Utilities... A 45 Minute Mini Project...

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I decided (not exactly sure why but hey, I'll run with it :)) to give myself a mini shooting project on a theme. I had my camera with me at work so I gave myself 45 minutes at lunchtime to work on the theme of "Utilities" to come up with something hopefully vaguely meaningful which would loosely converge with my chosen topic. As if it wasn't hard enough yet... I also decided to restrict myself to one focal length (35mm on full frame) and no cropping/zooming in post allowed - so what you see here is essentially straight out of camera converted to monochrome.

So how did I go...

Gas

Garbage

Water

Telecom

Fire

Sewer

Actually the restriction to just the 35/2 was probably a blessing in disguise - with just 45 minutes to roam the streets looking for things which met my brief there was no time to fluff about changing lenses, etc - just go small and light
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Re: Utilities... A 45 Minute Mini Project...

Postby Matt. K on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Good subject! It's the second image that catches my eye more than the others. It has a quality........draws me in and holds me there.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 pm

clever. i like the first 2.
your processing of the second is superb aswell btw.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:05 am

Great exercise...and those first images are awesome
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 am

Very good. My favourite is the 2nd last. I like the composition and symmetry.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Matt. K wrote:Good subject! It's the second image that catches my eye more than the others. It has a quality........draws me in and holds me there.

Rooz wrote:clever. i like the first 2. your processing of the second is superb aswell btw.

aim54x wrote:Great exercise...and those first images are awesome

Thanks Matt/Chris/Cam

Glad you liked the second - I had to suffer for it (standing in the filthy water you can probably see at the bottom... and the smell!!...) :)
I might shatter some dreams here but the second is actually a two shot HDR going straight to monochrome
FYI at the time (when I was taking the shots) I really liked the first (I'm sure people though I was very strange getting down close to the ground and shooting it from various angles and waiting for people to move, etc :)) - I don't think I got it to where I wanted it at the time tho.

Reschsmooth wrote:Very good. My favourite is the 2nd last. I like the composition and symmetry.

Thanks Patrick - that's mine as well - it looks good in colour too (with the very red doors) - I had to shoot that one from way above my head holding my arms straight up - to get near the height/angle I wanted
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Remorhaz wrote:Thanks Patrick - that's mine as well - it looks good in colour too (with the very red doors) - I had to shoot that one from way above my head holding my arms straight up - to get near the height/angle I wanted

Get a view camera :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Or a step ladder :)
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys