D800E first pic

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D800E first pic

Postby Bob G on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Went up to Marcoola Beach for coffee with friends on Sunday and then after that thought I'd give the new D800E a try on this contrasty scene.

Taken around midday and I thought the camera nailed the exposure and the dynamic range appears to have held the highlights and shadows together pretty well.

Not a classic landscape but just making friends with the camera so to speak.

Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Re: D800E first pic

Postby ozimax on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 pm

It's obviously a hard life living up there on the Sunny Coast! :D With a D800E in tow...
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 am

That's particularly impressive if it's straight out of the camera without tweaking shadows and highlights.
Murray Foote

Postby Bob G on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 am

ozimax wrote:It's obviously a hard life living up there on the Sunny Coast! :D With a D800E in tow...

Life is good Ozi and as for the camera it might give me some renewed interest for a while.
Bob
Bob G

Postby Bob G on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Murray Foote wrote:That's particularly impressive if it's straight out of the camera without tweaking shadows and highlights.

Murray

Not straight out of camera but developed with minor work in a trial version of Lightroom 4.
The raw files seem to have a greater dynamic range than my d3 had.
Bob
Bob G

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:05 pm

I'd be counting those pixels....make sure you got what you payed for. :D :D :D Seriously....this is the camera for landscape buffs. And just to push the quality envelope, imagine a pano from 6 frames....the detail would be astonishing! With the D800 you should be able to produce 10" x 8" plate camera quality with a few joinups.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Bob G on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Matt. K wrote:I'd be counting those pixels....make sure you got what you payed for. :D :D :D Seriously....this is the camera for landscape buffs. And just to push the quality envelope, imagine a pano from 6 frames....the detail would be astonishing! With the D800 you should be able to produce 10" x 8" plate camera quality with a few joinups.

Exactly Matt
The natural file at 300dpi will be 24" x 16" (no interpolation) My printer is an Epson 3800 and I can print on 25" x 17" paper.
Epson printers like 360dpi or 720dpi and as soon as I get together some quality pics, I'll be experimenting to see the difference between 300dpi and 360dpi interpolated up to 24 x 16.

Meanwhile I'm on a learning curve with the trial version of Lightroom 4 having been forced into an upgrade with the appropriate version of ACR not being available to cs5.

All good fun.
Bob
Bob G

Postby biggerry on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 am

Bob G wrote:than my d3 had.

whats the reason for going to a D800E rather than a D4?

have you experienced any of the issues relating to focus being soft when using the left hand side AF points?

Bob G wrote:it might give me some renewed interest for a while.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Bob G on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am

biggerry wrote:
Bob G wrote:than my d3 had.

whats the reason for going to a D800E rather than a D4?

have you experienced any of the issues relating to focus being soft when using the left hand side AF points?

Bob G wrote:it might give me some renewed interest for a while.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Gerry,
Let's see - the reasons. I don't shoot sport and I'm not a photojournalist so there is little need of the frame rate of the D4. The size and weight and dynamic range of the D800E will be more suited to travel and landscape photography. I have already in recent years migrated my lens collection to quality nikon/zeiss glass. Therefor I can handle the resolution of the camera and it will be an advantage for large prints. Apart from the price advantage the camera is just plain more suited to my needs.

I have a lens align kit and in due course I will do some fine tuning of the focus at which time I'll try the various AF points.
Currently waiting for PS CS6 delivery when I'll process a couple of shots of the Story Bridge taken the other night which will hopefully show the resolution.

Nothing like a new toy to renew interest.
Bob
Bob G

Postby CraigVTR on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

Bob G wrote:Currently waiting for PS CS6 delivery when I'll process a couple of shots of the Story Bridge taken the other night which will hopefully show the resolution.

Bob
I just had a thought about your ACR issue, you could go with Capture NX2 for raw conversion to tiff and then process in CS5. But looks like I am too late with the suggestion. :)
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Bob G on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm

CraigVTR wrote:
Bob G wrote:Currently waiting for PS CS6 delivery when I'll process a couple of shots of the Story Bridge taken the other night which will hopefully show the resolution.

Bob
I just had a thought about your ACR issue, you could go with Capture NX2 for raw conversion to tiff and then process in CS5. But looks like I am too late with the suggestion. :)

Thanks Craig,
It was nx2 and a trial version of Lightroom 4.1 that I used for the above pic.At the moment I'm far more at home in Photoshop. Mark is going to give me a few pointers in Lightroom when he gets back from the Red Centre trip. The develop module is pretty straight forward but the library and other modules I like to get right before I make a mess on the filing/keyword system. Was expecting cs6 today but hasn't shown yet. Don't forget the sunrise Dicky Wreck offer when your on your week off.
Bob
Bob G

Return to First Image