2009 Bathurst 1000 - A journey (of sorts).

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

2009 Bathurst 1000 - A journey (of sorts).

Postby Raskill on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Well, the circus has come and gone, the V8's have been around Bathurst, 161 times (+ practice) and moved on. I was lucky this year to have very few commitments, which meant that although I wasn't earning much for being there, i was able to spend my time taking the shots I wants.

Unfortunately, I was stricken (possibly the most apt word) with acute back pain and couldn't get to the track for the race. Michael_ was staying at my house, and was somewhat amused by my attempts to get there. I could neither do up my shoes nor carry my gear, but I was trying. Sanity prevailed, and I spent the race day flat on my back on the floor. :(

Anyway, enough bitching, here are some images.

Racing shots:

The FG Falcon of Johnson and Courtney coming through the Esses at full steam.
Taken with the 120-300 Sigma with 1.4 TC on it. More on this combo later.

The WOW Commodore. Taken with the 24-70 F2.8 Sigma. Very sharp and fast lens.

A commodore, powered by Bundy Rum. Perfect. :)

Commodore of Skaife and Murphy exiting Murrays Corner. Sigma 120-300 + 1.4 TC.

The Sigma 120-300 and TC combo provided a very useful 420mm @ F4. The combo was super sharp and quick to focus. I recommend it to anyone thinking of it. It hunted slightly in low light, for example, when I was using it for candid portraits in the pit bays, but other than that, was excellent. On the above image, you can count the bugs and scratches along the front of the car.

Some different racing shots:

Decided to try and do something different when I could as you can only take so many 'safe' shots before starting to go insane, and you dont learn anything new staying in your comfort zone.

Lowndes takes the dipper. 24-70 with CPL. underexposed sky and intentional lens flare.

Similar shot, closer crop. This shot is slightly done to death, but usually it is shot wide 14mm FE and the car is blurred.

Shot through a very small slit in the steel catchfence. The tightness of the opening plasyed fun games with the focus, causing it to deform the image vertically. Maybe someone else can explain it, but this one came out ok.

I was looking for a different shot for the finish line, and found this one, through the armco barrier. It frames ok, and with a deep blue sky would look good. The only issue is if the team have their pit to close to the finish line, the car will be to far away. This was taken during the shoot out.

While walking about this F/A-18 flew over a few times. This shot was taken during a high speed pass, with vapour condensing off the leading surfaces. The original is so sharp you can almost read the pilots rank/name on his cockpit. Most cool!

Portraits:

I decided to try and get some good portraits. I was hoping to get a few more on the sunday, but that was not to happen. I like these ones, taken over the 3 days I was trackside.

Mark Skaife launching his pictorial autobiography. Very good book (I got a couple of copies). I was trying to get all 3 images of skaife into the one image. This was the best I could get. Needed a wider lens, but 24mm would have to suffice.

Shane Van Gisbergen waiting and watching during the tense Saturday top ten shootout.

Realisation the dream is starting to sour. Lowndes and Whincup watch as Tander drives a pole giving lap.

Body language. Garth Tander fidgets during a press conference.

Jason Richards looks less than intrigued during a press conference following Fridays practice.

I guess from when I started motorsport photography to today has been a while, and I would have wanted too of learned a few things. Always look for the different shot. By all means, get your safe useful shots, but then experiment, and find different shots. You'll never grow as a photographer if you always and only go the safe option. If you need inspiration, look at Getty images, or Inetpics.

Hope you liked my images.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Re: 2009 Bathurst 1000 - A journey (of sorts).

Postby ozimax on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Nice shots from the great mountain. Sorry your back was crook Raskill.

I lived in Bathurst for years, but have never been to the race. In fact, my aunty still lives within short walking distance of the main entrance. I must drive down one day and see Holden win.... :D
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Big V on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Thank you for taking the time to put that together, it was a great read
Canon
Big V

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Very sorry to hear that you have been struck down by back pain. It was a beautiful read and the images are amazing. The advice to keep experimenting after you have your safe shots have not fallen on death ears.

Hope you feel better soon.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Jeff on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi mate
Good interesting post and of course images.

Jeff
Jeff

Postby MATT on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Great images and wonderful dialogue..

Mini meet next year anyone!!!!!!

MATT
MATT

Postby Glen on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Sorry to hear about your back Alan. The images you have got tell a good story.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys