D200 - Official

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:02 am

Birddog114 wrote:Yes, it's another choice, but I hate to have difference type of batteries and accessories in my bag. :wink:
If you have a chance to play with it, definitely, it's not the D2x with the bottom sawn off, its viewfinder is little bit larger than the D70 but still not much.
Again if you can justify yourself around $3.5K (Including vertical grip and extra batteries) for this new baby as your backup body, then no question asked.

I can easily see your point of view Birdie, muliple batteries would be annoying.

My use for the D200 would be without the battery pack, with only 1 spare battery, for the purposes of when a big camera is not a positive (as well as general backup). For instance, hiking (weight saving) and shooting from the hip or of anything in a non-intrusive way (less noticeable/intimidating). Also definately useful when photographing in areas where theft is a problem.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:02 am

Hlop wrote:I can easyly justify switch to D200 :)
1. ISO100
2. Better autofocus and more focusing points
3. Optional vertical grip with shutter button
4. Most important, Ive got one young person who will intercept my D70 immediately as I throw it to the air :)

Great!!!! Then go for it! the book is still opening.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:06 am

With the D2x, Maxwells price was justifyable, especially because it was so expensive and used as a primary body.

With the D200, personally, as a second body I would buy at US price or HKS price. With the D2x sitting here I would not mind having to ship it back to HK IF there was a problem.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby Hlop on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Great!!!! Then go for it! the book is still opening.

Not yet. I'm still recovering from Gitzo and RRS bits and pieces purchase :) Also, to compensate effect of that purchase we had to buy some furniture and that wasn't light impact as well :)

So. My thoughts about D200 is March - May 2006. Before that I'll be getting few more pieces from RRS.
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:11 am

Heath Bennett wrote:
I can easily see your point of view Birdie, muliple batteries would be annoying.

My use for the D200 would be without the battery pack, with only 1 spare battery, for the purposes of when a big camera is not a positive (as well as general backup). For instance, hiking (weight saving) and shooting from the hip or of anything in a non-intrusive way (less noticeable/intimidating).

Still at around $3k mark! send your MO and I'll have it once it's available in January.

Also definately useful when photographing in areas where theft is a problem.

You can't avoid it, even with the tiny P&S :wink: and they need you for their quick life and living same as their passion :wink:

You can't not let them die without your support :lol:
You'll get better returns when selling your used gears to the insurance company rather put them on eBay or Trading Post :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:14 am

Hlop wrote: Not yet. I'm still recovering from Gitzo and RRS bits and pieces purchase :) Also, to compensate effect of that purchase we had to buy some furniture and that wasn't light impact as well :)

So. My thoughts about D200 is March - May 2006. Before that I'll be getting few more pieces from RRS.

Simple! sell the D70 to Taya with the nice premium :lol: and use the funds toward your purchase of the D200. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:20 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Still at around $3k mark! send your MO and I'll have it once it's available in January.

You can't avoid it, even with the tiny P&S :wink: and they need you for their quick life and living same as their passion :wink:

You can't not let them die without your support :lol:
You'll get better returns when selling your used gears to the insurance company rather put them on eBay or Trading Post :lol:

3K! I think I'll just use the D70 as backup until the price drops. How come the US is always so cheap :D

1,800.00 USD = 2,423.77 AUD

As far as theft is concerned, insurance is a lovely thing
:D

Insurance fraud is :evil: though people, they will catch you if you try :lol:

And saying that it was to fund lust will not hold up in court well. :idea: :lol:
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby kipper on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:23 am

At $3.5k with battery grip that is still half price of the D2X?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:29 am

Heath Bennett wrote:
3K! I think I'll just use the D70 as backup until the price drops. How come the US is always so cheap :D

1,800.00 USD = 2,423.77 AUD

You didn't take into account of your friend's (Peter Costello) famous GST factor. AU$2665.30 from the above figure after GST, then add the local markup from disti and shops.
Price won't drop much as you have seen with the D70 = $1400.00/ D100= $2400.00/ D2x = $7150.00 body only, prices based on ECS site.

As far as theft is concerned, insurance is a lovely thing
:D

Insurance fraud is :evil: though people, they will catch you if you try :lol:

And saying that it was to fund lust will not hold up in court well. :idea: :lol:

What happens if you've been robbed or raided by the bad guys? at home or when you travel? Is that fraudulent?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:33 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Simple! sell the D70 to Taya with the nice premium :lol: and use the funds toward your purchase of the D200. :wink:

Errr... That's very interesting idea :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:57 am

Birddog114 wrote:
Antsl wrote:Anyway, my editor on one of the magazines got to play with the D200 today and he really likes it. He reckons it is better in feel and operation than the Canon 5D (and hes a Canon man!). First stocks are expected in Early Jan ... slight possiblity that it will be December but they are erring on the side of caution..... I'm going to be like a kid waiting for Santa!

