Maroubra: a photographic journey (Part #2) Dial-up Warning

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

Maroubra: a photographic journey (Part #2) Dial-up Warning

Postby macka on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 pm

To continue on from Pat's (Rooboy's) earlier post, here, I thought I'd also contribute my photos from Maroubra over the past couple of years. Pat and I took up photography around about the same time that we moved here, and ever since I have grown to like both Maroubra and photography more and more. We are always walking aorund Maroubra Beach; whether trying to get fit, :wink: or just getting away from that damn thesis for half an hour, there's nothing like a walk along the coastline with the camera to leave you feeling refreshed.

To some extent, the photos we take at Maroubra are our experiments: Maroubra is where we try out our new lenses, various other new gear, techniques and styles. We may not take our best photos here, but we certainly take a lot of them. It's lucky Maroubra is such a beautiful place! :D

The ocean gives everything some character over time. Not long after moving here we bought ourselves a cheap Sigma tele (70-300) - did its job for the price and had a fun macro fuction to play with, too.

One of the great things about Maroubra Beach is that there's always someone there, always something happening, always something to photograph. Like crazy fishermen hopefully avoiding death by drowning.

The ubiquitous seagull. You can't help but photograph one or two of them when you live here. This one is about as cliched as they get, but I still liked it. Something about seagulls always makes me laugh. I think it's because they always look so serious.

The addition of a wide-angle lens changed everything. This was one of the first images I took with the Tokina 12-24. A new lens in this household always means a walk down to the beach.

Playing around with multiple exposures... The dynamic range is completely unrealistic, but the sky really did have these amazing rays of light.

These next two mark further explorations with the wid-angle - not the best shots, but the by this stage the Tokina is definitely proving to be a great way to show off Maroubra's dramatic side.

This is the image I took for the recent "wordplay" challenge, though the one I submitted was in colour. This version reflects my ever-increasing love of black and white, which I hope to slowly get better at.

Maroubra rewards those who get up early, though be prepared to get rained on. These next three taken just before daylight savings ended recently (right now one requires greater motivation to get up for sunrise).

The Birds...

And that concludes this journey around Maroubra... for now. :)[/url]
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:30 pm

Very nice Kris, I appreciate the commentary to go along with the pics, well done.
Alpha_7

Postby Glen on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:40 pm

Kris, once the wide angle started I really liked your images. The first two of the WA stand out for me, also the one of Patrick. A great group of images.
Glen

Postby wendellt on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:11 pm

itrs great to see a section like this
because everyones personal photographic journey is inspiring

so patrick and kris great job on pioneering this

form all pictures submitted its lovely to see the progress in each one of them
i love the moody ones most but last one in this set is great those birds just look so surreal

i also like trhe small details like thoughtful composition and isolation of main subject matter

excellent work
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby macka on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Thanks guys, glad you liked it and really appreciate your comments. Feedback, good and bad, is always such a good motivator to get better.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby ozimax on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:27 pm

An very enjoyable journey it has been over the past few minutes, great images with differing subjects and intent, a real feast. Many thanks for posting.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys