Floods in Katherine

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Floods in Katherine

Postby bago100 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm

I see on the tv news that Katherine in the NT is almost completely flooded.

If my memory is correct, we have a member from Katherine.

Unfrtunately, I can't recall his name but whomever you are, I'm sure many dlsr members are thinking of you and the people of Katherine.

Be sure to keep your D70 dry!

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:42 pm

I saw some of the footage briefly seems like the whole place is under-water. Mother nature has really been dishing out some pain, with the cyclones and now floods. And over here we have the weather hot and cold, I heard it even snowed today ??

Back on topic, I hope our member is safe, dry and out of harms way.
Alpha_7

Postby Killakoala on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Katherine floods regularly.

I remember when it flooded in about 1999 (circa) and the road was cut for quite some time (weeks) and it amazingly caused a severe shortage of photocopier paper in Darwin, as the delivery could not get through. The Dept of Defence went out to all the supermarkets and stores and bought all the photocopier paper it could get it's hands on.

Defence can not operate without photocopier paper. That's how easy it is to render Australia's armed forces useless. :)

There were also many other empty spaces on shelves but i can't remember what was there beforehand. :) Photocopier paper was the one thing that stuck in my mind.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby MattC on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:21 pm

Good story Steve. Good to see the ADF has its priorities straight. :)

It should be interesting to see what happens. I was in Katherine in 1984 during an almost flood. Water levels reached a level ~30cm below the road surface on the bridge - higher than tonight. If the water goes over the bridge it apparently runs straight through the town. The high water levels were not such a problem back then. The town had a population of ~4000 back then vs the 10000+ now, so the town has sprawled considerably - no evacuations back then but there was considerable flooding in outlying areas. The town itself is the last place to get wet.

That river can change state in a heck of a hurry. A few weeks prior to that almost flood, some friends and I were jumping from the handrail on the bridge into a gently flowing channel ~20ft wide and about 10 ft deep. That is a loooong way down... around 20m. Young, dumb and... you finish the rest :)

The missus drove through yesterday on her way to the UK - now the roads are closed. Good thing she left a day early.

Oh yeah, those pictures showing the old railway bridge on the news.... there are some bloody big trees under all of that water between the two bridges - they'll survive.

Cheers
MattC

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:23 pm

Killakoala wrote:Defence can not operate without photocopier paper. That's how easy it is to render Australia's armed forces useless.

Awesome!!
Alpha_7

Return to Information