Fuji X-T1 / 56mm first look

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Fuji X-T1 / 56mm first look

Postby ozimax on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm

As has been already posted, I am now the possessor of a shiny new X-T1, together with the brand spanking new Fuji 56mm F1.2 lens. I have only had a maybe a half hour stick time with the beast, so I can't report much at this time, except to say that it is a joy to use. It's not quite in the user realm of the Olympus E-M1, which is phenomenal, but it's pretty close.

The Fuji achilles' heel, the focussing, has been all but fixed. It's not perfect but it's pretty good and light years ahead of the XP1. (Mind you, the XP1 is pretty darn good now with firmware updates and when it locks on, it's great.)

Handling is great. The multiplicity of dials makes changing settings a doddle. The EVF is the best I've ever seen. Fullstop. It is amazing. I was one of the crowd who thought I'd never get used to an EVF (hence the original purchase of the XP1 with it's OVF), but this thing is wonderful. 8fps shooting is blazing fast. The buffer is large. Face recognition works well, although I'm still trying to figure that out. (Basically, using face recognition involves a largish green rectangle, with a smaller yellow or green rectangle within the first one. When the rectangles are green/yellow, the shutter fires instantaneously, but when the rectangles are green/green, there's a fairly long shutter lag. There's obviously something I'm missing. I may be forced to read the manual, which I never do.)

Anyway, here's a few photos taken this afternoon. I'm only shooting jpg at present, with low noise reduction. I'm sure when the time is right the raw files will yield well, but in any case, Fuji's jpg's are as good as they get.

Fuji 56mm, F1.2 in very low early evening light, indoors, ISO 2000. It is fairly heavily cropped. (The lens is very sharp at 1.2, but renders quite differently from my old favourite, the Canon 50L. I will most probably shoot the thing around 1.6, which is what I did with the Canon 50L. Again, the bokeh IMHO isn't other-world like the Canon. Glass is glass and there's more of it in the heavy Canon, but the Fuji is still pretty good.)

Late afternoon light, 56mm F4, ISO 640

Fuji 18-55mm at 55mm
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Fuji X-T1 / 56mm first look

Postby aim54x on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Great stuff Ozi....how is your D-pad on the X-T1...the shop demo is really bad, but I have heard that it has been "fixed" in later batches
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:43 am

aim54x wrote:Great stuff Ozi....how is your D-pad on the X-T1...the shop demo is really bad, but I have heard that it has been "fixed" in later batches

Seems fine to me.
ozimax

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:35 am

Your lovely lady has never looked better.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:31 am

gstark wrote:Your lovely lady has never looked better.

Aye indeed she is a stunning beauty, even after putting up with me for over 32 years!
ozimax

Return to General Discussion