I used to call "Nai-kon", when I'm travelling back to the USofA, I used "Nikon" my friends were :? so I had to corrected myself.
Same as I always used to say "Fall" and stubbsy corrected me as "Autumn" :lol:

Not to mention "zee" as against "zed".

When I was living there, I just found it simpler to comply with what the locals expected .... when in Texas do as the Texans do ...

Having had a chance to look at a couple of images from the D200, I must say that I am somewhat impressed. While the image quality is great from what I've seen, it's certainly not, on its own, presenting me a compelling argument to upgrade from a D70.

I'll wait to have a play, and then I'll probably decide to keep waiting. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 am

OK - whoever believes that the D200 is the D70s replacement has rocks in their heads.

It is just another model in the lineup and if you want to tag it as a replacement camera - it is the D100 replacement.

:evil:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby kipper on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:41 am

I never would tag it as a D70 replacement, the D70 is an entry level DSLR. The D200 is more of an entry level pro DSLR, the D2X being a pro.
As you said it's more of a replacement to the D100 than the D70.
The D70 replacement will be the D90. Which I think is going to be quite interesting to watch, and I won't make a decision to change until this is released. Birddog seems to think it will surpass the D200 but I'm not sure it will? If it's going to be the D70 replacement and be an entry level DSLR. To me it'll be either the D200 sensor or the D2X sensor possibly? But will retain the entry level qualities such as 3FPS and probably only 5pts for AF?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:45 am

kipper wrote:I never would tag it as a D70 replacement, the D70 is an entry level DSLR. The D200 is more of an entry level pro DSLR, the D2X being a pro.
As you said it's more of a replacement to the D100 than the D70.
The D70 replacement will be the D90. Which I think is going to be quite interesting to watch, and I won't make a decision to change until this is released. Birddog seems to think it will surpass the D200 but I'm not sure it will? If it's going to be the D70 replacement and be an entry level DSLR. To me it'll be either the D200 sensor or the D2X sensor possibly? But will retain the entry level qualities such as 3FPS and probably only 5pts for AF?

Kipper,
Have a quick look at the D100 vs D70/s, which one? and how's it performed?
And your speculation of the Dxx vs D200/ Of course Nikon won't kill the newborn baby.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am

Not sure what you mean. All I'm saying is that the D100 isn't the D70 replacement :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:01 am

kipper wrote:

Not sure what you mean. All I'm saying is that the D100 isn't the D70 replacement :)

The D70 IS NOT the replacement of the D100,
Is it with more features & less cost (1/2) than the D100? YES
Is the D70 outperformed the D100? YES in both focus AF and other.
And etc........

So the Dxx IS NOT the replacement of D200.
(it's the replacement of D70)
So...............................your speculation.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Antsl on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:04 am

gstark wrote:Having had a chance to look at a couple of images from the D200, I must say that I am somewhat impressed. While the image quality is great from what I've seen, it's certainly not, on its own, presenting me a compelling argument to upgrade from a D70.

Hi Gary, I always knew the D70 was going to be a temporary camera for me ... many years ago I used to work with Nikon F4s however when the F5 came out I decided I was not interested in buying such a battery hungry brick and instead I opted to buy a couple of F100s. The weight makes them ideal for all day/night shooting without tiring you down.

The D70 has been an affordable start into digital however I was always intending to move on up in progressions. Having had the D2X to review for a couple of weeks I have to say I was unimpressed ... it didn't work well in my usual zone (low light ... too much noise) so I gave up on the idea of going there. The D200 seems very similar in handling to my two F100s and if it can cope in low light I will be more than happy to upgrade to it until Nikon get there act together on improved sensor technology.

The Nikon F5 represented the ultimate in 35 film camera bodies for its time, the F100 represented a similar design without the weight and heavy battery consumption. These days we are not so much buying the camera as the sensor as well ... the D200 looks to be the first real prosumer D-SLR camera Nikon have yet made and if it can deliver good images in challenging light then it will do me.

It is not the camera that makes great photos ... a good photographer can make almost any situation work with any camera. What is important is having a camera that you can rely on to work for you whenever you need it ... my hope is that the D200 will be more reliable than the D70s.

Cheers, Ants
Antsl

Postby MATT on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:04 am

I think you'll find the D90 (if thats what it is called) that repalces the D70 wont have better specs than the D200 if it comes out soon.

