Went to the camera store this morning

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Went to the camera store this morning

Postby the dane on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi guys, caught the train into the town this morning, to have a look at 35 and 50 prime for Sony a 6000! I did like them both I think they are both different in own ways. I can't have both the wife said no! Now I'm not sure if it's just me or not but there doesn't seem to be a big difference between 35 Prime and zoom 35 same with 50 prime to my 50zoom!
In saying that I was allowed to walk out onto the main street but I also had a salesman standing next to me! So maybe I didn't take it all in! The shop I was looking at was $50 more expensive than 2 other shops in my local City, and roughly $140 more than ordering online with free postage interstate! I really wish I had taken my own camera so when I come home I could have looked at the shots then compare them to my zoom lenses! I think with the 35 I needed to sit down and take a photo of someone's face with a beer in hand example! But I did like the 50 on cars on the street! So I'm almost back to square one again. I might go to another shop during the week and take the my camera in

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
the dane

Re: Went to the camera store this morning

Postby Dave-D40 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:06 am

Nothing worse than lens shopping, so much i would have if i could have. have fun reaching your decission. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Nikon D7100/D7200, Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 55-300, Nikkor 30, Nikkor 105 macro, Nikkor 10 - 24, Tokina 11 - 16, Tamron 150-600mm, SB600, Misc other
Dave-D40

Postby Matt. K on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 pm

35mm best for street photography, 50mm best for portraiture.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby the dane on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Went to another camera shop today they had the sony 35mm but no 50mm! Was allowed to try out side, was amazed how fast it focuses. They also had a sigma 30mm 2nd hand for a quarter of the price of the sony, it just seemed slow with the auto focus and face reconsider

the dane

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:01 am

the dane wrote:Went to another camera shop today they had the sony 35mm but no 50mm! Was allowed to try out side, was amazed how fast it focuses. They also had a sigma 30mm 2nd hand for a quarter of the price of the sony, it just seemed slow with the auto focus and face reconsider

The Sigma may be a quarter of the price, but you'll find that there's a very good reason why that's the case. And why it's a second hand lens, and for sale. We have one example of that lens in the family (Nikon mount) and there's a lot of paint that has peeled from the body.

You'll be way better off with the Sony glass, remembering that as you develop your photography skills, the glass that you buy is where you will actually be spending your money. Invest in good glass and it will last you a lifetime, while you will find that you may replace the body every few years.

Given that your minister for finance has said just the one lens, you need to consider the types of photos you want to be shooting. Echoing what Matt has said, for portraits and people shots, the 50 is absolutely the way to go. For travel images, such as landscapes and street or candid photography, then I would tend towards the 35.

And as Dave said, isn't this fun? :rotfl2:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the dane on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:25 am

Its fun but i went down wrong path a few years back. With a Nikon dslr and 3 huge lenses in a back pack. It got to the stage where it was like a chour in the end. Was fun at first then no so fun. Wife loved the photos but it was quick look at that, take that, shoot that, video that, change lens! I was not enjoying my holiday time at all! And dont get me started on our gopro. Then a few years back i saw the sony on a dive boat in Cairns, soo small soo fast. So brought it the next week with the twin lens kit. And thats the reason my wife says one new lens.

the dane

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:04 am

Balancing your photography "habit" with other activities can be quite a chore.

When I'm traveling - before I go - I have to seriously consider what gear I'm going to take with me on the trip. On a recent weekend in Melbourne, just a phone. This year's trip to N'Awlins for French Quarter Fest was going to be with the Canon, but about a week before departure I'd managed to arrange a couple of musician interviews, so it was the Nikon with three primes.

When I'm at a gig - whether there to play or just to listen - I find that if I have a camera and I'm shooting, then it's harder - much more difficult - for me to enjoy the music than might otherwise be the case. It's a choice - and a conscious decision - that one needs to be aware of, and make.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:05 am

I'm looking for a travel camera for my upcoming 2017 UAE - Spain - Thailand - Singapore - India trip. It has to be small, weather proofed, 12-300mm, F1.2 and medium format sensor..... :lol:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:05 am

ozimax wrote:I'm looking for a travel camera for my upcoming 2017 UAE - Spain - Thailand - Singapore - India trip. It has to be small, weather proofed, 12-300mm, F1.2 and medium format sensor..... :lol:

You forgot pin sharp edge to edge at every setting. :P
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby the dane on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Well guys I decided to get the
α LENSES
E 35mm F1.8 OSS! And to make things better I received an email from a camera shop where I live that's has a Sony 4 day 10% discount special! Anyway I went on the train again into the city to the camera shop, tell them what I want and they don't have the stock. I then went to another camera shop where I got to try the lens out on the street and guess what they don't have any stock. I went to do more shops and no one had the lens. apparently it's all on back order and up to 3 week wait. I contacted Sony Australia today who said they have stock in the warehouse! I rang the first camera shop the at the 10% discount and they say the system is saying No stock in the Sony Warehouse! I also emailed camera shops in Sydney and they write back saying they have a lot of stock! So worse comes to worse I can order through the Internet. Or wait till January when we are on holidays as we are staying in Sydney for 4 nights before flying to Indonesia! Then I suppose I can check out some of the larger camera shops and see who's got the best deal on that lens! It was a very frustrating day seeing I was only in the city on Monday (trying lens out) surely someone should have said we don't have stock!
Wow

the dane

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:11 am

the dane wrote:It was a very frustrating day seeing I was only in the city on Monday (trying lens out) surely someone should have said we don't have stock!

And bricks and mortar stores wonder why they're losing business.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the dane on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Any way long story is done. Ordered at the store. Comes when it comes. Best bit get a few beers in each time i travel to the city

the dane

Return to General Discussion