Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and Galapagos

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and Galapagos

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:03 pm

As most of us do, I'm back one week from a great adventure in Egypt and already scoping out another adventure holiday (probably again solo) this time I'm considering Peru and in particular the the three star attractions in that area the Inca Trail (if I can get fit enough), Machu Picchu and the Galapagos islands. Just wondering if anyone here had been to any of these, from memory I thought I'd seen Peru photos posted before ? I'd be keen to hear any stories, recommendations etc

Cheers!
Alpha_7

Re: Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and Galapagos

Postby glennles on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Oh No :(

I don't need these kind of thoughts in my head Craig. I'm absolutely stinging to go overseas again but sadly the amount of leave I have accrued is too low.

I was planning a Riding and Photography trip to NZ in October but Peru sounds much more exotic
glennles

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Come on Glenn, it will take me a year to get into shape for the Inca Trail, by that time you'll have enough leave.

Then you can be my wingman and we can share the weight of all the lenses and tripods will need :P
Alpha_7

Postby glennles on Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Hehe. Time to witness the fitness :D
glennles

Postby radar on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Craig,

we've been looking at those destinations as well. One thing to make sure is to get a reputable outfitter. That way, you get the porters to carry the heavy stuff :D

I've always been impressed with World Expeditions. Have a look at their website for trip details. They combine trips all over South America, so you are only limited by your hip pocket :wink:
http://www.worldexpeditions.com.au/

You probably want to plan to have at least three weeks. That leaves you time to visit cities in Peru as well.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:46 pm

I was really impressed by my Egypt tour with Imaginative Traveller http://www.imaginative-traveller.com/, and they do a few different tours in the area, so they are so far my first preference. They strongly push the responsible traveller line, so look after the communities and the locals etc

But at this stage I'd consider any recommendations, I'd really like to climb the peak above Machu Picchu but few tours offer this as an option, is more of a book it yourself job. But thanks André for the link I'll check it out.
Alpha_7

Postby radar on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 am

Craig,

World Expeditions also have a "Community Project Travel" where you dedicate a few days of your travel to work in a community where you are travelling to, eg help build a school/bridge/etc. If you are interested in something like this, have a look on their web site. They are also very much into using locals and sustainable and responsible travel. Their Sydney office is in the city and if you get interested in their trips, they would be happy for you to drop in and have a chat. They also run information nights so keep an eye out for that as well.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby colin_12 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:11 am

Hey Craig,
When a mate of mine went over there a few years ago they were really discouraging the climb above Machu Picchu. It has become rather unstable not to mention it is steep to start with.
He was pretty fit and playing very active sports a few times a week when he went. The Inca trail still took him a great deal of effort. Considdering some of the stuff we climb here at home that trail must be something. Watch out for the llamas as they tend not to give way! :shock:
So where will you start hiking here? There are some great areas to start yourself on up in the Blue Mountains. :up:

Hope this is of use,
Regards Colin
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:53 am

Colin and André,

Thanks for the additional information, I'll definitely check out the Community Project Travel, it would be nice to make a positive difference on your trip, and I'm sure it would be an awesome and rewarding experience.

Colin - Thanks for the info about the climb, one of the main reasons I'm psyhc to do the walk is one of the guys had finished it a few weeks before joining our Egypt tour, and he certainly was fitter then me, but I wouldn't say he was athletic, just a fit IT geek. I hadn't considered hiking in the blue mountains (my head hadn't got that far) but that sounds like an excellent idea, and certainly a good way to ease the body into it, rather then dropping it into the deep, fast flowing end of the river :)

Thanks again for the feedback, you've given me plenty of food for thought.

Cheers,
Craig
Alpha_7

Postby wile_E on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Craig,

I did pretty much that trip that you have described (except we didn't have enough time to go to the Galapagos - we saw wildlife off the coast of Pisco instead). In fact, most organised travel companies will pretty much do the "gringo trail" as we ended up calling it. Even managed to accidently bump into a friend (several times) from Sydney travelling with another group.

For out travel (I went with Intrepid Travel), fitness wise you need to be able to walk for a couple of hours each day carrying a day pack (plus whatever photographic equipment you decide to bring along). Porters carried EVERYTHING else (including a person at one stage... long story) and do everything (setup camp, cook 3 course meals etc). On the trail itself its more the acclimatisation to the altitude that is important. We spent several days at Colca Canyon doing this, so we were fine. There were others that flew straight in and began the trail - they were the ones who sufferred (even with copious amounts of coca leaves).

When you're there (at Machu Picchu), don't forget to climb Wyna Picchu!!

Check out some photos (hopefully to whet your appetite) :D
wile_E

Postby Onyx on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 am

Also, I believe one or several seasons of the TV show Survivor was shot in/around there. If you could spare the bandwidth, maybe you could source those as between the bickering and bitching of the contestants on the show; they do show some spectacular scenery of the area.

Craig if you're ever up for a Blue Mtns hike, I know a Hazelbrook/Springwood based hiking group that I'm supposed to be a part of... (I say, having had my last walk with them some 2 yrs back).
Onyx

Postby Oscar on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for this thread Craig. It will probably cost me dearly. Donna and I also have this on our agenda.

So now if Donna sees this we will be planning another trip - and we are just about to go on holidays now!

The links show some great possibilties. All looks good. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers, Mick

Perhaps if you get a few more interested people you could organise a mini-meet.
Oscar

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Wanted to resurect this old thread to say, its been stewing and brewing but it's finally happening.

Stubbsy and I are off next year to Galapagos, Machu Picchu and beyond. Not doing the Inca Trail as we are trying to get as much in as possible while in South America.

Exciting times!
Alpha_7

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:24 pm

Excellent news! I cant wait to see the pictures
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:28 am

Should be a fun trip.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Indeed!
I was looking at the Patagonian pictures of friends in Instagram yesterday and though they only are using their mobile phones and a tablet, their landscape pictures were great and superb memories of their trip.
I gather you will be after publishable pictures. But, though I never been in the South America continent yet, I believe you will find a wealth of photographic opportunities any time you point your camera in any direction because the landscapes are breathtaking, the flora is quite exotic and the people and customs are fascinating.
zafra52

Return to General Discussion