AS birdy says Nikon wont kill off their new baby straight away.

But may me the D90 wont be around as soon as some think.

May be Dec 06-June07 ??? Then maybe it will be better than the d200 along with a FF to replace the D2X.

But realy only the execs at Nikon know this stuff.

The more I see the D200 though the lust is starting to grow.... :twisted:

Hmm... sell D70 and Kit lens , buy D200 body and grip use with 24-120VR seems like a plan.

Now any chance of convincing the wife??? No chance.

MATT
MATT

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:13 am

MATT wrote:Hmm... sell D70 and Kit lens , buy D200 body and grip use with 24-120VR seems like a plan.

Now any chance of convincing the wife??? No chance.

MATT

It's not hard! Come down to Xmas dinner and I'll loan you the trick :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 am

Birddog114 wrote:
It's not hard! Come down to Xmas dinner and I'll loan you the trick :lol:

I'm next in the queue for the trick :) Actually, we didn't have any problem before with convincing each other but there is a limit for everything and time to reach this limit :) Also, it always good to have couple of good tricks in the sleeve :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby kipper on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:01 am

Not sure what you mean. All I'm saying is that the D100 isn't the D70 replacement

God I hate the 1 and the 2 being so close :)

What I meant to say was the D200 isn't the D70 replacement. So where is that any different to what you just said. It isn't?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:05 am

kipper wrote:
Not sure what you mean. All I'm saying is that the D100 isn't the D70 replacement

God I hate the 1 and the 2 being so close :)

What I meant to say was the D200 isn't the D70 replacement. So where is that any different to what you just said. It isn't?

The D100 came out first then the D70 next, should say the D70 isn't the replacement of the D100, am I correct?

And NO, the D200 isn't the D70 replacement.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:06 am

Birddog114 wrote:What happens if you've been robbed or raided by the bad guys? at home or when you travel? Is that fraudulent?

no, that is lucky! nice fat cheque... especially, if bought at good prices but insured at retail!
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:10 am

Heath Bennett wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:What happens if you've been robbed or raided by the bad guys? at home or when you travel? Is that fraudulent?

no, that is lucky! nice fat cheque... especially, if bought at good prices but insured at retail!

So, why you're too worry about using your gears in any danger places?
Let them have it! if you're confronted by them, your life and health are more important then your gears. I never against their wills, if I'm in any of those cases.
And what made you pay the insurance premium for? :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:27 am

Birddog114 wrote:So, why you're too worry about using your gears in any danger places?
Let them have it! if you're confronted by them, your life and health are more important then your gears. I never against their wills, if I'm in any of those cases.

I, personally, can not allow them to have it and lose self-respect for the rest of my life :twisted: Camera on the strap is a serious weapon and if it's damaged then insurance steps forward :twisted:
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:37 am

Hlop wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:So, why you're too worry about using your gears in any danger places?

I, personally, can not allow them to have it and lose self-respect for the rest of my life :twisted: Camera on the strap is a serious weapon and if it's damaged then insurance steps forward :twisted:

I'm not risking my life like that! I always gave ways and be soft with them and I taught my kids same as trained my wife, life is more worthy than goods. If they see the sign of danger, then release or let them go. Don't bother. :wink:

O/T: In our war we had been trained to ditch our aircraft in any worst situation as its crippled rather than hang on to it.
The Communist was difference: they shackled their soldiers/ gunneries to the big guns or tanks. Their pilots had been trained: stay with the aircratfs rather than coming home and be shipped to labour camp. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:40 am

Hilop,
Same thing had been trained and taught here in Australia to all bank tellers :lol: same as commercial pilots: never against any wills or demands from the robbers/ hijackers :wink:

And it's part of OHS Compliance also!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Copy a link from digitalreview.ca, retail pricing of D200 & accessories in US & Canada:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD200_page4.shtml
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:02 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Copy a link from digitalreview.ca, retail pricing of D200 & accessories in US & Canada:

Canadian pricing tends to be fairly similar to Australian pricing.

Does this mean we're going to see the D50 put in the place it should've been introduced at... the sub-1000 mark?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:07 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Copy a link from digitalreview.ca, retail pricing of D200 & accessories in US & Canada:

Canadian pricing tends to be fairly similar to Australian pricing.

Does this mean we're going to see the D50 put in the place it should've been introduced at... the sub-1000 mark?

