Happy Birthday SoH

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Happy Birthday SoH

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:11 pm

Yep - 32 years young today - Sydney's harbourside, landlocked sailboat.

g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:19 pm

Thirty two years later it is just as big an eye sore as it was the day I shot part of the opening celebrations.

Cheers, - oh, and happy birthday.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby sheepie on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:36 pm

gstark wrote:Please restrict these types of postings to those where there are at least three "0"s...

At 32, this thing's a 'sprung chucken' ;)

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby stubbsy on Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:11 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Thirty two years later it is just as big an eye sore as it was the day I shot part of the opening celebrations.

Cheers, - oh, and happy birthday.

SS - just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

I've always found this a wonderful majestic building and am glad that it managed to be built even with the horrendous changes the pollies made to Utzon's vision. It sure beats the hundreds of toasters that populate the rest of the city.

More to the point, I find it superb photographically since the play of light and shade on its sails at different times of the day is so variable.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:50 pm

Peter,

Part of my rites of passage as a young news crew operative in the 1960s was the almost daily announcement by Works Minister Davis Hughes in his office in Macquarie Street following the white-anting of Utzon.

Somewhere I still have some old E-2 6x6 trannies I took of the site under construction at night. It was always so difficult to envisage what it was going to be when it was all just vertical acres of pre-formed concrete.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby leek on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Somewhere I still have some old E-2 6x6 trannies I took of the site under construction at night.

Please dig them out & scan them... I'd love to see them Walter...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:47 pm

As would I

In a similar vein, do you have any of, say, William St (or other Sydney icons) from around that period?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:53 pm

Moi too! I just love that building!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Glen on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:04 pm

I love that building, you always know where you are in the world when you see it.

I would be very interested to see any construction shots from that time. Still remember watching the Queen open it on TV
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby mdboo on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:44 pm

Hey gstark, could you post the EXIF (i think thats what its called?)

I would like to know what setting you shot that picture at....

Would be much appreciated :D

ps. im a nublet in training :lol:

=BlackWater=
The most secure computer in the world is one not connected to the internet. Thats why I recommend Telstra ADSL.
mdboo

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 pm

=BlackWater= wrote:Hey gstark, could you post the EXIF (i think thats what its called?)

I would like to know what setting you shot that picture at....

Would be much appreciated :D

ps. im a nublet in training :lol:

A nublet ???

Here's the EXIF:

Model - NIKON D70
DateTime - 2005:05:23 20:58:29
ExposureTime - 4/1 seconds
FNumber - 8
ISO - 200
ExposureProgram - Manual control
MeteringMode - Spot
LightSource - Tungsten
FocalLength - 110 mm
Lens - 80 - 400
ColorSpace - sRGB
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Information