It's been a while.

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

It's been a while.

Postby Killakoala on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:57 pm

Hey guys/gals.

The ticker up the top says I last logged on 20 Jun 2013. :)

I've been busy, I'm sorry. Also my new non-photography hobbies have been taking up valuable time. I used to play a trumpet, but late last year I taught myself to play Tenor Saxophone and I have been fastidiously playing that ever since. Such that I now play in 3 bands, a Swing band, a concert band and a society orchestra. Also I have been doing lots of landscaping and garden work on my property.

Photography has taken a bit of a back seat, however I have managed to take a few pics here and there of auroras and animals that visit my garden. I'll post a few later.

I've also decided that after nearly 40 years living in this country, it's time to relocate and immerse myself in another culture. But nothing too alien, so I've decided to move to New Zealand. There are a few stumbling blocks to clear first before I go, but planning is well on its way.

Plus I also developed cataracts in both my eyes. I lost 70% of my vision in my right eye within about 6 months before I had a lens replacement. Best lens I ever bought :) My left eye still needs surgery as it is at 50% loss of vision and worsening. But most importantly, I now have vision again (in one eye) and for that I am very grateful. The experts are at a loss as to why I developed cataracts so quickly and while I'm still aged below 50. It's not unheard of, but is unusual.

So there you go, a busy year indeed :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Re: It's been a while.

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:15 am

Sorry to hear about the cataracts, great to hear about the surgery success. I have been missing your photos, and it is nice to have you check in here. A move across the other ditch to NZ? I am sure that willl invoke the photographer in you.

I admire you, teaching yourself to play the Saxaphone, I attempted last Christmas to learn guitar but made little headway and it now sits in the corner of the loungeroom look pretty.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:21 am

Welcome back Steve. Hope you get all your sight back in both eyes.

My daughter emigrated to New Zealand a few years back. She found the cost of living prohibitively high and remuneration from her job too low. She has just returned permanently (or what passes for permanent these days) to Oz. She has chosen to settle in Melbourne.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Steve - I know we have communicated quite often but I am sorry to hear about the eye problems. Hopefully you will be able to have a second lens installed, maybe a macro :up:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Killakoala on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:00 am

sirhc55 wrote:Hi Steve......snip..... Hopefully you will be able to have a second lens installed, maybe a macro :up:

I was hoping for a zoom with low light or night vision capability, but they don't make them yet. :)

And thanks guys, it's nice to be back amongst friends.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:28 am

Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you. But NZ? Who did you piss off to deserve that outcome?

On the cataracts, I had both of my eyes done in May/June just past. Right eye done at the end of May, left one the following week.

Amazing surgery - no bandages, just wear sunglasses for a few hours after the procedure, and back home within a couple of hours after the surgery was completed. I now have a pair of readers for close-up work, but otherwise no vision correction is needed.

I hope that at the end of the vision journey, your outcomes are as good as mine.

And tell us more about your musical endeavours; you know music is one of my many pasttimes.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Greetings Steve. Whereabouts are you relocating to? Whykickamoocow bay? Honahiki region? Pyes Pa? Enjoy your time in NZ and hurry back. :)

I play numerous instruments, but brass ones aren't on the horizon yet. I do want to learn the trumpet though. Robyn says I have more than enough hot air so shouldn't be a problem.

Hope the eyes get better soon.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby zafra52 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Welcome back. NZ is a lovely country and a photographer paradise to boot. I have only visited the South island, but I believe the North island is also very photogenic.
A friend of mine has had his eyes operated to remove cataracts and replace the lenses in both eyes. He could not believe the amount of light and colour he could see post the operations. Not a cheap experience.
zafra52

Return to General Discussion