ABC TV. Right now

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

ABC TV. Right now

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:53 pm

7:30 report

Who's watching it?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:02 pm

It was an interview with Joel Myerowitz (or something along those lines), the Ground Zero photographer.

Provided an insight into some of the issues he faced and had to deal with in the aftermath of 9/11.

Very interesting.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:12 pm

I saw it, out of the corner of my eye while I was reading macro lens reviews here. :)

Amazing stuff. I loved the "No, not a bag. Get a flag!" for the bodies.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:22 pm

Simon,

Yes, that was, I think, a very telling moment.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raskill on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Saw this for a while, was very impressed. What was the name of his book? My wife decided it was shit and changed the channel to annoy me :roll:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:53 pm

I think it's called Ground Zero, Alan.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raskill on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Thanks mate!
:)
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Matt. K on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:06 am

Joel Myerowitz was very hot as a fine art photographer in the 70s and early 80s. Nice to see he is still around. He was well known for his colour images of cityscapes.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby stubbsy on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:55 am

I saw it by chance. It was an interesting, but very brief, report. Shame they didn't show more pics to give a feel for the book. I actually liked the comment quoted from one of the firemen raking the ground for fragments of people who described themselves as gardeners in the garden of the dead.

Here is a review of the book. And some pics from the book are here
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:10 am

There was a doco last week on SBS called "The Falling Man" relating to the two towers but in particular, one photo of a man falling from one of the towers in a surreal pose as he was falling. The doco was about the effect the image had against a backdrop of a nation who needed to see images of the heroism of the rescuers, survivors and the country as a whole, not this desparate picture of a person forced to commit a completely irrational act of jumping 1000 feet.

The doco then went on about the mission of a journo who wanted to identify the man and how he had thought he found the man's family, being Hispanic and catholic, and how they didn't want to come to grips with the prospect that their husband/father committed such a sin by killing himself, and therefore not being allowed into 'heaven'.

In the end, the man was mis-identified and they eventually believed they had correctly identified him.

One of the subtexts was the question of whether they should identify him at all (and the issues surrounding that for the family) or should his image captured on film be symbolic of the events of that day.

It was a great doco covering many issues relating to those events.

P
Reschsmooth

Postby MHD on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:32 pm

Yes, it was an excellent Doco (falling man) very interesting and telling into the American Psyche...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Both were most interesting pieces of TV, and I have recorded both.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mal on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:31 pm

It's only the words, no pictures but you get an idea about what was going on..

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT

LOCATION: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1735664.htm
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 pm

Mal,

Thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Information