaker kept saying LR wasn't a pixel-based program and you needed to export from LR to either PS, Elements or another "pixel-based" application).

I suggest you work your way through the web pages on Apples Aperture site and in particular look at the videos on those pages and if you're still interested download the 30 day trial. My copy is winging it's way out of Sydney as we speak :D
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby muzz on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:20 am

Not sure if this could be called unbiased (it is on an Aperture Users Network page after all) but nevertheless it does compare Aperture 3 and Lightroom:

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/02/09/aperture-3-overview/
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Return to Information