The forum FAQ

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

The forum FAQ

Postby Underload on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:24 pm

I was having a browse over the FAQ before, and I noticed one or two discrepancies. They're only minor, but I thought I'd point them out (hope you don't mind!). It justs makes for a more cohesive intro the forum, IMO. :)

The rules for gaining membership (ie special access) are stated twice, with a slight variance in the rules (one set requires a pic to be posted, the other does not).

I think the section about 'English' and posting style has been put up twice.

James...the nitpicker :wink:
Underload

Postby phillipb on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Well, if nothing else, you'll get a few people going to the FAQ section to have a look, which is not a bad thing. :)

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Re: The forum FAQ

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:45 pm

Underload wrote:I was having a browse over the FAQ before, and I noticed one or two discrepancies. They're only minor, but I thought I'd point them out (hope you don't mind!). It justs makes for a more cohesive intro the forum, IMO. :)

The rules for gaining membership (ie special access) are stated twice, with a slight variance in the rules (one set requires a pic to be posted, the other does not).

I think the section about 'English' and posting style has been put up twice.

James...the nitpicker :wink:

James,

That's deliberate.

When you do public speaking, you're told to give your audience your message three times. Same deal here. :)

But thanx for your interest. As Phillip says, if it gets people looking at the FAQ, that's a good thing.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Underload on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 pm

gstark wrote:
James,

That's deliberate.

When you do public speaking, you're told to give your audience your message three times. Same deal here. :)

Gary, thanks for your response. It's a fair point you raise - some things have to be drummed in I guess :wink:

But the main purpose of my post was to highlight the presence of inconsistent information within the same document. One post requires new users seeking to become members to post at least one image for critique, and othe other does not.

I definitely agree that there is a benefit (and one that I admittedly did not consider until your post) to providing the information twice, as a means of reaffirming and reiterating what has been said.

Having said that, when message a says one thing, and message b is silent on the same topic, it (in my own opinion) isn't really that clear what is expected.
Underload

Postby Killakoala on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:41 pm

There's an FAQ????

:) :) :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby stubbsy on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:05 pm

James

Your point about inconsistency is a good one. Gary does bugger all anyway. Gives him something to do - FIX THE FAQ :wink: :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:09 pm

What does FAQ mean :?
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby DVEous on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:30 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby phillipb on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 pm

... and how does a Frequently asked question become a frequently asked question if nobody asks it because it is already answered in the FAQ before you ask it? :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

I'm not sure I follow this myself :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:53 am

sirhc55 wrote:What does FAQ mean :?

Not sure what it means, but it is pronounced like the Graham Kennedy crow call - ie "faaahk" :lol: :lol: :lol:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 am

Underload wrote:Gary, thanks for your response. It's a fair point you raise - some things have to be drummed in I guess :wink:

That's certainly been my experience. :)

But the main purpose of my post was to highlight the presence of inconsistent information within the same document. One post requires new users seeking to become members to post at least one image for critique, and othe other does not.

Rather than being inconsistent, perhaps one was more specific than the other? :)

Thanx; I've amended one to more closely match the other. Please let me know if you think further adjustments are desired.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am

phillipb wrote:... and how does a Frequently asked question become a frequently asked question if nobody asks it because it is already answered in the FAQ before you ask it? :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :?

I'm not sure I follow this myself :lol:

Phillip,

What I find curious is that, when something brand new pops up, it comes complete with a whole raft of FAQs, and their respective answers. Like, how, for a brand new product, does this happen?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Underload on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:51 am

gstark wrote:Rather than being inconsistent, perhaps one was more specific than the other? :)

Thanx; I've amended one to more closely match the other. Please let me know if you think further adjustments are desired.

Thanks for your help Gary, and the kind way that you were able to provide it. Your comment about specificity is a good reminder that there is always more than one interpretation :wink:

Edited - and thanks to the others too, I never thought a 3 letter acnonym would generate such discussion :shock: :)
Underload

Postby Manta on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:46 am

gstark wrote:Phillip,

What I find curious is that, when something brand new pops up, it comes complete with a whole raft of FAQs, and their respective answers. Like, how, for a brand new product, does this happen?

Gary - I think you can put this in the same category as products that are advertised as "New and Improved".

Huh???

:D
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 am

Manta wrote:
gstark wrote:Phillip,

Gary - I think you can put this in the same category as products that are advertised as "New and Improved".

Huh???

Simon,

My favourite was the one I would see on stuff like packets of chips or pretzels in the USA. On (for example) the 150g bag you'd see splash that proclaimed "Larger Size (than 100g size)".

Yeah, so ?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Return to Information