Book review-Inventing Robert Capa

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Book review-Inventing Robert Capa

Postby Matt. K on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:47 pm

This is a wonderful read and brings to life the early days of Robert Capa when he was struggling to make ends meet as a down and out in Paris in the 1930’s. It was the remarkable Gerda Taro, probably the world’s first female war photographer and his lover, who took him in and channelled his energies into camera craft. The book is a ‘must read’ for any serious student of the art of photography. Gerda herself became famous for her war photography, often shooting side by side with Capa, but her untimely tragic death in Spain at the age of 26 saw history forget and pass her by whilst Capa’s candle glowed ever brighter. More than 10,000 mourners attended her funeral.
For me it put into perspective something I was aware of for many years…I was never impressed with Capa’s photography though I never doubted his bravery. To my taste his images were products of time and place, without the deeper context of some of the wonderful images produced by the like of Larry Burrows, Tim Page, Don McCullin, Horst Faas, Nick Ut, Eddie Adams et al. In fact, many others. I found it interesting too that Taro had to goad and push a reluctant Capa to become a photo journalist in the first place, often waking him in the morning so that he would not be late for an important photo shoot.
I have in my library a dog eared, yellow paged first edition of a travel book written by John Steinbeck with photography by Robert Capa….and the images are……to be quite blunt…..plain awful, lacklustre ordinary. The technical quality of Capa’s images also left much to be desired even allowing for the lack of refinement in film emulsions and vintage Leica cameras. Taro’s images, on the other hand had a more considered composition. They contained little clutter and were more iconic. She had an eye for balance and context. It was however, Capa’s coverage of the Spanish war that made his reputation, and he built on that to become one of the most respected war photographers of all time. He even accompanied US troops landing on the machine gun swept beaches of Normandy on D day and produced some iconic imagery.
The book also describes the hardships of life in Paris as the young refugees from the Nazis struggled to find work and feed themselves. It contains many fine images and is extremely well written by Jane Rogoyska.
Interest in Taro peaked after the discovery of a suitcase in Mexico in 2007 that contained thousands of Capa’s negatives thought lost during WW2. It also contained about 2000 negatives wrongly attributed to Capa, but in fact taken by Taro. The quality of these images has helped to resurrect her reputation and place her firmly in the history of photography where she rightly belongs.
Highly recommended.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: Book review-Inventing Robert Capa

Postby zafra52 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:13 pm

That was an insightful and well done review.
zafra52

Postby ozimax on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 am

Isn't the story true that despite Capa photographing D-Day, an over-zealous lab technician unfortunately destroyed the negatives, of which only a few are available today?

Good report Matt.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:44 am

Ozzi
Yes, that's true. At one time it was rumoured that the lab tech was Larry Burrows but this turned out to be a rumour. It seems the negatives were ruined by a lab tech named Dennis Banks. He was 15 years old. In my opinion any photographer worth his salt should develop his own negatives. It's much too important a task to leave to others.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby zafra52 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm

I agree with the above, considering at the time the media available for recording was film. However, we must remember also that the difficult circumstances and environment of war journalist and photographers may not allow for film development.
zafra52

Postby gstark on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Matt. K wrote:Ozzi
Yes, that's true. At one time it was rumoured that the lab tech was Larry Burrows but this turned out to be a rumour. It seems the negatives were ruined by a lab tech named Dennis Banks. He was 15 years old. In my opinion any photographer worth his salt should develop his own negatives. It's much too important a task to leave to others.

As much as that may be the most desirable option, this was the D Day landing, and perhaps not the most optimal environment within which one could develop one's negs. IIRC, there were only about 5 negs usable from the three rolls that were shot. Prints from these negs are in the Getty Museum in LA. I was fortunate to have seen them in a wonderful display about 9 years ago.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Now if you REALLY want to stir up a hornets nest.....just go along with this version. :D :D :D :D :D
And who knows? It just may be true.

http://www.nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/p ... n-d-day-7/
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby ozimax on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Matt. K wrote:Ozzi

My good friend Geoffrey Lee was the chief photographer for Conde Naste for many years and travelled the world shooting idyllic places and famous people. He always carried large vials of developing fluids on board the ships, and could take down/reassemble his cameras with his eyes closed. However I understand the logistics of war time photography and the points made.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Matt. K on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:41 am

Gary
I believe Capa returned directly back to London and personally hand delivered the film to the lab. In this case he probably could have processed the film himself. I guess with his reputation it was probably standard practice to have lab technicians do the bread and butter work.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:56 pm

That's not the story I was told at the Getty when we saw these images (and many other great ones) about 10 years ago.

Driving down Fairfax this afternoon we saw advertising banners for the current exhibition at the Getty: images from WW1. Was disappointed that we didn't have time to visit. Ah well.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion