A wonderful story...beautiful pictures

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Matt. K on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: A wonderful story...beautiful pictures

Postby chrisk on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:52 pm

wonderful story ? definitely.
beautiful pictures ? not so much.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby biggerry on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:26 pm

ya get locked up for that now :)

Tichý famously once said, “First of all, you have to have a bad camera”, and, “If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world.”

:?
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:46 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The photos shown, although not technically perfect, do have an artistic merit to them.

When one looks at his ‘Nikon’ it is just amazing how he managed to get any photos at all. Fancy making a lens for your Nikon/Canon/Olympus/Fuji et al out of some plastic and using a toothbrush and ash to grind said lens.

I myself really do yearn for the days, many years ago, when it was my passion to take candids of people and children. Today, I would end up in a cell and it is truly sad that the art of candid photography has become such a frowned upon art form.

Not everything becomes better as time goes by.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby chrisk on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:53 am

They do ? Photos of a large woman's ass bending over to adjust her shoe has artistic merit ? lol

I don't know. I get the feeling if they were taken with an iPhone and a snapseed grunge filter applied there would be many people saying you can't put lipstick on a pig or no amount of pp will save a rotten picture. Yadda yadda.

The story is very interesting. The contraption is fascinating. I suspect this is why we may feel like the photos have merit, (and I don't mean technically). IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20 am

sirhc55 wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The photos shown, although not technically perfect, do have an artistic merit to them.

When one looks at his ‘Nikon’ it is just amazing how he managed to get any photos at all. Fancy making a lens for your Nikon/Canon/Olympus/Fuji et al out of some plastic and using a toothbrush and ash to grind said lens.

Chris,

Don't overlook the fact that we have a working Coke bottle lens here in Starkland.

I myself really do yearn for the days, many years ago, when it was my passion to take candids of people and children. Today, I would end up in a cell

And that's not taking into account your photography ... :) :)

and it is truly sad that the art of candid photography has become such a frowned upon art form.

Seriously though, yes.

We, as a society, seem to cater only to the lowest common denominators, and the rest of us suffer as a result.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

Art and the application of art is a varied field of techniques and results. Each artist in history has had a technique that they follow and then you have the acolytes who follow the so called masters.

From sable brush to finger painting they all have their place in this field of art. The one beauty in art is how we individually appraise an offering. The intense like of one person can be diametrical to another. The same can be said of photography. I personally love the work of Man Ray but there are people who look upon his work as being both obscure and technically imperfect.

This forum illustrates the differences in what we like and what we don't. I must admit to being very selective and generally only making comments on posted photos that I like and make no comments on the ones I do not. Unfortunately this stems from the fact that we tend to look on one another as friends and as such do not want to insult a friend by giving negative comments on photos. Of course there are exceptions to what I have just said.

In one of the most famous photos ever taken we see a man at the moment of death. His arms are reaching up as if towards his maker and his rifle is still held. The photo is not in focus and it depicts a moment in time that the photographer would remember until his own death, but for the subject of the photo he would never know the fame he created for another by dying.

In art, and photography is one part of art, we can expect so many millions of variations on a theme that everyone on this planet can have an individuals consensus on whether they like something or not. That’s life.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby zafra52 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:09 pm

A charming story that goes to prove that a good photograph is made by a good photographer despite his/her camera.
zafra52

Postby Matt. K on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

I like the images for the following, (personal), reasons:
They are not posed and so show a glimpse of reality...life as it was and will never be again
They capture the essence of a woman, her vanity, her grace and her beauty, her indulgences
They are unpretentious and don't pretend to be anything that they are not
The imperfections are like a veil....we are voyeurs and the veil gives us something to hide behind
there is a sexuality to the images that is not intentionally expressed...yet it is displayed without self-consciousness
there is a beauty in the forms, the composition, a simplicity of vision

The fact that they were made with a pathetic object of a camera does not influence my appreciation of the charm that these pictures display. I think they deserve their place in the gallery.
Just my opinion.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to General Discussion