Being asked to login again

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Being asked to login again

Postby ATJ on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:33 am

Both before and after we moved to the new version of the forum software, I have not had any issues with Firefox and the forum remembering my credentials and I never have to log in to the forum - even after not being connected for a week or rebooting or anything. Until now...

I have just moved to a new laptop for work. Now the forum is asking me to log in as little as 2 hours after I last used it. I don't have to log in within a session so it appears to be some kind of timing thing. It is obvious that it is some setting on the new laptop, probably in Firefox, but I have no idea where to look.

The Privacy settings look correct:

and I can see cookies from both dslrusers.com and dslrusers.net

Anyone with any ideas?
ATJ

Re: Being asked to login again

Postby blacknstormy on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 am

I can't help, but am looking forward to seeing the solution as I've had this problem since we migrated to the new look - if I close dslr and reopen it even 10minutes later, I still have to log on again :(
At least I can still remember my password I spose ;)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby ATJ on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 am

Rel,

Do you normally connect to dslrusers.net or dslrusers.com? I'll have to boot up the old one to see what I connected to, but on the new machine I have been connecting to dslrusers.net and I'm now wondering if that might be the problem.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 am

.com is the default site that you should be connecting to. The new version of the software doesn't seem to handle the multiple domains as well as the older version.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby blacknstormy on Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:34 am

:oops: Yep, was logging onto .net ... have now changed to .com and logging on perfectly - thanks Andrew & Gary :) :oops:
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby ATJ on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am

gstark wrote:.com is the default site that you should be connecting to. The new version of the software doesn't seem to handle the multiple domains as well as the older version.

Thanks, Gary.

As I typed my post and looked at my cookies I suspected that it was a .com/.net thing. What is odd, though, is the notification emails are sent by dslrusers.net and sometimes have links to dslrusers.net and sometimes dslrusers.com (I suspect based on whatever the user was using to create their thread).
ATJ

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote: the notification emails are sent by dslrusers.net

Not odd at all. :)

Because the sites have moved between physical hosts over time, I have used different domains to transition from one to the other with minimal disruption to the sites.

The emails are only set up to come from the .net domain, as that was the domain that was the original target domain at the current host (DH).

Links within threads will be, as you have discerned, based upon the domain to which the user creating the link has logged in to.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:36 pm

Gary,

This is what I was referring to:

Hello ATJ,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Being asked to login again" at "DSLRUsers.com". This topic has received a
reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the
replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33816&p=366546&e=366546

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33816

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
viewforum.php?f=6

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the
"Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by
clicking the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33816&unwatch=topic

--
Thanks,

g.
Gary Stark
gstark@dslrUsers.net

Hello ATJ,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Being asked to login again" at "DSLRUsers.com". This topic has received a
reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the
replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4&e=366534

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33816

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewforum.php?f=6

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the
"Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by
clicking the following link:

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php? ... atch=topic

--
Thanks,

g.
Gary Stark
gstark@dslrUsers.net

I guess if someone responds to a post on .net, the link in the email include .net and if they respond on .com the link included .com.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:34 am

ATJ wrote:I guess if someone responds to a post on .net, the link in the email include .net and if they respond on .com the link included .com.

Perhaps, but my thinking is that the forum name, as set in the configuration, is .com, hence that is what is initially quoted in the email.

The links though show the .net domain because when you registered to watch the thread, you would have been (as you have already observed) logged in to the .net domain. What happens if you unsubscribe to the thread, and then, being logged in through.com, then subscribe to it, or some other thread?

I'm presuming that you'll get one as a result of this post (and you probably already have from some of my earlier ones) in which case those posts of mine would have been made by me in the .com domain.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:11 am

Gary,

Both of those quoted emails are for this thread so it can't be based on what I was using when I started watching the thread as I haven't changed my subscription.

The first one I received at 9:28am and so corresponds to your post (I assume on .com). The second one I received at 9:07am which would be for Rel's post when she was using .net. I actually switched to .com shortly after my original post (as it dawned on me that might be the cause) but still received emails with .net (other threads, too).
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am

Which then seems to corroborate your suggestion then.

Interesting to know. :)

Cheers
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 am

I also have these sorts of issues.
When I go direct to the site I go to .com but I usually go to the site via an email link.
Sometimes I get asked to log on. Sometimes I go in as logged on. I can already be logged on in one tab and still be asked to log on on another.

What is really frustrating is that sometimes I will be logged on, answer a post, then when I click "submit", I get asked to log on again - and lose what I have typed :cry: :roll: I am getting into the habit of copying all posts to the clipboard before submitting
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ATJ on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:20 am

Greg,

I bet you are seeing those issues for the reasons I observed. If you go via an email link that was .net (because the poster was on .net) you have the log in problems.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 am

Greg,

What Andrew says is correct. Check your links as you accept them; I'll bet that when you're asked to log in, you're trying to access .net
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:48 am

Yep I can see that but I can't understand, in that context, being asked to login in when I submit a reply to a post. I will track that in future.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 am

Very simple: your cookies have you logged in through the one domain, but not the other.

As the software doesn't handle the cross-domain boundaries as gracefully as the earlier version, and the board configuration is that one must be a logged in member in order to post any message ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby CraigVTR on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm

I have always logged on to .net so have never had the auto login. Problem now solved.

Thanks guys. :D
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Return to Information