Wait till Dec. to see what Maxwell offers!
Actually, It's with the current rebate of lens and flash on the D50.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:12 pm

Interesting prices - I notice that the remote is going to be expensive on a weight to price ratio :wink:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:16 pm

Vertical grip isn't badly priced though.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:16 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Interesting prices - I notice that the remote is going to be expensive on a weight to price ratio :wink:

That replaces the MC-20/ MC-20 is discontinued few months ago, it was a great wired remote for long time.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:18 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Vertical grip isn't badly priced though.

If you do the right sum in math, the total package still cost about $3.5k in Australia
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:35 pm

The D200 is made at the same plant as the D70/s.

This made an explanation why the stock of the D70s is not healthy.

Look at the following link at DPR, battery compartment

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond200/page4.asp

Perhaps they're busy with their mass production of the D200 overthere.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:44 pm

More finding:

The EN-EL3e on the D200 can't be used with the D70 or vice versa.

The EN-EL3a/b has two contacts and they're apart from each other while the EN-EL3e has three contact pins and they sit closer.

When I inserted the EN-EL3/b this afternoon into the D200, the D200 was not power up, same as I did other way around with the D70s.
Sorry! bastard, they didn't let me play long with it, and today is the third time I had a play with the D200.
None worked, so who's going to get the D200, have to get extra batteries for the d200 instead of use your existing batteries.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby johndec on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:09 pm

That's bad news Birdy. I was expecting that the D70 battery would still work (of course without the D200 battery metering provided by the 3rd contact).

At least the vertical grip takes AA batteries. I've got a heap of them :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:55 pm

Bjorn believes the viewfinder is bigger than the D2x:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

I tend to doubt it...
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby MCWB on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:37 pm

Well it's 95% coverage @ 0.94x magnification, whereas the D2X is 100% @ 0.86x (i.e the D200 has a slightly bigger image but slightly less frame coverage).
MCWB

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:25 am

If everything is right, then the first D200 from HKG will be in my hand first week of Dec.05, I have had the confirmation from HKS, same as the first 18-200VR II lens.

Good timing for Santa and your Xmas tree. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:39 am

Hopefully, we will have the D200 at the Xmas dinner evening for all attendees to try with the new Nikkor 18-200 VRII.
I try to get all the new flash units into store by that time and possibility it's the first meet with the present of all new Nikon released products.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby dooda on Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:25 am

Apparantly VRII detects random shake, and shake from things like a moving car which will be great for the demolition derby joy ride photos I'm going to be taking. :wink:
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:41 am

dooda wrote:Apparantly VRII detects random shake, and shake from things like a moving car which will be great for the demolition derby joy ride photos I'm going to be taking. :wink:

Should be very useful for well into such events as our Christmas dinner too, Dave. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:43 am

I might buy one on my 80th birthday :shock:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:45 am

sirhc55 wrote:I might buy one on my 80th birthday :shock:

Chris,
It's coming soon :shock: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby cyanide on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:21 pm

I know there will some limitations in quality, and it certainly won't stand up next to the 70-200VR, but do we have an indicative price for the 18-200 yet?

This sounds perfect for when I am out in a dusty environemnt and don't want to change lenses....

ETA: OK, just saw the other thread... will watch there for a price indication... thanks.
Rae
All the gear and no idea.
PPOK / Others' pics in my threads OK
cyanide

Postby dooda on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:43 pm

gstark wrote:
dooda wrote:Apparantly VRII detects random shake, and shake from things like a moving car which will be great for the demolition derby joy ride photos I'm going to be taking. :wink:

Should be very useful for well into such events as our Christmas dinner too, Dave. :)

Yeah, but out of respect for all of you, having a demolition derby in the middle of your christmas party may not be for everyone.

*off to take a poll*
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Interview with Nikon about D200

Postby birddog114 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:02 am

Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gooseberry on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:17 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Hopefully, we will have the D200 at the Xmas dinner evening for all attendees to try with the new Nikkor 18-200 VRII.
I try to get all the new flash units into store by that time and possibility it's the first meet with the present of all new Nikon released products.

That'll be interesting birdie, see if you can get a few of those new flash units, then the members can try this out

[img]http://forum.dpnet.com.cn/newbbs/12image/{67B00178-0B0A-4C06-A4D1-B28031D6D6A9}.jpg[/img]
gooseberry

Postby huynhie on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:30 pm

gooseberry wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Hopefully, we will have the D200 at the Xmas dinner evening for all attendees to try with the new Nikkor 18-200 VRII.

That'll be interesting birdie, see if you can get a few of those new flash units, then the members can try this out

Holy cow, it looks bigger than what I'd imagined. :shock:
huynhie

PreviousNext

Return to Information