April 2010 - Challenge: RED!

Find our DSLRUsers.com challenges in this section.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

April 2010 - Challenge: RED!

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

At Big Red's suggestion, I'm posting this here as well. Why not?

We've not had one for a while, so a brief explanation is in order: Basically you take a photo, within the guidelines of the challenge's theme, and you submit it within the stated eligibility dates, to the email address challenges AT dslrusers DOT net, being sure to include your name and your membership username. To be eligible, you need to be a full member; check the FAQ for details. If you can post into, for instance, the bargains section, then you're fine. If you can't, but you think you should be able to enter, then shoot any of the mods a PM.

If you do something really silly, like forgetting to include your user name, then that will, no doubt, leave you somewhat RED faced.

Judging will be performed by a panel of three judges, selected from Mods and KMs most likely. This permits us greater flexibility in the selection of a theme for the challenge, and the way that entries will be interpreted for judging. Entries are shown to the judges anonymously, btw. I will announce the names of the judges in a few days' time; I'm not quite REDdy to do that yet.

This challenge will run through the month of April. It's a great time of year - Autumn - and that, we feel provides lots of opportunities to grab some great shots ... perhaps of the leaves on trees turning ..... RED! So, entries open on April 1, and will be accepted till midnight April 30.

OK, that's the housekeeping part done.

As I mentioned a few days ago, last week Leigh and I spent some time with some people from Canon, as well as their chief PR person in Australia. They gave us few toys that are of interest to you, our members.

For instance, right now Leigh is road testing a 550D. I had w bit of a play with it over the weekend too, and I must say, it's quite a nice little piece of kit. Quite fast, and the kit lens seems to be quite an improvement, optically, on earlier versions.

And no, that's not the prize. It was merely one of the toys that we have on hand.

For our various interests - which includes the radio show, as well as the forum, they also told us that it was recently the 45th anniversary of the electronic calculator. To commemorate this important event, Canon have produced a limited edition run of 45th anniversary calculators. These are small desktop calculators, solar powered, and they're not available anywhere int he retail channel.

Genuine, limited edition, collector units.

And they just happen to be bright red. Not the sort of thing that you are likely to lose in a hurry. :)

So, I have one of these special edition commemorative calculators as the prize for this challenge, for which the theme is ...

..... very simply ....

RED

DSLRUSERS.Com members, start your cameras!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: April 2010 - Challenge: RED!

Postby Big Red on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:55 pm

awesome theme and prize ...

right up my alley :mrgreen:
Big Red

Postby photomarcs on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 am

Ahh this makes me see so much RED. :rotfl2:

Seriously though, I'm thinking of EVERYTHING red that i can do..I really want one of those! hahaha
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 am

I've opened up the box for one, and they are really very cool.

Very neat looking, and the bright red is very distinctive.

And as to exclusive .... the serial number on the one I opened was 30/45. If I'm reading that correctly, that means that they've just made 45 of these, with this one being the 30th of them.

That makes them very exclusive ....

So get your entries in.

There's a long weekend coming up too!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:51 am

photomarcs wrote:Ahh this makes me see so much RED. :rotfl2:

Seriously though, I'm thinking of EVERYTHING red that i can do..I really want one of those! hahaha

You can always do the little red tick from a Nikon camera....or the red stripe off an L-series lens
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby lightning on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 pm

maybe the translator wasn't sure whether 30 was 45 in english and decided to covered all bases :? LOL
1 shot out of focus is a mistake, 10 shots out of focus is an experiment,
100 shots out of focus is a style!, anonymous.
lightning

Return to Challenges