This could be a problem

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

This could be a problem

Postby Matt. K on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:48 am

I’ve been a photographer for longer than I can remember and I have many learned friends in the industry. A few weeks ago I got a call from an old colleague who said the he had noticed something very peculiar. He had been reviewing his photographs from many years ago and had noticed that his images were gradually getting slightly darker as time progressed and that last year, 2016, they had lost almost half a stop of brightness. He checked his equipment and found everything seemed to be normal; he then consulted one of his more technical acquaintances to get his opinion. Nick Niepsi knows more about camera equipment than any other man living and he soon confirmed my friends findings. However, it was not just my friends photographs that were seemingly slightly darker than they should be…it was everybody’s! Nick scanned the photo hosting sites where he was able to critically evaluate thousands of images and confirmed that something odd was occurring. He then had a flash of inspiration and was able to plot geocoded imagery over Google Earth and made a startling discovery. The closer a photographer was to a commercial solar-panel plant the darker his photographs were. The conclusion was sober and disturbing…the installation of millions of solar panels around the planet were causing a corresponding decline in the quantity of light available for photographers. The panels were sucking up photons like some giant vacuum cleaner and making our world just that little darker. So what should you do to correct the situation? Well, if you are an amateur photographer, then nothing. You probably won’t even notice the difference. But if you are a professional and quality is critical to your work, then you may need to add a third or half of a stop exposure every time you take a photograph. (No need to do this if you are working in a studio with flash equipment. Flashguns are not affected). According to Nick if this phenomena continues then eventually we will all have to return our cameras to the manufacturers who will be required to adjust and recalibrate the light meters. No doubt this will be a costly process. But until then, keep an eye on your exposures and maybe stay away from solar panels when using your camera.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: This could be a problem

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:05 am

:up:
I think you should forward this valuable research on to Pauline Hanson, I am sure she will put it to good use.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby TonyT on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:24 am

Mr Darcy wrote::up:
I think you should forward this valuable research on to Pauline Hanson, I am sure she will put it to good use.

I would say the Government first, so they could put a Action Plan in place, to stop this from progressing further.
TonyT

Postby gstark on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:35 am

TonyT wrote:
Mr Darcy wrote::up:

I would say the Government first, so they could put a Action Plan in place, to stop this from progressing further.

I think that you mean "inaction" plan, but yes, I concur.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Curioser and curioser :?:
zafra52

Postby ozimax on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:29 am

Matt. K wrote:But until then, keep an eye on your exposures and maybe stay away from solar panels when using your camera.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby zafra52 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm

It is curious that this was published on April Fool's Day. :?:
zafra52

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:07 am

zafra52 wrote:It is curious that this was published on April Fool's Day. :?:

No, not really. :rotfl2:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Seriously folks....when half the world is covered in solar panels we will be walking around in darkness at mid-day due to a lack of photons!
On the other hand.... we can use our solar powered torches
..... :biglaugh:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to General Discussion